Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Joyce Jr V Martin O Donnell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm all for traveler bashing, but not multiple threads on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Is Joe Joyce Junior's Davey's Martin in the Royal Rumble tonight or were they arrested for illegal fighting?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jaws Ward has nothing to fear against either of the two lads today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

That is because they are the only ones who do it. once they meet Cubans they go down hard and fast. I would say Katie Taylor and Michael Carruth were the only decent people involved in the sport in my living memory. Even Katie Taylor has had her star tainted.

Boxing is a dirty sport with some very powerful figures moving in the background. Every boxer comes with a tragic ending of some sort.

Travellers are the only people boxing? What are you even talking about?

As for Cubans, Cubans are known for elusive footwork and a very technical form of boxing, not come-forward banging people out. The likes of John Joe Nevin, Joe Ward, David Oliver Joyce have all boxed well at elite international level, including against Cubans (who are known to be difficult for everyone, not just Travellers)

Every boxer meets a tragic end?

Mate you've clearly never done the sport and have no clue what you're talking about. You're embarrassing yourself with this rubbish honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Andy Lee was a world champion and is getting a good bit of work broadcasting now that he's retired. Seems like a very clever and nice lad any time I've heard him speak.

Yeah but he is just exception that proves the rule. Look how far Kenny Egan has fallen. Silver medalist to Addiction counsellor to FG councillor. Does the barrel have no end to the ends that man has to fall to?

Barry McGuigan has arthritis in his hands and had a horrible court case with Barney Eastwood. Steve Collins marriage fell apart. Chris Eubank seems to have kept on the straight and narrow.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Travellers are the only people boxing? What are you even talking about?

As for Cubans, Cubans are known for elusive footwork and a very technical form of boxing, not come-forward banging people out. The likes of John Joe Nevin, Joe Ward, David Oliver Joyce have all boxed well at elite international level, including against Cubans (who are known to be difficult for everyone, not just Travellers)

Every boxer meets a tragic end?

Mate you've clearly never done the sport and have no clue what you're talking about. You're embarrassing yourself with this rubbish honestly.

I never claimed to have done the sport. Was John Joe Nevin arrested or lost his lisence for fighting with a guard?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/boxer-john-joe-nevin-told-to-keep-his-fighting-in-the-ring-1.2221414

Its no good being a great boxer if you are going to lose your lisence to box over a few pint and be thrown in the drunk tank. I am not going there with the Wards and Joyces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Andrew00 wrote: »
    What?

This street fighting is illegal. They should have been all arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Should be a good fight, two big, strong, well trained men.

Personal, family and clan pride at stake. Plus a sizable purse.

If it's not over in the first 5 minutes it could go on for over an hour, and there's no breaks allowed.

There's gonna be some bragging rights after this one.

That's very debatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Yeah but he is just exception that proves the rule.

No he's not. Bernard Dunne is working with the Dublin team. I believe they've been doing alright.

Wayne McCullough owns a very successful gym in Santa Monica.

Michael Carruth is happy out telling enyone that will listen about his gold medal.

This street fighting is illegal. They should have been all arrested.

There was several Gardai vans/cars at the hotel today prior to the fight which were visible to see in some of the videos (with armed Gardai on standby apparently).

They knew the fight was going on but didn’t want to interfere because they are scared

• Advertisement

VeryTerry wrote: »
    No he's not. Bernard Dunne is working with the Dublin team. I believe they've been doing alright.

Wayne McCullough owns a very successful gym in Santa Monica.

Michael Carruth is happy out telling enyone that will listen about his gold medal.

And best of luck to them. They had the sense to get out early. Its like pop stars for everyone that does make it and get out early there are 200 who dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Someone sent me the fight on WhatsApp. Load of ****e in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

I just watched some of that fight. The greatest load of **** I ever seen. Was that joyce in the blue shorts? At least the other lad looked like he wanted to fight. Joyce was walking backwards the whole fight. Them knackers are all talk and no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

FTA69 wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Travellers are represented throughout amateur boxing in Ireland and England and do very well.

They get by on attributes. I'm not denying some are good but I've yet to ever see one fight hard when the sh@t hits the fan. Heart isn't there.

Your traveller is good because he's skillful, quick, has a hard punch(rare) but when they really have to fight the gut ain't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

That is because they are the only ones who do it. once they meet Cubans they go down hard and fast. I would say Katie Taylor and Michael Carruth were the only decent people involved in the sport in my living memory. Even Katie Taylor has had her star tainted.

