Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

A white reek

Nice pictures.
    Know a family who have gone skiing this week somewhere in France. Might be some action in the Mayo and Connemara mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Whiteout here near Mallow. Must be a blizzard where you are!

Roads are bad, very bad!

fuxuuh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Here we go, that blob has reached us in bishopstown and looks to be sticking to the cars, even wet ones, already. Time to lampost watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

leahyl wrote: »
    God dammit would that big blob on the radar over north cork ever move further south :-P

Should be landing in the Cork Metropolitan area around now.....expecting lots of posts from Cork in the next half hour....and hopefully lots of pics.

• Advertisement

Woo it's starting to stick on the roads and footparhs! Getting heavy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Practically nothing in South Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

No schnow neither...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Are showers expected to increase as the night goes on? Currently in East Limerick car reading 0.5c

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    Are showers expected to increase as the night goes on? Currently in East Limerick car reading 0.5c

Hard to tell, but it looks as though right now there should be aband approaching limerick as we speak

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Showers are only really effecting the western third of the country, Very little is making it past the Shannon.

You will have a better chance of seeing snow on Thursday.

9ZQeRpd.jpg

Best shot of it falling I could get

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Sleet and lightning ballydesmond /Knocknagree North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Sleet and lightning ballydesmond /Knocknagree North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Any updates on Thursday since guys?

Gonzo wrote: »
    Showers are only really effecting the western third of the country, Very little is making it past the Shannon.

I’m right at the foothills of the Slieve Blooms so I’m hoping that will look resplendent at some stage during the week.

Gonzo, do you think us in the east will see showers on Thursday or even tonight , met seem to speak of Leinster for Thursday but they could be speaking about midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Had a good hours worth here NW Kilkenny. Since then the skies have cleared and the temps are dropping.

A night for the fire :cool:

davidsr20 wrote: »

Not really it’s a evolving situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

noobsnow95 wrote: »

Pretty good illustration in this BBC tweet of a pounding of snow showers in off the Atlantic to affect western and southwestern counties, so yes

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1090305985376342016?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Snowing fairly heavy in East Clare on the shores of Lough Derg grass and slates gone white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Only way a North West type fetch works for Offaly, and the Midlands in general, is on a mobile flow, this one is pretty static unfortunately. Thursday, maybe a glancing blow only but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Based upon the latest forecast models and my own calculations it appears as though parts of the Midlands, Inland Munster, Leinster and East Connacht could experience some substantial falls of snow, with the possibility of travel disruption in the affected areas.

Firstly we must deal with the risk of some accumulations of snow overnight tonight across the western half of the country, as heavy showers will continue to feed in off the Atlantic, falling predominantly as snow overnight. Lowest temperatures tonight of -3 degrees Celsius.

Following a dry day for most on tomorrow a deepening area of low pressure is set to move southeastwards across the country through the early hours of Thursday morning, with its associated fronts becoming stationary across much of the country, and persisting throughout the remainder of Thursday and into he early hours of Friday.

This low pressure system is expected to bring a mixture of rain and sleet to coastal areas, but its likely to deliver some really substantial falls of snow to inland areas, especially over higher ground. Snowfall accumulations generally could vary between 5-10 cm, though some areas could see snowfalls in excess of 15-20 cm.

Weather warnings are likely to be issued closer to Thursday with orange weather warnings likely, possibly increasing to red weather warnings by Thursday morning depending upon the track of the system and how low temperatures remain on Thursday morning.

Much of the details surrounding this forecast remain uncertain due to the very technical nature of such events. I will do my very best to keep you posted over the coming 36 hours.

Credit: midlands weather channel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So this is what the Metrogroup via the BBC are forecasting for Thursday - still keeping the front turning to snow just after hitting landfall... this is going to get interesting!

axcjds.png

2jcsj7d.png

116np81.png

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Based upon the latest forecast models and my own calculations it appears as though parts of the Midlands, Inland Munster, Leinster and East Connacht could experience some substantial falls of snow, with the possibility of travel disruption in the affected areas.

Firstly we must deal with the risk of some accumulations of snow overnight tonight across the western half of the country, as heavy showers will continue to feed in off the Atlantic, falling predominantly as snow overnight. Lowest temperatures tonight of -3 degrees Celsius.

Following a dry day for most on tomorrow a deepening area of low pressure is set to move southeastwards across the country through the early hours of Thursday morning, with its associated fronts becoming stationary across much of the country, and persisting throughout the remainder of Thursday and into he early hours of Friday.

This low pressure system is expected to bring a mixture of rain and sleet to coastal areas, but its likely to deliver some really substantial falls of snow to inland areas, especially over higher ground. Snowfall accumulations generally could vary between 5-10 cm, though some areas could see snowfalls in excess of 15-20 cm.

Weather warnings are likely to be issued closer to Thursday with orange weather warnings likely, possibly increasing to red weather warnings by Thursday morning depending upon the track of the system and how low temperatures remain on Thursday morning.

Much of the details surrounding this forecast remain uncertain due to the very technical nature of such events. I will do my very best to keep you posted over the coming 36 hours.

Thats the forecast on Midlands Weather Channel on Facebook.

Thats the forecast on Midlands Weather Channel on Facebook.

Yes I no, I was passing it on for people who haven’t seen

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Yes I no, I was passing it on for people who haven’t seen

What about those of us who don't want to see??

barney 20v wrote: »
    What about those of us who don't want to see??

Well this is a weather forum, and the post is based on the upcoming spell of weather , so if your not interested this isn’t the thread for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick City still cold and dry.

Advertisement