Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just went outside to take out the rubbish and there are some snowflakes on the garden table and bin lids. I couldn't even call it a dusting, but at least it's something. Very frosty too.

Snowing away nicely in Cork City, its really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

just had another snow shower in Cork City. the roads and paths just wont cover, no matter how heavy. Too wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Snowing away nicely in Cork City, its really lovely.

Any pictures? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

We have thunder and lightning and light graupel in south Donegal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I think we are depending on a renegade shower to break through to Dublin at some stage if we are to get something overnight.

At the moment there is a long land track with the wind just north of westerly in direction which is not favorable for us.

Fun and games west of the Shannon through the night though.

What’s your thoughts for Thursday for Dublin are we missing out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Gonzo wrote: »
    just went outside to take out the rubbish and there are some snowflakes on the garden table and bin lids. I couldn't even call it a dusting, but at least it's something. Very frosty too.
    Where are you located Gonzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

shmaupel wrote: »

Sh*t it’s right above us in Rossnowlagh

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

shmaupel wrote: »

That's the.place to be looking at the rador...prolonged showers on the way to yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I was reading the forecast with interest until you pointed out who had given it. Sorry but I don't listen to anything he says, very sensationalist at the best of times.

Showers have taken a break here with snow hanging around on grass, cars and houses.

Plus he is selling/taking donations for private forcasts.
    Posts personal weather warnings normally higher than met eireann gives.
    Playing with trouble if you ask me.
    An Irish version of Mark Vogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

@munsterlegend you also said it wouldn't snow lol. Plenty more showers through the night for southwest

When did I say it wouldn't snow? I was talking about Thursday night event which I believe won't be good except for higher levels down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

barney 20v wrote: »
    I'll stick to getting forecasts from the professionals if it's all the same to you ?

Guys with Facebook weather pages just don't cut the mustard with me you see...

Don't take notice of it then, not very hard!

I don't use Facebook so thanks for sharing it snowiee.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

I have to collect someone from Dublin Airport at 6:30am Thursday. What do ye reckon it's going to be like? (Coming from Limerick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

mr_cochise wrote: »
    I have to collect someone from Dublin Airport at 6:30am Thursday. What do ye reckon it's going to be like? (Coming from Limerick)

I’d say the only thing to delay you will be the Naas Bypass roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

Snow has been falling on and off here since 5.45pm, decided to walk down the village for a pint in the snow, was fabulous. Now having said pint and looking out the window at the snow falling. Happy days! Location, Knock, Co Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’d say the only thing to delay you will be the Naas Bypass roadworks

I agree. I dont think Thursday will produce much unless for the high ground of course. There is a lot of snow already in the Dublin Wicklow mountains.

I agree with Gonzo.....rain and sleet with a mix of wet snow at best for most parts....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well Cork snowfans I promised you snow last night and it has indeed worked out. Met Eireann gave little hope for the South last night.
    If my red alert comes off for Thursday it'll be some forecast!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Where are you located Gonzo?

Dunshaughlin in County Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    What’s your thoughts for Thursday for Dublin are we missing out ?

With the onshore wind that would probably put us on the wrong side of marginal on the coast but a lot depends on the strength of that breeze as well.

A few miles inland could be a very different story. In these situations it can be night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Well Cork snowfans I promised you snow last night and it has indeed worked out. Met Eireann gave little hope for the South last night.

Where did you predict red alert for? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

@munsterlegend you also said it wouldn't snow lol. Plenty more showers through the night for southwest

This is what the forum has descended to. Childish point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You still think a red alert is possible tonight?! Might go orange in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Big heavy flakes in cork city state the moment, first time time I've seen visible whiteness on the road now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Nice bit of snow outside cork city ....roads were bad earlier on ...took an hour and a half to get home ....glanmire hills were blocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Big heavy flakes in cork city state the moment, first time time I've seen visible whiteness on the road now

Galway Bay is to Cork tonight is what the Irish Sea is to Dublin in an easterly tonight.

You still think a red alert is possible tonight?! Might go orange in some places.

no chance of a red alert, it would need to be more widespread and life threatening. Thursday may be an orange warning if Met Eireann thinks that snow would be widespread and heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Danno wrote: »
    Galway Bay is to Cork tonight is what the Irish Sea is to Dublin in an easterly tonight.

Except it’s dripping snow compared to the easterly white gold :P

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    no chance of a red alert, it would need to be more widespread and life threatening. Thursday may be an orange warning if Met Eireann thinks that snow would be widespread and heavy.

At last some common sense prevailing........

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The gfs p is showing about a foot of snow for Southern Ireland on Thursday. I'm very confident that the south Midlands will see a red warning but Met Eireann will delay as long as possible to try get it right. If we do get a red warning it would be truly extraordinary considering it's an Atlantic system with little proper cold preceding it.

Advertisement