Boxing is a dirty sport with some very powerful figures moving in the background. Every boxer comes with a tragic ending of some sort.

Not true in fairness.

Our very best boxers are/were not travellers.

They do very well up to a point but I'm still waiting for someone to show me a traveller who can dig their heels in when the going gets tough.

Another thing (folk who have boxed only can answer) why can none take a body shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

There was several Gardai vans/cars at the hotel today prior to the fight which were visible to see in some of the videos (with armed Gardai on standby apparently).

They knew the fight was going on but didn’t want to interfere because they are scared

A fight between 2 grown men on private property,.no complaints forth-coming,no breach of the peace.. 'probably' words shared between Gardaí and travellers beforehand.....
    And you assume the Gardaí were scared.. not true, the Gardaí would have taken total control if any law was breached. I've seen the Garda in action and especially in the last 3 or 4 years and they are taking ABSOLUTELY no crap from anyone,.....compared to maybe 10yrs ago!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They get by on attributes. I'm not denying some are good but I've yet to ever see one fight hard when the sh@t hits the fan. Heart isn't there.

Your traveller is good because he's skillful, quick, has a hard punch(rare) but when they really have to fight the gut ain't there.

Tyson Fury got dropped twice by the hardest hitter in the history of professional boxing and got up twice and was robbed by the judges.

Micky Ward was the protagonist of some of the most incredible fights and rivalries in professional boxing history.

Andy Lee came from behind to completely destroy a heavy favourite to win a world championship after his mentor and father figure died.

Joe Ward as a 17 year old won the European amateur championships despite being paired against 3 of the top 5 fighters in the world his weight class in the tournament.

You're full of beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

chosen1 wrote: »
    That's a pretty low blow in fairness.
    Not all degrees/doctorates have to be in maths or science.

If there were more like her instead of the likes of Joe Joyce and Martin O'Donnell, there would be an awful lot less problems within the travelling community.

Pavee point need to be holding her up as a roll model to young travellers instead of constantly complaining when us 'buffers' are sick of their cultural practices.

You're right actually, it was a low blow
    apologies

Full fight: https://youtu.be/xCT5Bv0Hgmk

Too much money at stake, 200k to the winner. Would’ve been a better fight if money was at 10k ect

wow, and here was me thinking Djokovic Nadal was the big event of Jan 27 .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yeah that’s a load of generalising nonsense lad. You’re spoofing something fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A fight between 2 grown men on private property,.no complaints forth-coming,no breach of the peace.. 'probably' words shared between Gardaí and travellers beforehand.....
    And you assume the Gardaí were scared.. not true, the Gardaí would have taken total control if any law was breached. I've seen the Garda in action and especially in the last 3 or 4 years and they are taking ABSOLUTELY no crap from anyone,.....compared to maybe 10yrs ago!?

I've witnessed the opposite, anything but deal with a problem head on

Where was this fight anyway ?
    Down the midlands ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

after months of sh%te talk it was a severe anticlimax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

after months of sh%te talk it was a severe anticlimax

One of the worse displays of pugilism I have ever witnessed either inside or outside the ring.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I've witnessed the opposite, anything but deal with a problem head on

Like a lot of guys knocking the Garda constantly, you seem to see what you want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

One of the worse displays of pugilism I have ever witnessed either inside or outside the ring.

How can a BKB fight be a draw like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

How can a BKB fight be a draw like.

When both fighters agree to end the fight with no winner declared.

Other than that it either ends by knockout, a fighter not being able to carry on through injury, a fighter giving up because they admit defeat or disqualification.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Like a lot of guys knocking the Garda constantly, you seem to see what you want to see.

Gardai around here are less than useless, maybe they're effective in your area and if they are I don't begrudge you your peace and quiet and the ability to feel safe in your area and home, but that is absolutely not the case in many parts of the country. I don't fully blame them, our courts are a joke, but to not point out their deficiencies is ridiculous.

El_Bee wrote: »
    Gardai around here are less than useless, maybe they're effective in your area and if they are I don't begrudge you your peace and quiet and the ability to feel safe in your area and home, but that is absolutely not the case in many parts of the country. I don't fully blame them, our courts are a joke, but to not point out their deficiencies is ridiculous.

You were already told in this thread that the fight was on privately owned land so there was nothing they could do about it. If I want to fight my cousin in a private garden and we both agree to it why should the Garda intervene? It would not be legal for them to do so. So for someone to come on spouting just for another excuse to get a go at them is really silly and vindictive.

