Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rain here this morning and close to 3c. Snow above around 220m and setting in patches on nearby hills. Overnight low -5.0c with grass minimum of -8.7c. Soil temps just 1.9c at 100mm. Rainfall 1.1mm. South Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Just a couple of drops, sitting in the same shadow as pad !

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

No snow overnight, but now have sideways horizontal snow with brutal easterly wind - adding another1cm to yesterdays (6 or 7cm) fallen snow in the last hour. 1.0 C . Lowland Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

Drumpot wrote: »
    Met Éireann website says there won’t even be rain (let alone snow) over the next 24 hours in Bettystown. I usually look at this website

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/snow-risk

On it , it suggests massive change of snow/rain over the next 30 hours all around us. So how can Met Éireann say there will be none? Is it simply that they are using different variables to calculate probability?

That website is a bit all over the place, I put in my town and it say snow from 12 to 9pm then I change it to my location (same place) and it says 0 chance of snow?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see snowline to Dublin Mountains from here in Dublin 16. Probably approx. 100m higher than my location.

Graupel falling now here. 2.2c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Still snowing ere n west roscommon. Some very heavy bursts at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Very heavy rain here in Waterford City and temp of 5C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

blizzard like,heavy snow and gale force gusts,west mayo coast.

That website is a bit all over the place, I put in my town and it say snow from 12 to 9pm then I change it to my location (same place) and it says 0 chance of snow?[/quote]

The same is happening for me, checked it three times in the past hr and got very different results each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Proper snow here in east Galway. Only sticking in sheltered areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Even in Mayo it seems to be localised, nothing in Ballina (North Mayo at present).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Light rain here in Tipp, 100m asl, falling on frozen solid ground in places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

West always had the chance to do well in this initial surge of the front across the country. Colder airmass in situ and many of the charts showered a nice wintry mix there.

It was some of the human interpretation that suggested otherwise.

@Pad you are in a comically small and circular shadow atm on radar.

Pesky dry slot nearby here in D9 looking at the ME radar which explains the almost lack of precip. Fleeting bursts of drizzle. Hopefully when the wind swings around we can get more constant precip. The risk of snow here is already low enough without factoring in that NOTHING is falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Heavy snow for the last hour in Claremorris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Anyone know what NI is like? Around Belfast / Antrim specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Kutebride wrote: »
    Nothing Meath ........yet?

Dont think we will see anything to be honest, except some rain

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

John.Icy wrote: »
    West always had the chance to do well in this initial surge of the front across the country. Colder airmass in situ and many of the charts showered a nice wintry mix there.

It was some of the human interpretation that suggested otherwise.

In fairness the angle of attack was beneficial too, but often times milder air can get in quicker than expected in these scenarios, it reminds me of an event in January 2010, where Pat Clark(radio forecaster) was heard to say you can never turn your back on snow after met eireann predicted rain for most of the regions in the west, only for it to snow across many regions of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Snowing in Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Persistent sleet and snow in Castlebar for the last hour, quite gusty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Stopped raining or sleeting in Rathmines in the last hour, although this is 25m elevation, back home I'm at 50m so they're probably seeing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bleak day in Galway city, barely any daylight. Walked 3k to work in driving wind and rain/sleet, cant feel my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bleak day in Galway city, barely any daylight. Walked 3k to work in driving wind and rain/sleet, cant feel my hands!

At least you’re typing ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Has it just stopped raining for anyone else in Dublin? It says it's raining but it doesn't look like it is?.. stopped within the last hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Back to snow in Galway city.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has been raining heavily all morning in Cork city, 4C.

Any chance of it turning to snow later?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

all rain stopped in limerick city since about 9.30, cold wind looks s /sse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Still snowing away here near Ballintober Abby - local secondary school has just closed too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Anyone know what NI is like? Around Belfast / Antrim specifically
    We had snow showers this morning but it's dry for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

It's raining buckets here, Waterford east of the city. Car temp was reading 5.5° and has now dropped to 4°. Even if this changed to snow later the ground is saturated. Can't see it sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has been raining heavily all morning in Cork city, 4C.

Any chance of it turning to snow later?

Yes, hopefully later on in the day into the night as winds switch to to the north east the places currently getting rain in the south will see snow

Advertisement