Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Heavy rain in Cork City, blustery and 5ºC

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Rain here in Firhouse Dublin 24. 1c
    No snow.
    Waiting for the back edge........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭prunudo

esposito wrote: »
    Met Éireann seem confident of snow tonight for Dublin and Leinster. “Snow accumulations possible on lower levels” Bring it on baby

Seems similar to what the garphics on BBC weather was showing at 7.15am

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beginning to stick on cars, roofs and frozen footpaths in Galway. Didn't particularly expect that!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Light snow in central Mayo at 06:45 as I left for work, settling on cars and surfaces, travelled to north Mayo then and snow was alot lighter and then none, bodes well for later on. Seems to be the edge of the front going by Met rain radar. 1c-1.5c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Dry and cold here on the Laois/kildare border ...currently 2c with a low of near -4 over night.
    No visible frost but the roads are still pretty bad in spots. Rain isn’t to far away. If snow does fall the ground conditions are perfect (dry and cold )

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Starting to get heavier, just north of Galway city.
    Snow that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

frost thawing,starting to spit rain a little ,east Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beginning to turn sleety in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

EdgeCase wrote:
    Heavy rain in Cork City, blustery and 5ºC

No ice at all left in cork city so? Rain has surely melted anything left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Black ice in Dublin 5 and cloudy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Paths and roads in Dublin 10 are lethal. Took me 3 times longer to get to the bus stop so missed 2 buses!

Saw 2 people fall over on driveways due to the slope. -2 here and biting wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

-8c in Katesbridge Co Down last night.

The -6c at Dublin Airport
    The -4c at Casement are interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Snowing lightly the past half hour here...sticking too.....2km outside Lisdoonvarna @ Slieve Elva...475ft asl...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Whatever just fell in D12, like freezing rain. Roads and footpaths are treacherous...
    Can second that paths are lethal nearly fell a couple of times getting a bus in Kimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dry so far in Dublin 15 but the overcut by the front has driven the temp up by 7 degrees in 3 hours, now just some dew on the windscreens that were frozen hard a short time ago. There'll be no snow for the Capital from at all today this below 150/200m im thinking, similar to Tuesday morning's snowline on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Absolutely treacherous even in inner city Dublin, got out of the car at Rathmines and immediately slipped on black ice on the footpaths.

Closer to home in Dublin 14, I woke up to a Graupel/snow shower mix and it stuck, you could hear the crunching sound as you walked. Hoping for some backedge snow later. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Can you divert via kenmare etc? I lived out that way and in frost etc would go the long way round easily ? Either from Sneem or cutting across at Blackwater

No, the Kenmare - Templenoe stretch is closed to traffic until March for pavement improvements or something, I would never normally go to molls gap to get near sneer but will have to this time.

Thanks for thinking about it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Lashing rain here near Mallow. The front will retreat later so may see something wintry from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Cold rain here in Limerick city suburbs, wind rising somewhat in last hour, no sign of sleety mix we had yesterday. Currently 4c by the car,( so admittedly unscientific,) but no wintry precipitation at all from this front as of yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Something more like hail than snow falling here near Rathdrum. To commute or not now is the question.

That sounds like graupel

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

You can take a left before you get to Molls Gap on the road up from Kenmare which will bring you onto the high road to Sneem without going near the gap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen this; we are fortunate here...,

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2019/0131/1026620-us-weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing at home near Roundwood. Light dusting on the roads from around Ballinastoe down the Long Hill, from around 250m asl I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Bucketing rain here in South Offaly at the foothills of the Slieve Blooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met E still talking about possible upgrade to warnings and snow at "lower elevations" weather forecast at 0758 on RTE 1 radio just now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

seefin wrote: »
    No ice at all left in cork city so? Rain has surely melted anything left?

Very little, was still some snow in my garden funnily enough when I left. On 96fm Fb page last night they were all freaking out about it being icy in the morning and schools would be closed and I was like “it’s gonna rain so I think it’ll be ok”. Someone comes back “but then it’ll be freeze, it’ll be lethal” “There’ll be black ice everywhere” - I said “it’s meant to cloud over with heavy rain” - this is what it said on the met forecast, they were dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

monkeynuz wrote: »
    No, the Kenmare - Templenoe stretch is closed to traffic until March for pavement improvements or something, I would never normally go to molls gap to get near sneer but will have to this time.

Thanks for thinking about it though :)

Oh bad luck!

You can get through from Kenmare to the avoca shop at the Gap then on to the straight road left to Sneem .

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I wonder where the "snow at lower elevations" is possible, probably the midlands?

• Advertisement

Is there any hope at all of turning Red today or tomorrow morning? Dublin / Meath area.

Advertisement