Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like Cavan, Monaghan and possibly Louth might see some snow showers tonight from that big train of snow showers over Donegal and Fermanagh.

Dublin, Meath and Kildare not really on track for anything, very long land track from north Mayo.

Why when there's snow I'm always considered in Meath. Worked out well last year but can't see many of them showers heading for Virginia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ZX7R wrote: »
    Even Kermit isn't calling a red

He called Thursday "death and destruction" I think that warrants a red ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

For the Dublin peeps, we need showers to come onshore around Sligo and be beefy! Then we might get a light dusting. At least it would stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Danno wrote: »
    Remember folks, the ground is still relatively warm following the prolonged mild spell. Soil temperatures are around 4c to 7c, mildest in the southwest. This will take time to get out of the ground, which is why snow is not settling easily, or melting underneath.

How do you think South of Laois will fare tonight and into thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

For the Dublin peeps, we need showers to come onshore around Sligo and be beefy! Then we might get a light dusting. At least it would stick.

Looks that way, showers are just disintegrating on the way to the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He called Thursday "death and destruction" I think that warrants a red ;)

LIAR! I said chaos, death and destruction :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Really coming down thick here now. Temp 0.3c. Snow temp -3.7c. Calm.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

dont fear,siobhan will work her magic.:D:D:D

I find Siobhan magic...even if she's forecasting a Bartlett High:)

looks like Cavan, Monaghan and possibly Louth might see some snow showers tonight from that big train of snow showers over Donegal and Fermanagh.

Dublin, Meath and Kildare not really on track for anything, very long land track from north Mayo.

Time to get the prayer mat out and pray to Allah (or whatever the snow god is called). :P

LIAR! I said chaos, death and destruction :P

And i said what time is the death and destruction, my precious kids birthday is on, we are having an outdoor event and i need to know like..... but you never answered. lol
    :mad:
    Time to get the prayer mat out and pray to Allah (or whatever the snow god is called).

He's called Frosty

S02E04-U6Gdq4ee-subtitled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

arpage not showing much at all really.

9915AB78-9132-41D2-8353-E557A831EBC7.png.040ed54f1f74a2febd985c638fb54e57.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

My ultimate weather fantasy would be the Mexican Weather girl forecasting a 96 hour blizzard. I'd die happy:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Time to get the prayer mat out and pray to Allah (or whatever the snow god is called).

I hope the 5 snow flakes that landed on my bin lid isn't my lot for Winter 2018/2019!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Snowing here

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I hope the 5 snow flakes that landed on my bin lid isn't my lot for Winter 2018/2019!

5 flakes is better than what I got throughout Winter 2016-17 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno wrote: »
    Remember folks, the ground is still relatively warm following the prolonged mild spell. Soil temperatures are around 4c to 7c, mildest in the southwest. This will take time to get out of the ground, which is why snow is not settling easily, or melting underneath.

Just to add weight to the above point - these graphs from www.kilkennyweather.com

Last 30 days below:

soil2.png

Last 24hrs below:

soil.png

You can see how much of January has been running around 8c or 9c during the mild weather in the 30-day chart. Yesterday with the onset of this cold weather the temperatures were at 6c. After today's cold, they have dropped to around 4.5c.

These mild soil temperatures are pretty representative for much of the inland south. The further southwest you are, the milder by a degree or two these temperatures will get.

Now, how cold it gets over the next 36hrs will help drag these soil temperatures down further. Heading into the dark tomorrow night, a 2.5c or 3.0c reading would be good to see. If we get a widespread -5c air tomorrow night (Wednesday into Thursday) we could see these 10cm soil temperatures drop closer to 0c by 9am Thursday. With the snow (if it materialises) coming in around that time, anything that falls will stick easily and be subject to little if any melting underfoot. We just need the air temps to play ball then.

Meanwhile in France...

lastsnowradar.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Time to get the prayer mat out and pray to Allah

No thanks.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snowing here

Checks the radar over Roscrea, you're in bloody Oranmore tonight, aren't you! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Meanwhile in France...

EMail today from our colleagues in Paris. They expect the whole operation (logistics) to be shut down entirely until Thursday.

Not just us that calls red warnings when it's warranted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very Frosty night in Kildare despite the keen breeze still going. -1c

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

sdanseo wrote: »
    EMail today from our colleagues in Paris. They expect the whole operation (logistics) to be shut down entirely until Thursday.

Not just us that calls red warnings when it's warranted!

Was in Paris for several months a few years ago and it really feels raw in cold weather, much more of a continental climate than here, even though it’s would be considered fairly typical of northwest Europe. On the way out to the airport one day the frost on the ground was so sharp it looked like a thick covering of snow. And that was during a fairly mild winter.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    1024px-Libya-4985-Tadrart-Acacus-Luca-Galuzzi-2007.jpg

:pac: No Wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

-0.3C here clear and mostly calm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Siobhan showing a trough off NW coast on current chart....that's what need!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Are any stations reporting appreciable snow depths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Marengo wrote: »
    Where are you living? Roads in all built up areas will be clear by Friday and Saturday. High ground and local routes might still be tricky. Especially with hard frost.

Will you have a few Dank Janniels?:)

Co galway heading to the city. Yep gona sample a veritable smogasbord of alcomohol beverages!! Well thats the plan anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »

0 flakes this winter for me so far. If we include March, then I can't remember the last snowless winter here. 2017-2018 had snow from December to March, 2016-2017 in February, 2015-2016 in March, 2014-2015 a number of times. 2013-2014 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Surely Knock has some snow depth

-0.3c here in Sligo ....beside the sea

And all precipitation sticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Haa deleting posts again are we

Advertisement