Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Is the front a lot further north than expected ?

471799.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hopefully! Forecast apps don't really have me hoping for snow down here, only showing the lowest temp as 1 degree but who ever trusts these apps!

Kind of surprised to still see (admitially tiny amount) but snow in the middle of my front garden still in cork city after the really heavy rain we just had. Puddles on my extension roof are also, still frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Flipped back to light snow at Athenry now and Belmullet has flipped the other way.

PsMETAR ANRY 311000Z AUTO 09014KT 9000NDV -SN OVC006/// 01/00 0980 MSL=
    PsMETAR BELM 311000Z AUTO 10015G27KT 9999NDV -RA BKN009/// 02/01 0980 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is the front a lot further north than expected ?

471799.pdf

Not according to the GFS. This had it further north than any other model a few days ago- some models had it only a southern Ireland affair, it now looks to have been right.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Finally stopped raining in cork city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Yes, hopefully later on in the day into the night as winds switch to to the north east the places currently getting rain in the south will see snow

With all rain we getting at moment, if that snow we be snowed in for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Any idea when an updated forecast from Met.ie is due, especially any update to the warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rain (not too heavy) and gusty in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

TTLF wrote: »
    Has it just stopped raining for anyone else in Dublin? It says it's raining but it doesn't look like it is?.. stopped within the last hour or so.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the Wicklow mountains and the direction the front is travelling. Nothing here at all despite the radar.

This happened in the first overnight period of Storm Emma which was a similar enough scenario. Stopped snowing here in D9 at around 2am and didn't get going again till into the morning despite precip being on the radar the whole time. Those few hours were the difference between the foot of level snow we got here and the ridiculous scenes in N.Kildare, parts of S.Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lovely bright morning up in North Donegal.

Appears to have been nothing overnight except a deep freeze. Most roads are in very good condition around my local vicinity. Fair play to the local council.

Schools all back open again.

Can see another good thaw happening today as well. Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    It's raining buckets here, Waterford east of the city. Car temp was reading 5.5° and has now dropped to 4°. Even if this changed to snow later the ground is saturated. Can't see it sticking.

There will be a few hours of dryness in the south this afternoon before the front retreats so if (big if) that retreating front turns to snow then the ground will have had a bit of a chance to dry off

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Light to moderate snow here last hour Craughwell Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's something to do with the Wicklow mountains and the direction the front is travelling. Nothing here at all despite the radar.

This happened in the first overnight period of Storm Emma which was a similar enough scenario. Stopped snowing here in D9 at around 2am and didn't get going again till into the morning despite precip being on the radar the whole time. Those few hours were the difference between the foot of level snow we got here and the ridiculous scenes in N.Kildare, parts of S.Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford etc.

Yeah, I remember in Emma the wid direction only made me get Graupel instead of snow, but come Friday afternoon it was bucketing down fat flakes. Hopefully it picks up again later since I would love it to snow when the front retreats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

heavy snow coming down again,west mayo coast.

I might actually head up towards enniskerry tomorrow or the day after if there's still any snow. Anyone in Enniskerry getting snow? Since it is pretty high up. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible dirty mucky morning here as expected. Mostly light drizzly rain with some short heavier bursts. Most of the country it's either cold rain or sleet.

I'm not expecting any snow from this for most of us, until maybe later tonight when it's clearing the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Calina wrote: »
    Any idea when an updated forecast from Met.ie is due, especially any update to the warning?

They usually update it around 10 am but nothing yet. Maybe they feel no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

I might actually head up towards enniskerry tomorrow or the day after if there's still any snow. Anyone in Enniskerry getting snow? Since it is pretty high up. :)

Snow line 230ASL. If you are driving a vehicle in summer tyres please stay away.

cowana wrote: »
    Snow line 230ASL. If you are driving a vehicle in summer tyres please stay away.

I don't think I can drive at 16 haha. Is it really bad up there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at the netweather radar and snow seems confined to high ground and some north-western areas. The rain and the milder sector has drifted further north than expected.

• Advertisement

There will be a few hours of dryness in the south this afternoon before the front retreats so if (big if) that retreating front turns to snow then the ground will have had a bit of a chance to dry off

The ground being being wet is not really the issue, the heaviness of the precipitation, and more importantly the air temperature being low enough are.
    It can snow all day on wet ground and not stick because the temperature is just a tad too high. In December 16th 2010 it bucked rain all day, i remember thinking sure if it snows now it will never stick, within 10 minutes of the transition it started sticking because the temperature plummeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

10 flakes of snow fell in D17 :cool::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    It's raining buckets here, Waterford east of the city. Car temp was reading 5.5° and has now dropped to 4°. Even if this changed to snow later the ground is saturated. Can't see it sticking.

If it's cold enough it sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The ground being being wet is not really the issue, the heaviness of the precipitation, and more importantly the air temperature being low enough are.
    It can snow all day on wet ground and not stick because the temperature is just a tad too high. In December 16th 2010 it bucked rain all day, i remember thinking sure if it snows now it will never stick, within 10 minutes of the transition it started sticking because the temperature plummeted.

Agreed but was just replying to the comment that the ground would be saturated.

Gonzo wrote: »
    looking at the netweather radar and snow seems confined to high ground and some north-western areas. The rain and the milder sector has drifted further north than expected.

just out of curiousity what would you define as high ground- i mean how many meters above sea level. I am 50 metres above sea level, is that classed as high ground in these scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

I don't think I can drive at 16 haha. Is it really bad up there?

Ha, no snow in the village, EEnniskerry village is only 70 meters ASL. Only above 230m. Glencree etc. Glencullen Co Dublin plenty of snow

Gonzo wrote: »

Do you think this could change come evening when the front retreats? (For snow at lower levels)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

UPDATED

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland

Updated Thursday morning:
    Continuing very cold until Sunday with severe frosts at night and ice on untreated surfaces.
    Some snow accumulations today on high ground over Leinster, Connacht and south Ulster. Tonight there will also be some accumulations of snow on lower levels over central and southern parts of Leinster and over east Munster.

Valid: Wednesday 30 January 2019 11:00 to Sunday 03 February 2019 12:00

Issued: Tuesday 29 January 2019 10:06

Updated: Thursday 31 January 2019 10:00
    9105-C765-536-E-48-AD-B7-F6-3-AA995-F3-E56-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

East Munster looks good for Waterford and eastern parts of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Sheleety rain, North Cork.

Advertisement