You are right that N. Louth is well policed. In fact two Garda gave their lives there in the last few years and serve the community well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm backing Martin here.

The Joyce's can talk the talk and they do house a proud family name, but they are middle of the road men. They are not amongst top fighting men, albeit the O'Donnells aren't anything outstanding either, but they have better fighting men than the Joyce's.

Martin to do it within 15 mins.

You were already told in this thread that the fight was on privately owned land so there was nothing they could do about it. .

Yeah and I already said that the acceptance and celebration of crime and criminal behaviour is why the country is they way it is.

Yeah and I already said that the acceptance and celebration of crime and criminal behaviour is why the country is they way it is.

I wasn’t aware that having an arranged fight on private land was a crime.
    Maybe you could point out how it was?

I wasn’t aware that having an arranged fight on private land was a crime.
    Maybe you could point out how it was?

I'm not a legal expert, we can play word games and guess the crime all day long but aggravated assault for one, and lets not pretend this "solves feuds", that's up there with "ah sure it's their culture isn't it".

I'm not a legal expert, we can play word games and guess the crime all day long but aggravated assault for one, and lets not pretend this "solves feuds", that's up there with "ah sure it's their culture isn't it".

I don’t like Travellers and don’t like their fighting BUT there is nothing that can be done about an arranged fight on private land when both fighters agree.

Do you want the Garda to break the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't think you need to be a legal expert to see that the took they right course of action yesterday. Gardaí bashing may be a hobby for some, but it's not justified in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

That was more like a walking slowly backwards competition than a fight. If this was a display of the best of traveller manhood, tis no wonder none of them can manage an honest days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

sabat wrote: »
    If there really was a 200k purse for the winner would that not make these guys Ireland's highest paid domestic sports stars? Maybe some of the rugby internationals would get a similar amount annually...

It's about the equivalent of 400,000 to someone who's tax compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

If this was aggravated assault, and the Gardai could arrest them, then surely they should arrest every boxer at the National stadium too?

In reality there is no offence in Irish statute of aggravated assault. For the offence of assault a person is only guilty of assault if the other person does not consent to being assaulted. I’m fairly sure they both consented to being assaulted here.

Ive seen a few of these fights online. I wasn’t impressed.
    Two usually overweight lads throwing the odd ineffective punch and both referees intervening a lot. Not a lot of skill in any I saw.
    The call out videos were scarier.

Are there any good fights I could view lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I saw a comment one one of the Traveller video sharing pages hypothesising that Joe didn’t perform well because he was overtrained. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Gravelly wrote: »
    That was more like a walking slowly backwards competition than a fight.

It was a world class display of defensive boxing. One for the purists. Reminded me of Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

It was a world class display of defensive boxing. One for the purists. Reminded me of Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

:D If Mayweather gained 16 stone, wore a camel hair shirt and a blindfold, and Pacquiao went on a 12-month fast food binge and developed mad cow disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

wow, and here was me thinking Djokovic Nadal was the big event of Jan 27 .... :rolleyes:

Tennis is for Protestants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I saw a comment one one of the Traveller video sharing pages hypothesising that Joe didn’t perform well because he was overtrained. :)
    Yeah,they told him lay off the missus during training.

Ive seen a few of these fights online. I wasn’t impressed.
    Two usually overweight lads throwing the odd ineffective punch and both referees intervening a lot. Not a lot of skill in any I saw.

Are there any good fights I could view lads?

https://youtu.be/_5clCh-9t3s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Feisar

RobbieMD wrote: »
    If this was aggravated assault, and the Gardai could arrest them, then surely they should arrest every boxer at the National stadium too?

In reality there is no offence in Irish statute of aggravated assault. For the offence of assault a person is only guilty of assault if the other person does not consent to being assaulted. I’m fairly sure they both consented to being assaulted here.

There's sanctioned boxing and then there's this crap.

I thought unauthorised fighting was illegal?

First they came for the socialists...

Whoever uploaded that needs a kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Boxers they are not.

Neanderthals they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Grown men making video's calling each other out like the bunch of gowl's that they are, jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RobbieMD wrote: »

From a reading of the act the mention of consent is restricted to Section 1(b). there is no mention of consent in Section 1(a) so i dont think what you say about it not being assault is correct. Section 2(c) might give them an out if you assume that bating the head off each other is " generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life" for the people involved.

Assault.
    2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

(a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

(2) In subsection (1) (a), “force” includes—

(a) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and

(b) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.

(3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement