Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

inthehat wrote: »
    If I'm reading the charts right I'd say we have a good chance of some snow in Co Kilkenny tomorrow afternoon??

Really good for the high ground in the county. I have driven from the city to home and as heads higher you would see the transition from rain or sleet into snow.

This shows how height matters...
    In Kilkenny city today the max temperature was 5.7C http://www.kilkennyweather.com/
    On the higher ground in Kilkenny at 220 metres asl the max temperature was 3.5C http://www.kilkennymet.com/weatherconsole.php
    So around 2C difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

Looks like Blessington could do well out of this (if it happens) 223m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like Blessington could do well out of this (if it happens) 223m asl

Yes. The East Kildare/West Wicklow Hills could do very well indeed as always. The rest of Kildare will likely be in a rain/snow shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

So nothing happening in north, north west, N. Donegal area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Light snow here now in Mullaghroe, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

RobertKK wrote: »
    Really good for the high ground in the county. I have driven from the city to home and as heads higher you would see the transition from rain or sleet into snow.

This shows how height matters...
    In Kilkenny city today the max temperature was 5.7C http://www.kilkennyweather.com/
    On the higher ground in Kilkenny at 220 metres asl the max temperature was 3.5C http://www.kilkennymet.com/weatherconsole.php
    So around 2C difference.
    Absolutely we will see snow up here. It’s a different climate, much colder and temps drop quickly as you climb, now off to get out the Children’s sleds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Rodar08 wrote: »
    So nothing happening in north, north west, N. Donegal area?

You've had your fair share already! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well that was an interesting forecast! Nothing about precip beyond tomorrow afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Light snow here now in Mullaghroe, Cork.

How light? There's nothing showing on various radars. Some anaprop (fake returns) on netweather and the band of precipitation is not due for a good few hours yet.

Just curious if it's just the odd flake here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

jean byrne suggesting midlands,north midlands and connaught most at risk of seeing snowfall,to low levels also.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Do large lakes (Derg, Corrib, Ree) act as snow shields as showers are passing over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Do large lakes (Derg, Corrib, Ree) act as snow shields as showers are passing over them?

Not sure but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen radar footage of showers generating off Lough Neagh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

highdef wrote: »
    How light? There's nothing showing on various radars. Some anaprop (fake returns) on netweather and the band of precipitation is not due for a good few hours yet.

Just curious if it's just the odd flake here and there.

Just light snow really not sure what way to describe it :pac: it's more than a few flakes anyways.

dpef4k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Not sure but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen radar footage of showers generating off Lough Neagh

id say lough Neagh is large enough to produce lake effect snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No sign of JS tonight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No sign of JS tonight?

No signal in his igloo after last nights epic snow 🙃🙃🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Northerly extent of precipitation on 18z GFS

27-779UK.GIF?30-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm playing in the snow lol.
    Seriously for Cork region of think I did very well on my forecast
    As for tomorrow I think we all recognise the difficulty in predicting what will happen. I genuinely don't know but I do think the centre swath of the country will face disruption in some shape or form. My red warning seems a bit silly now. The charts have backed off this scenario quite a bit. My punt is for Met Eireann to issue flash/sudden orange warning for midland counties during the late morning. In other words they'll react to what's falling...no criticism here as it's an impossible task getting this right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Jojo37 wrote: »
    It’s bitterly cold in North Cork tonight. Was -1 at 6pm. Have the heating on full belt since 630 and it’s still freezing in the house.!

I'd rather be in North Cork than the mid-west of America right now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations

Some cold out there already. -5 in Mullingar and -3 in Phoenix Park at 9pm ME readings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No sign of JS tonight?

Lol

Hes in Glasnevin pleading with them to put up a status red snow alert even for just 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

wassie wrote: »

I'd rather be in the mid-west of America than North Cork right now! eek.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Harsh....but fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

-1.5 in cork city suburb ATM. Crazy to think this is going to rise during the night!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

-1.4c here in Waterford City with a grass temp of -5.6c

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2209 Met Eireann Update

Thursday will be bitterly cold and windy with heavy outbreaks of rain turning to sleet and snow in parts. The band of rain will spread northeastwards through the day, turning heavy or persistent at times, especially across southern counties with driving rain for a time along the coastline here. The rain will also turn to sleet or snow for a time over parts of Connacht, Leinster and inland Munster. Whilst snow accumulations will mainly occur on higher ground, some lower levels will experience moderate accumulations. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 7 degrees Celsius (north to south), but feeling even colder with an added wind chill factor owing to a fresh to strong and gusty east to southeast wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

-1.4c here in Waterford City with a grass temp of -5.6c

www.waterfordweather.com

-2,4c up here in Arklow,interestingly in a slight northeasterly breeze off the sea

wassie wrote: »

My buddy sent me this today - he is working in Wisconsin for a couple of weeks:

IMG-20190130-WA0003.jpg

(Celsius, by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

D wrote: »
    My buddy sent me this today - he is working in Wisconsin for a couple of weeks:

IMG-20190130-WA0003.jpg

(Celsius, by the way)

Feels like -46.....buuuuur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-4.6c at nine now with dew point of -5.5c.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1090738083836895232?s=21

Advertisement