Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the 11pm reports from Met Eireann obs stations Cork Airport, Roches Point, Sherkin and Valentia all in positive temps so that slightly milder air is
    arriving. The deep cold in other area's may aid snow chances tomorrow but all so so marginal. We will see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belfast Aldergrove airport -3 @ 1120pm with a dew point of -4. nice.

11pm Met reports

Mullingar -4
    Moore park -3
    Mount Dillon -3
    Oak Park -3
    Phoenix Park -3

(Met eireann forecast on Rte Radio 1 @ 1155pm for the latest)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking at the 11pm reports from Met Eireann obs stations Cork Airport, Roches Point, Sherkin and Valentia all in positive temps so that slightly milder air is
    arriving. The deep cold in other area's may aid snow chances tomorrow but all so so marginal. We will see

But then you have Waterford Airport at temp -4, dp -5!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Im in Rochestown in Cork and it is rock solid frozen out there. Thermometer I have that usually matches Cork airport is still reading -3. Bit of a snowfield effect going on generally I think as most of Cork, other than roads, is still covered in a thin layer of snow / frozen slush.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

But then you have Waterford Airport at temp -4, dp -5!

Surprising that reading considering how close it is to the coast and comparing with other stations in Waterford which are averaging around -2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm beginning to think this could get interestingðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I'm in South East Meath and my weather app is @ -3° right now.
    DP of -4° but no precipitation due until 10am

I'm beginning to think this could get interestingðŸ˜႒

It was always interesting but tomorrow model watching will mean nothing and now casting will reveal all. Still all outcomes on the table for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now -4.7c on the AWS, skies clear with stars shining brightly.

Awaiting the 11.55pm Met Eireann broadcast.

South Laois 89m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Surprising that reading considering how close it is to the coast and comparing with other stations in Waterford which are averaging around -2

Rural location Mick, always reads lower than you on clear nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

-6c lows - Siobhan Ryan. (revised from -5c)

Moderate accumulations low areas possible.

Also, possible warning upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Possible upgrade on warnings in the morning. Met eireann on Radio 1 just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Im in Rochestown in Cork and it is rock solid frozen out there. Thermometer I have that usually matches Cork airport is still reading -3. Bit of a snowfield effect going on generally I think as most of Cork, other than roads, is still covered in a thin layer of snow / frozen slush.

My parents live in rochestown & over the past 30yrs when it freezes it freezes bad especially up the hills. I remember getting iced in for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

HUGE NEWS

Finally broke through -2.3c

-2.4c now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It was always interesting but tomorrow model watching will mean nothing and now casting will reveal all. Still all outcomes on the table for many.

2sgi10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The south east flow is going to kill low ground chances for most. After it pivots and the flow goes northeast there will be snow as it clears. By then I'll be sick when I think of all the rain that fell before hand. Could have been an epic slider if the front hadn't gone as far north.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

2sgi10.jpg

I'm never going to sleep now :) bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Wind is northeasterly so off the land.

-2.7c now here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

People were talking about the role of lakes in generating snowfall. With a cold, dry flow across lakes of that size, some minor lake effect streamers can be generated. Lough Neagh is roughly the size of Lake Simcoe north of Toronto. I have seen situations where Lake Simcoe generates its own squalls from north winds that have not crossed Georgian Bay and these can drop 10 cms over small areas. Lough Derg and the lakes in Connacht are probably a bit too small to generate more than a few flurries.

However, this is a different situation where moist air in a synoptic scale precip shield is crossing these lakes. The factor in play then becomes more of temperature modification on western shorelines, if any, and it would seem in any marginal situation this could be a negative factor locally for snow generation but it is probably a rather minor consideration overall. (assuming these lakes are about 5-7 C they would slightly warm the boundary layer briefly).

Said I would add some details, but reading through the contributions in past few pages, I think the general ideas presented are sound and I don't need to add much. May have a better feel for the outcome by 0530h at forecast time, all depends on the fine tuning. Too bad this low didn't run into last March's cold air, then this would be a big event for sure. But I think it will be a significant event for some in Connacht and Munster, Leinster more of a question mark away from the usual higher ground jackpots. Somebody made a valid point about rainshadow effects downwind from Leinster high ground.

People were talking about the role of lakes in generating snowfall. With a cold, dry flow across lakes of that size, some minor lake effect streamers can be generated. Lough Neagh is roughly the size of Lake Simcoe north of Toronto. I have seen situations where Lake Simcoe generates its own squalls from north winds that have not crossed Georgian Bay and these can drop 10 cms over small areas. Lough Derg and the lakes in Connacht are probably a bit too small to generate more than a few flurries.

However, this is a different situation where moist air in a synoptic scale precip shield is crossing these lakes. The factor in play then becomes more of temperature modification on western shorelines, if any, and it would seem in any marginal situation this could be a negative factor locally for snow generation but it is probably a rather minor consideration overall. (assuming these lakes are about 5-7 C they would slightly warm the boundary layer briefly).

Said I would add some details, but reading through the contributions in past few pages, I think the general ideas presented are sound and I don't need to add much. May have a better feel for the outcome by 0530h at forecast time, all depends on the fine tuning. Too bad this low didn't run into last March's cold air, then this would be a big event for sure. But I think it will be a significant event for some in Connacht and Munster, Leinster more of a question mark away from the usual higher ground jackpots. Somebody made a valid point about rainshadow effects downwind from Leinster high ground.

That was me :) always looking out for it setups like this be it rain or snow

I think this is the longest TAF I've ever seen. For Cork. Unfortunately no mention of snow at all. Similar with all the other airports. Only rain and sleet mentioned up to midnight tomorrow.

TAF EICK 302300Z 3100/3124 11007KT 9999 FEW015
    PROB30 TEMPO 3100/3103 0500 FZFG
    BKN002 BECMG 3103/3105 13012KT
    BECMG 3105/3108 15016G27KT -RA SCT008 BKN015
    TEMPO 3105/3113 4000 RA BKN008 SCT018CB
    PROB30 TEMPO 3105/3108 2000 RASN BKN004
    BECMG 3108/3110 15020G35KT
    PROB30 TEMPO 3108/3110 15025G40KT 2000 +RA BKN004
    BECMG 3110/3113 18015G28KT FEW010 SCT020
    BECMG 3113/3115 11012KT PROB30
    TEMPO 3113/3120 -RA BKN010
    BECMG 3115/3117 05008KT
    BECMG 3118/3120 08020G30KT
    TEMPO 3120/3124 5000 -RA BKN008 FEW018CB
    PROB40 TEMPO 3120/3124 2000 RASN BKN004=

Just hit -3c now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just hit -3c now

Hurry up there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think this is the longest TAF I've ever seen. For Cork. Unfortunately no mention of snow at all. Similar with all the other airports. Only rain and sleet mentioned up to midnight tomorrow

Are those TAF forecasts then not completely at odds with what Siobhan Ryan said at 11 55 radio forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

-4 here in Meath right now.Hard to believe were going to be lashed out of it with rain tomorrow after a night as cold as this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Getting a tad nippy in Wicklow.

00:20 N81 Baltinglass [Road]-4.9°C [Air]-6.6°C 0 km/h NNW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Once again, GFS Parallel almost flawless with its temperature prediction. Significantly better than HIRLAM.
    Top image what it shows for around now, compare with reports in last few posts.
    2nd image what it says for tomorrow 7pm :)
    3rd dewpoints tomorrow 7pm

For an air temp of 1° we want a DP of -1° minimum to be safe.

6-778PUK.GIF?30-18

24-778PUK.GIF?30-18

24-101PUK.GIF?30-18

• Advertisement

Are those TAF forecasts then not completely at odds with what Siobhan Ryan said at 11 55 radio forecast?

They're only valid for within a 5-mile radius of the airport, so not necessarily fully indicative of the larger region.

Advertisement