Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

141 520d M-Sport Touring

• 25-01-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Viewed one today and very happy with it. FSH from BMW, 1 owner, serviced every 6 months. Rear shocks were replaced by current garage. NCT to May 2020. Currently has 129,500km.

Is there anything to check or be aware of on this car from this year? Any big items of work to be carried out soon? Any particular issues I need to check/ask about?

Thanks in advance,

IZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are you buying it from BMW with the 2 year warranty or from a non franchised dealer?

The Touring has air suspension as standard and the airbags in the suspension are a fairly common failure so make sure the car is sitting right. What was done at the last service interval outside of oil and filters? That model 5 Series also likes brake pads/discs so if they need changing push the garage to change them as part of the sale. If you want to stick with main dealer service history then sign up to bmw-first.ie which will give you 20% off parts, servicing and a few other things such as replacement wipers and xenon bulbs for as little as €5 a month. This discount puts main dealer prices within the reach of BMW independent prices in my experience. Keeping the main dealer service history for a few more years can mean getting some goodwill from BMW in the event of a large repair too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are you buying it from BMW with the 2 year warranty or from a non franchised dealer?

The Touring has air suspension as standard and the airbags in the suspension are a fairly common failure so make sure the car is sitting right. What was done at the last service interval outside of oil and filters? That model 5 Series also likes brake pads/discs so if they need changing push the garage to change them as part of the sale. If you want to stick with main dealer service history then sign up to bmw-first.ie which will give you 20% off parts, servicing and a few other things such as replacement wipers and xenon bulbs for as little as €5 a month. This discount puts main dealer prices within the reach of BMW independent prices in my experience. Keeping the main dealer service history for a few more years can mean getting some goodwill from BMW in the event of a large repair too.

Bazz, thanks.

Didn’t realize until last night doing some research that it had air suspension - is there any way to check if they are in a good state or not? Any tell-tale signs?

I’m buying from a non-franchised dealer, 3 month engine and gearbox warranty. The car seems in very good condition so I’m not too worried, but have been stung before.

I read through the FSH yesterday, although briefly. Didn’t notice anything outside of the “normal” items being done - filters, oil etc. Discs were done last year I believe but I will double check today. Shocks were BMW parts, fitted by the current garage themselves. Would the airbags have been serviced/replaced as part of this? (Possibly stupid question but I have no clue about the air suspension systems). What’s the rough fix prices if the air suspension does go? I might try and get it included under warranty.

That’s again for the advice. Anything else to watch out for?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

3 month warranty does not offer much confidence, especially in a BMW unfortunately. You could have trouble free motoring but you could also end up out of pocket very quickly with these cars. It sounds like it has a good service history, is it main dealer history? Regular oil changes?

Wailin wrote: »
    3 month warranty does not offer much confidence, especially in a BMW unfortunately. You could have trouble free motoring but you could also end up out of pocket very quickly with these cars. It sounds like it has a good service history, is it main dealer history? Regular oil changes?

Main dealer, full service history, every six months roughly. Oil changes each time from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I bought a 131 5 series touring in 2015

It gave me no end of trouble practically from the hour the warranty ran out. ERG valve, turbo, 3 sets of front discs and still wasnt right, rear suspension airbag failure and also an intolerable number of squeaks and rattles from a poorly screwed together interior that had been shaken to bits by the overly hard m-sport suspension and large wheels

It was my second of the F10/F11 variant, the f10 was in fairness far better despite me buying it with 100k miles at 18 months old !
    The turbo went in that, but it was covered under warranty.

It was my 5th BMW, and I dont think its a brand issue per say.

I ended up buying another BMW but this time I will be rid before the warranty runs out in 3 yrs

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I bought a 131 5 series touring in 2015

It gave me no end of trouble practically from the hour the warranty ran out. ERG valve, turbo, 3 sets of front discs and still wasnt right, rear suspension airbag failure and also an intolerable number of squeaks and rattles from a poorly screwed together interior that had been shaken to bits by the overly hard m-sport suspension and large wheels

It was my second of the F10/F11 variant, the f10 was in fairness far better despite me buying it with 100k miles at 18 months old !
    The turbo went in that, but it was covered under warranty.

It was my 5th BMW, and I dont think its a brand issue per say.

I ended up buying another BMW but this time I will be rid before the warranty runs out in 3 yrs

I’m sincerely hoping you are the exception to the rule in this case! I’m sure most of the 5-series F10/F11 are hassle-free especially when well looked after and regularly serviced. Having done some research and seeing the rear suspension is possibly the main issue, I’m glad the garage highlighted this and have pro-actively fixed it.

Any timing chain issues in 2014? I think these issues had been mostly sorted by this stage?

I wouldn't go for one with a 3 month warranty to be honest unless you're getting a very very good deal on it. Are you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wailin wrote:
    I wouldn't go for one with a 3 month warranty to be honest unless you're getting a very very good deal on it. Are you?

