Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Sister just came in from driving and said the roads are deadly. They look just wet but they have that layer of clear frosty snow I mentioned thats white on the cars. Could be very dangerous in the morning.

As long as the roads keep that frosty snow look, it's fairly easy to drive on, as long as you keep it slow. Much more traction that on ice. Having said that, if the temperature stays very low and there's a medium level of traffic on the road, it can cause enough freeze/thaw action to turn it into ice that requires a lot more caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

HIRLAM also seems to remove the southern part of the country from the snow.. :(

anim_qgl8.gif

Definitely waiting for the next runs, these are still chopping and changes. More precip then ICON shows though.

Pass it on to the dubs you had your fair share today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Just drove the M8, it was fairly hairy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

HIRLAM struggling but just barely succeeding in turning Thursday's mess into snow. Also reduces intensity. Colder on the back edge and it will be turning night time which might be a help.

With the best will in the world, the likelihood now has to be a cold rain even for most people. Roads will be absolutely lethal after this. Near the most dangerous possible setup for ice.

anim_aik6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fair bit of activity gathered in the northwest.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    That’s a decentish area of precip in the NW heading for the Greater Dublin Area.

I’m quite confused as to where the precip is you are looking at, it doesn’t seem to be moving really

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Fair bit of activity gathered in the northwest.

Is south east england getting bombarded by snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Heavy snow shower imminent for Cork next 15mins

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Heavy sustained snow from around 7pm here in Lisnaskea Co Fermanagh. Around 3 inches lying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy snow shower near Mallow at the moment. Looks a big one on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Monkeynut wrote: »

No, but Northern France is seeing heavy snow at the minute...Rain and sleet in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Heavy snow shower near Mallow at the moment. Looks a big one on the radar.

Was very heavy here about 20 mins ago. Kanturk roads will be lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    I’m quite confused as to where the precip is you are looking at, it doesn’t seem to be moving really

Its there Snowbiee, dont worry, first real large organised band all day that not only is Dublin in its firing line, but it seems highly likely to not break up before reaching Dublin, ETA aprox 90 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Its there Snowbiee, dont worry, first real large organised band all day that not only is Dublin in its firing line, but it seems highly likely to not break up before reaching Dublin, ETA aprox 90 mins!

It’s pretty weak. It will break up I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    No, but Northern France is seeing heavy snow at the minute...Rain and sleet in London.

I was looking at the chart Kermit posted, i thought the pink/red indicated snow.

Or does it indicate snow, but the temps around London are too high?

Ahhh here!!!
    Early to bed for me so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ahhh here!!!
    Early to bed for me so

Apologies actually, just checked the Netweather radar and it does seem still organized. The met Eireann radar on mobile site is crap.

Most defiantly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Snowing here in North Cork!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Apologies actually, just checked the Netweather radar and it does seem still organized. The met Eireann radar on mobile site is crap.

Could be a weak trough.

• Advertisement

I was bowing to your better judgment
    But deep down - i was questioning you, i think it makes Dublin and does not break up
    How heavy however - thats the unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Ventusky - lunchtime Thursday!

471609.png

Snowing here in North Cork!

Whiteout where I am anyway near Mallow. Very heavy snow shower. Looks the last for a while but a good one to end the evening on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I was looking at the chart Kermit posted, i thought the pink/red indicated snow.

Or does it indicate snow, but the temps around London are too high?

https://cam.airlive.net/lhr/

Heathrow looks like its just rain/sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

sleet at Gatwick
    EGKK 292150Z 32009KT 2700 -SNRA BKN004 BKN008 01/01 Q0993

I was bowing to your better judgment
    But deep down - i was questioning you, i think it makes Dublin and does not break up
    How heavy however - thats the unknown

Not a hope in hell will it hold , just seams to weak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Whiteout where I am anyway near Mallow. Very heavy snow shower. Looks the last for a while but a good one to end the evening on!!

I’m millstreet direction and it’s the same.
    Guessing it will be gone tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Danno wrote: »
    https://cam.airlive.net/lhr/

Heathrow looks like its just rain/sleet

Yep,light rain, 2 degrees. Not far off Sleet/snow though

EGLL 292150Z AUTO 30006KT 4900 -RA SCT006 BKN013 BKN023 02/01 Q0994 BECMG 7000

I’m millstreet direction and it’s the same.
    Guessing it will be gone tomorrow?

Yeah should thaw early in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Greater Dublin Area (GDA) is generally defined as the counties of Dublin, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow so quite a large geographical area. It's not just Dublin. Saying the northern part of the GDA could get some snow would be a bit more accurate.

In other news, Cork metropolitan is looking like getting a nice top up very very soon. Looks like there could be a 2/3cm in many parts from it, quite easily.

Advertisement