Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Roads are white here west conamara and all along the R339

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Danno wrote: »
    https://cam.airlive.net/lhr/

Heathrow looks like its just rain/sleet

It looks as if a fly is filming that through his eyes. lol

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cars have been frosting over the last few hours in the Curragh, doubt anything will be gritted for the drive to work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Increasing likelihood that activity to the northwest might make it to Dublin in some form...caution though that even organised bands can fall apart very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The showers will be heaviest for a couple more hours, then upper levels (500 hPa) start to warm towards morning. North is best tonight. Latest snow depths in the northern stations

Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m): 8 cm
    Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m): 7 cm
    Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m): 1 cm

No snow coverage at Knock up to the final manned report at 7 pm. Warnings of <1 cm overnight at Knock and Cork.

EIKN AD WRNG 03 VALID 292359/301000 SNOW FBL < 1CM FCST =

EICK AD WRNG 03 VALID 292200/300900 SNOW FBL < 1CM FCST =

Regarding Thursday, for me it's still a marginal situation where altitude will be key again. With a lot of high cloud coverage throughout Wednesday night I can't see the airmass cooling deep enough over land to flip it the right side of marginal when the rain arrives Thursday. Strong winds will also prevent the air cooling down. Hills and mountains again the best spots, scuttery at lowest levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Snowing heavily here on the Fermanagh Monaghan border. White out at the minute. Surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

xabi wrote: »
    Just drove the M8, it was fairly hairy

Happy you are safely back to base. Bloody Baltic here in South Kildare.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

netweather showing the red snow blob over us in cork atm but nothing yet! The excitement :p

Edit: just as I post this the first flakes start and already fairly heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Increasing likelihood that activity to the northwest might make it to Dublin in some form...caution though that even organised bands can fall apart very quickly.

I swear to myself every NWerly I will not fall into the same trap of radar watching that ends in disappointment 99% of the time. Yet here I am again, feck it anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldn't trust tonights runs for Thursday till sometime tomorrow evening to get a more accurate picture.

I'm not really shocked at the runs showing a very marginal mix for Thursday, Ireland historically never does well from Atlantic fronts in cold weather with the exception of the rarest of rare exceptions. We have too much sea all around us and we are the first port of call from the relatively mild Atlantic. It nearly always results in too much modification.

Atlantic fronts usually only deliver proper snow in Ireland if there has been cold air pooling around from an easterly and the front stalls over Ireland or an easterly undercuts it. 1982 being a great example.

latest GFS also shows a very watery mix on Thursday.

42-574UK.GIF?29-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust tonights runs for Thursday till sometime tomorrow evening to get a more accurate picture.

I'm not really shocked at the runs showing a very marginal mix for Thursday, Ireland historically never does well from Atlantic fronts in cold weather with the exception of the rarest of rare exceptions. We have too much sea all around us and we are the first port of call from the relatively mild Atlantic. It nearly always results in too much modification.

Atlantic fronts usually only deliver proper snow in Ireland if there has been cold air pooling around from an easterly and the front stalls over Ireland or an easterly undercuts it. 1982 being a great example.

latest GFS also shows a very watery mix on Thursday.

42-574UK.GIF?29-18

You may be receiving some flakes within the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The showers will be heaviest for a couple more hours, then upper levels (500 hPa) start to warm towards morning. North is best tonight. Latest snow depths in the northern stations

Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m): 8 cm
    Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m): 7 cm
    Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m): 1 cm

No snow coverage at Knock up to the final manned report at 7 pm. Warnings of <1 cm overnight at Knock and Cork.

EIKN AD WRNG 03 VALID 292359/301000 SNOW FBL < 1CM FCST =

EICK AD WRNG 03 VALID 292200/300900 SNOW FBL < 1CM FCST =

Regarding Thursday, for me it's still a marginal situation where altitude will be key again. With a lot of high cloud coverage throughout Wednesday night I can't see the airmass cooling deep enough over land to flip it the right side of marginal when the rain arrives Thursday. Strong winds will also prevent the air cooling down. Hills and mountains again the best spots, scuttery at lowest levels

"Scuttery" :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Surely conditions over Northern France are just as marginal vs. what we are looking for Thursday and they have frontal snow?

People finding it too easy to write off Thursday as cold rain on here.

Weakening of the front however helps no one and that sadly seems to be the message today. HILRAM still has the scenario where the initial front weakens but it starts to regain some intensity later on Thursday evening as the front stalls. Flicking through 850s/DPs etc the airmass gets friendlier into Thursday evening and night so if precip can stick around till then, better chances of some snow.

Hopefully tomorrow we get a clearer picture of what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

HIRLAM doing a wonderful job for rush hour in Dublin on Thursday, something that inconvenient has to come true! ;)

hirlamuk-1-46-0.png?29-23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Snowing again on the northside of cork city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

IR loop can be good indication of when the showers begin to turn. The band heading in the direction of GDA still has nice cold tops

https://en.sat24.com/en

And the snow that feel earlier that wasn't gone but where it was driven on was gone is now covered again. Was it meant to be this substantial in cork ? It's not a blizzard or white out conditions but it is very steady and covering a lot.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And the snow that feel earlier that wasn't gone but where it was driven on was gone is now covered again. Was it meant to be this substantial in cork ? It's not a blizzard or white out conditions but it is very steady and covering a lot.

It's very small flakes in cork city , not a whiteout like earlier showers were. Heavy constant flow though and the road is turning white as is the footpaths. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Outside my house northside of cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Wouldn't be getting too excited about the stuff in the NW crossing the country, its already fairly light here so if it makes it across it'll be no more than drizzly sh**e.

Around 2cm here now though mostly snow grains and tiny flakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Snowing for ages in Cavan. Roads are white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Heavy snow in north county Dublin, in like snow heaven.

Oh wait sorry, I must have dozed off, I may have been sleep-typing again.
    One can dream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's very small fluakes in cork city , not a whiteout like earlier showers were.

Pretty big flakes where I am!

It's very small flakes in cork city , not a whiteout like earlier showers were.

Where did I say it wasn't ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I need a few days off from work, we need a white out in Dublin

leahyl wrote: »

Yeah just increasing in size in bishopstown now! Road finally gone white and the footpaths too. Can clearly see the salted road outside the estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Latest BBC Wales weather graphics has snow through a lot of the Irish sea thursday in easterly's and also consequently on the east coast
    Its another plausible outcome considering temps across Wales will have -6 or -7 c thursday morning, and much of central and north wales is snow covered,so that is crucial air in the circulation mitigating the marine layer warming effect if you follow
    Photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BBC has plenty snow down South for Thursday afternoon/evening!! Tomorrow will be interesting as to what Met Eireann think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

leahyl wrote: »

Same here not too far from city centre.
    Absolutely pelting down with large flakes and the road surface is complete covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

John.Icy wrote: »
    Surely conditions over Northern France are just as marginal vs. what we are looking for Thursday and they have frontal snow?

People finding it too easy to write off Thursday as cold rain on here.

Weakening of the front however helps no one and that sadly seems to be the message today. HILRAM still has the scenario where the initial front weakens but it starts to regain some intensity later on Thursday evening as the front stalls. Flicking through 850s/DPs etc the airmass gets friendlier into Thursday evening and night so if precip can stick around till then, better chances of some snow.

Hopefully tomorrow we get a clearer picture of what will happen.

Yeah, I agree with you here. Form horse is for a slushy mess at sea level, but it won't take much to upgrade. I think people were bridling at the talk of red weather warnings. The models never consistently showed a widespread heavy snow event to that extent.

Advertisement