Agreed. Tell dealer the warranty is too short.

I’m very happy with the deal I’m getting, yes. Will push for 6-12 months warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

3 months warranty is nothing, sure you get that on any old banger at most dealers. I would have thought 12 months would be standard on a car that age and price?

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    3 months warranty is nothing, sure you get that on any old banger at most dealers. I would have thought 12 months would be standard on a car that age and price?

Taking wifey to see it today. She is going to negotiate for a 12 month warranty.

Never thought I’d feel sorry for a used-car salesman :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

If it's the right car at the right price, what about purchasing an extended warranty from BMW?

https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/Comprehensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

I'd really be looking for a B47 spec engine if buying a 2014. Would find plenty of them with a 142 reg. Odd few 141s about but worth checking engine code. Might save yourself alot of potential chain grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Isn’t it crazy how people pay so much for a car like this and them having to worry about all the more expensive stuff that could go wrong :(

Anyone I ever ask that has had a BMW advised to stay away from them .

Beautiful looking motors but can’t be trusted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

B47 not immune to chain failure either. Just rare as they are not than old. Sold my F10 after 8 months, lovely car but engine was a disappointment and had €3000 worth of warranty work in that brief period. Didn't feel the car was good enough to warrant future running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gonad wrote: »
    Isn’t it crazy how people pay so much for a car like this and them having to worry about all the more expensive stuff that could go wrong :(

Anyone I ever ask that has had a BMW advised to stay away from them .

Beautiful looking motors but can’t be trusted .

This is pretty much standard game when you buy a premium car. Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc are all in the same boat. These cars cost north of 60k new and as such are still 60k+ cars to maintain and repair irrespective of buying them for a fraction of their original cost.

OP, back to the warranty. I'd agree with the others, 3 months is too short. I'd be expecting at least 6 months if not 12 months. Also make sure it's not one of these 3rd party warranties too from the likes of Mapfree, etc which usually come with a load of exclusions.

Pulled the trigger today - got a deal I was happy with including warranty. Picking up Monday - pictures to follow!!

B47 not immune to chain failure either. Just rare as they are not than old. Sold my F10 after 8 months, lovely car but engine was a disappointment and had €3000 worth of warranty work in that brief period. Didn't feel the car was good enough to warrant future running costs.

What issues did you have with it if you don't mind me asking? This was the 518d wasn't it?

What issues did you have with it if you don't mind me asking? This was the 518d wasn't it?

Failed head unit, leaking rear diff, corroding rear anti roll bar, corrosion to 2 doors. Poor for a 4 year old car. BMW were exceptional, all repairs under warranty. Just didn't inspire confidence for when the warranty was out.

No that's atrocious alright. Corrosion after 4 years? Jesus wept!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

It hard to believe that premium cars like these have so many problems and people are lining up to buy.

No that's atrocious alright. Corrosion after 4 years? Jesus wept!

Leading edges of all doors are prone to this on F10/F11. Seen it on as recent as 2016. It's a problem to do with the reaction between the alu skin and steel door. They will all do it eventually, and even once repaired it can reapear. BMW seem to be reparing them here. Some UK owners are having a tough getting done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger today - got a deal I was happy with including warranty. Picking up Monday - pictures to follow!!

Any update on how the car is holding up? I have a 2011 F11. Absolutely love it. So many bimmer bashers around.

matsy1 wrote: »
    Any update on how the car is holding up? I have a 2011 F11. Absolutely love it. So many bimmer bashers around.

Absolutely no issues at all - car has been perfect. 4 months in and 14000km done and still loving it. Car has been serviced and had an oil change - nothing else required.

I, in my stupidity, scratched the front bumper but that’s it :D

Far better car to drive than the Superb I had before. The power, balance, comfort and refinement are on a different level. Oddly it’s far tighter space-wise internally but feels much bigger to drive externally.

All in all, I could not fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

matsy1 wrote: »

Well I've had an e36, 2 x e46, 2 x e39, 1 x e60 and now an f10 and the only hassle I had was some electronic module on my 2nd e46 that meant I couldn't open drivers door. Everything else just regular servicing and wear and tear parts.
    E36 was my first ever car it was a 1999 bought in 2004 and I've been in BMWs ever since.
    No more hassle than other cars although I will admit the timing chain problem is a big blot on their record.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Absolutely no issues at all - car has been perfect. 4 months in and 14000km done and still loving it. Car has been serviced and had an oil change - nothing else required.

I, in my stupidity, scratched the front bumper but that’s it :D

Far better car to drive than the Superb I had before. The power, balance, comfort and refinement are on a different level. Oddly it’s far tighter space-wise internally but feels much bigger to drive externally.

All in all, I could not fault it.

The BMW experience is not a lie... Maybe issue's associated with BMWs are highlighted more than other cars..?

Advertisement