Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Wet stuff in Cratloe....Co Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WhestCork2018

Snowing again at Cork Airport :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Sorry to be a pain but can someone share the link that shows snow showers when the type is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

turdball wrote: »
    How likely is this turn to turn into a red alert?

Extremely unlikely I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sorry to be a pain but can someone share the link that shows snow showers when the type is turned on.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

And when the event doesn't happen they'll all be complaining about how Met Eireann got it completely wrong :rolleyes:

Oh i even pointed out to them where it said DRY in the forecast on Met.ie!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just watched uK met office forecast for Thursday and doesn’t seem too wintry/snowy for here. A lot of rain and sleet i’m afraid with the odd bit of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

east cork heavy sleet now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just watched uK met office forecast for Thursday and doesn’t seem too wintry/snowy for here. A lot of rain and sleet i’m afraid with the odd bit of snow

Met office it's self or BBC weather

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

sleet / snow has made it to Ardmore Co Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I thought Thursday was our best chance. U just ruined that for 600 people on here lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I tend to agree, Thursday is a bit different though. As the Low pressure system passes through, winds will swing to the East.

Something of an imponderable those east winds though as they will bring a maritime layer inland mixing out the conditions for snow
    They are not true east sourced,there is no immediate cold to feed on,they are just an east direction part of a circulation around an Atlantic low
    They will be circulating the existing marginal air but mixing it with that marine layer which at sea level and near the coast could swing the balance
    That's going to be a nowcast

ZX7R wrote: »
    Met office it's self or BBC weather

Yep met office itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Kamili wrote: »
    Everyone in work is going round saying we are gonna have March 2018 round two. I'm getting slated for laughing and rolling my eyes.

Dublin Based btw!

And now I have just been told to take my laptop home and go work from there for the next few days as there is a massive snow storm due.

Seriously??? is there or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Will there be high accumulations of snow in South Dublin Wednesday night into Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

And now I have just been told to take my laptop home and go work from there for the next few days as there is a massive snow storm due.

If you prefer working at home say nothing. If you don't I would approach your boss and point them towards Met Eir website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Don't argue for feck sake....just go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

an interesting watch,goes through the various models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

torres9kop wrote: »
    Will there be high accumulations of snow in South Dublin Wednesday night into Thursday?

No

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

turdball wrote: »
    How likely is this turn to turn into a red alert?

not a chance of this being red. It's just wintry showers and much of the country is dry and sunny. It would need to be a very severe, widespread and life threatening situation for a red alert to be issued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I thought Thursday was our best chance. U just ruined that for 600 people on here lol

Thursdays weather is still a bit unknown. But the most likely situation is a mixture of rain, sleet or snow for Thursday, looks extremely marginal.

Last nights precipitation was modeled as snow in some of the charts including the GFS and it just rained with the exception of high ground.

This mornings GFS is mostly showing rain for Thursday. This chart should get updated very soon. Expect more changes to marginal percentage and position of front before Thursday.

54-574UK.GIF?29-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

sjb25 wrote: »
    No

What about above 400 meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Great pics from the Sally Gap on Facebook
    (Sorry it won’t let me copy the link so just a screenshot)

Gonzo wrote: »
    Thursdays weather is still a bit unknown. But the most likely situation is a mixture of rain, sleet or snow for Thursday, looks extremely marginal.

Last nights precipitation was modeled as snow in some of the charts including the GFS and it just rained with the exception of high ground.

This mornings GFS is mostly showing rain for Thursday. This chart should get updated very soon. Expect more changes to marginal percentage and position of front before Thursday.

The Met Office have it much further south as well as the ECM this morning. Models will be interesting later!

The Met Office have it much further south as well as the ECM this morning. Models will be interesting later!

Even if it's further south, i think it will still be a wintry mix in general. The Atlantic rarely ever brings proper snow to this country, particularly with frontal precipitation, dew points are usually too high and too much modification from a large fetch of sea and ocean to our south, west and north.

Time will tell, but I'm really expecting very little disruption on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When forecasters say there will be snow on high ground what is 'high'? Would 300m over sea level be considered 'high'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I think people are asking about a red alert for Thursday rather than today.
    A regular poster seems to think it will happen and they are on their own with that thinking.

At the worst it may reach orange in a few favoured county's.
    But I don't see it happening.

People please exnore any weather warnings you see on FB
    Unless they are based on met eireanns warnings or weather advisories

Gonzo wrote: »
    Even if it's further south, i think it will still be a wintry mix in general. The Atlantic rarely ever brings proper snow to this country, particularly with frontal precipitation, dew points are usually too high and too much modification from a large fetch of sea and ocean to our south, west and north.

Time will tell, but I'm really expecting very little disruption on Thursday.

I agree though Met Eireann are taking it seriously. Perhaps the experts can state why this may be different!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Snow falling Kilmainham .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Trying it’s damndest to snow here, don’t thing it’ll amount to much though
    Galway/Tipp border

Advertisement