Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

For Thursday? So different to ECM.

Yep and yep, I've only seen it out to 12:00 Thursday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Had our first bit of snow at around 12:20 here in cork city! Didn't last long though and was very wet , but still white!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy shower of hail stone here near Mallow.. Nasty to be out in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick City at 1pm

Dry and partly cloudy

No precipitation

Villain wrote: »
    Yep and yep, I've only seen it out to 12:00 Thursday though.

A lot of uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

stunning photo squarecircles, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

A lot of uncertainty.

Arpege is showing a very weak front for Thursday. Nothing along the lines of what ECM is suggesting but still in the southern half of the country.

I would not like to call it. Very uncertain, differing solutions on show.

Arpege is showing a very weak front for Thursday. Nothing along the lines of what ECM is suggesting but still in the southern half of the country.

I would not like to call it. Very uncertain, differing solutions on show.

I am sure one of the times ECM gets it wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Everyone in work is going round saying we are gonna have March 2018 round two. I'm getting slated for laughing and rolling my eyes.

Dublin Based btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Kamili wrote: »
    Everyone in work is going round saying we are gonna have March 2018 round two. I'm getting slated for laughing and rolling my eyes.

Dublin Based btw!

That's not till the end of February tell them....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Kamili wrote: »

Dublin Based btw!

And when the event doesn't happen they'll all be complaining about how Met Eireann got it completely wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I’m currently on the train from Sligo to Dublin. Out the window there’s no lying snow below 300m. Some pockets of hail or graupel here and there. This several hours into a showery northwest flow

It really puts in to perspective what a toothless beast a north west sourced air-flow is in Ireland. Scattered wet cold.

Now, thinking back to Feb 2018, and the near relentless onslaught of powder snow streamers off the Irish Sea. There is no comparison. I cannot see Orange warnings coming of this set-up

Thursday is slightly different but I would err on the side of caution rather than the ‘boom, Ireland buried’ crap on NW forum. Exceptionally borderline

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Snowing in Inniscarra again.

I’m currently on the train from Sligo to Dublin. Out the window there’s no lying snow below 300m. Some pockets of hail or graupel here and there. This several hours into a showery northwest flow

It really puts in to perspective what a toothless beast a north west sourced air-flow is in Ireland. Scattered wet cold.

Now, thinking back to Feb 2018, and the near relentless onslaught of powder snow streamers off the Irish Sea. There is no comparison. I cannot see Orange warnings coming of this set-up

Thursday is slightly different but I would err on the side of caution rather than the ‘boom, Ireland buried’ crap on NW forum. Exceptionally borderline

Probably won’t be until later today/tonight for any low lying snow. But yes it’s always measy from the north west.

Snow just starting again in cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

snowing gently,west mayo,seaside,sea level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

How likely is this turn to turn into a red alert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Indeed and given we are at the optimum time for cold being in late Jan just shows how pathetically poor polar martime cold is.
    At the end of the day though trying to get proper cold into this country without northern blocking you may aswell be p***ing against the wind. Though there can be exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’d say we are gonna get a good dumping in athenry in the next hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

turdball wrote: »

This, today? Sunny, wet snow for some, rain and sleet for most? Cant see it turning into any kind of alert beyond yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Lots of snow in Hollyhill (Cork City)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    I’d say we are gonna get a good dumping in athenry in the next hour
    Just started

Heavy enough snow shower too actually here, wet though I think but indoors so can't tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ive never seen a westerly or north westerly do anything for low ground in the East, no matter where sourced.

Atlantic systems in general don't bring snow east unless they come to the South of Ireland and are blocked, driving easterlies from the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

hail and thunder forecast for atlantic coasts on 1pm forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Clouds fluffing into south Clare now....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Ive never seen a westerly or north westerly do anything for low ground in the East, no matter where sourced.

Atlantic systems in general don't bring snow east unless they come to the South of Ireland and are blocked, driving easterlies from the continent.

Correct. West is a damp squib.

Maybe the East wind on Thursday may also deliver some streamers for Dublin/Wicklow regions.... It is possible for snow showers away from the coast..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

turdball wrote: »

Not a chance, its a small bit of snow nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

I tend to agree, Thursday is a bit different though. As the Low pressure system passes through, winds will swing to the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Snow just starting again in cork city

It's just the wet stuff. It's only snow when it sticks.

Advertisement