Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Could be seeing something later in Dublin or Wicklow from the NE snowstreamers if the wind is in the right direction (around 1am ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That south east wind really killing any chance of snow for now in most of leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Will be interesting to see when the front begins to pivot. Certainly more chance of snow across a wide area than I thought this time yesterday. We just need a bit of intensity further east and the wet bulbs will begin to drop later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow on the ground in Claremorris with moderate snow. Jammy feckers in that part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yup. Which makes the fact that many schools in Cork are closed til 11am today particularly bizarre. This decision was made late yesterday afternoon. By then it was obvious (and this isn't hindsight, I posted this immediately yesterday) that this morning would be fine for travel in Cork but Friday morning could be lethal.

Also it’s not expected to freeze until later in the night/early morning down in the south so could be very dangerous for people going to work/school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

23tp3ir.jpg
    Westport 7:30 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Where can I get the readings for Custume Barracks in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Snow/sleet turned to rain in Galway city. Have to head to Gort shortly, any reports?

Will be interesting to see when the front begins to pivot. Certainly more chance of snow across a wide area than I thought this time yesterday. We just need a bit of intensity further east and the wet bulbs will begin to drop later too.

Met Eireann due to update their warning. Will be interesting their thoughts on later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Torrential rain here in Douglas Cork, strong winds too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Remind me folks, where do I get dew point reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

9 am

Light sleet in Custume Barracks, Athlone.

METAR EIAC 310900Z AUTO 10010KT 9999 -SHRASN FEW014/// OVC022/// 01/00 Q0984=

Athenry now reporting light rain.

PsMETAR ANRY 310900Z AUTO 09013KT 8000NDV -RA OVC009/// 01/00 0981 MSL=

Belmullet light snow.

PsMETAR BELM 310900Z AUTO 08014KT 4100NDV -SN BKN006/// BKN028/// 01/M00 0981 MSL=

All automatic stations so yes, some slight source of error in marginal conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Come on folks we need photos :D

If I could use my smart phone better I’d upload the grey skies and rain photos I’ve taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

In my lovely Wicklow mountain shadow

Yup. Which makes the fact that many schools in Cork are closed til 11am today particularly bizarre. This decision was made late yesterday afternoon. By then it was obvious (and this isn't hindsight, I posted this immediately yesterday) that this morning would be fine for travel in Cork but Friday morning could be lethal.

Also it’s not expected to freeze until later in the night/early morning down in the south so could be very dangerous for people going to work/school.

I can see a lot of people being caught down here in the morning, people are already giving out that the schools made the wrong call, so will be less likely to take notice of any weather conditions in the morning.

I wonder who advised the schools though? I thought the would have to get their info from somewhere official?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Freezing raining falling in Dublin 12 about 10 minutes ago. Paths are lethal.

I can see a lot of people being caught down here in the morning, people are already giving out that the schools made the wrong call, so will be less likely to take notice of any weather conditions in the morning.

I wonder who advised the schools though? I thought the would have to get their info from somewhere official?

I think each school makes their own decision locally. I’d say one school made a call and then a domino effect they all copied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Suprised to catch a brief graupel showere here in D3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Evelyn live on Telly there now.

Cold, Windy, Mixed showers. Laughed at the idea of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absolutely lashing in cork city. The back of my house has a flat extension and I can still see some snow on it mixed with the rain but very little. Can only imagine if this was to be snow. Oh well, I got an extra two hours in bed before school.

Is this meant to freeze over tonight down here or is that only further up the country? If it does then it will be leathal tomorrow

• Advertisement

Evelyn live on Telly there now.

Cold, Windy, Mixed showers. Laughed at the idea of snow.

The west are laughing too! Does she read her website forecasts?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Met Éireann website says there won’t even be rain (let alone snow) over the next 24 hours in Bettystown. I usually look at this website

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/snow-risk

On it , it suggests massive change of snow/rain over the next 30 hours all around us. So how can Met Éireann say there will be none? Is it simply that they are using different variables to calculate probability?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

xmkd5g.jpg
    Snowing nicely now. Hopefully everyone gets some sneachta! Westport 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pad199207 wrote: »
    Snow on the ground in Claremorris with moderate snow. Jammy feckers in that part of the country.

Not out here.... wet icy rain, and nasty winds .....NOT FAIR !

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Heavy sleet / rain starting before 6.00 this morning. Now rain in a bitterly cold wind

North Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Drumpot wrote: »
    Met Éireann website says there won’t even be rain (let alone snow) over the next 24 hours in Bettystown. I usually look at this website

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/snow-risk

On it , it suggests massive change of snow/rain over the next 30 hours all around us. So how can Met Éireann say there will be none? Is it simply that they are using different variables to calculate probability?

Drizzle / wet hail in Drogheda now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rain and soft hail/sleet in Santry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Definitely sleeting in Galway city, quite a composition to those drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Nothing Meath ........yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

I think each school makes their own decision locally. I’d say one school made a call and then a domino effect they all copied.

They also have to factor in staff availability. Conditions may be fine at the school but if other schools have closed (and teachers at another school have kids attending there), you'll get a domino affect.

There's still a risk of wintry showers in the afternoon so they may also have wanted to avoid having kids stuck at school with parents attempting to get there. Waiting until 11am makes sense in that regard (last year, during emma our school communicated a 11am start but then stayed closed and didn't open at all).

I have heard mention that some schools wanted to avoid the chaos of communicating a 11am start and then changing it back to a normal start time.

Advertisement