Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ooh hopefully we get some surprises in cork city tonight them. Last year was "eastern cork/Munster" as well and we still managed to get some white gold. Rebelbrowser/igcorcaigh will ye be lampost watching with me? :P

Certainly keeping an eye out later. Last year though was a different set up with streamers coming at us from the East North East on the perfect trajectory to hog the coastline and dump their load on the PROC. This time, if temps/dew points/etc are right, we still need precipitation exiting the country on a NW to SE trajectory to just stay a bit further west on exiting our Island than models currently show. Very possible but every mile east you go will help (eg. Youghal has a better chance than Midleton which has a better chance than Cork city, etc).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ooh hopefully we get some surprises in cork city tonight them. Last year was "eastern cork/Munster" as well and we still managed to get some white gold. Rebelbrowser/igcorcaigh will ye be lampost watching with me? :P

Sure will. Just hoping the temps drop so that anything that falls will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Has there been any updates on today or tonight? Iv been hearing experts on here saying things would be more clear in this mornings models had there been any upgrade or downgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Light freezing rain in Blackrock, Co. Dublin with a breeze that'd cut you in half. Got brain freeze just walking into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sunrise at Sligo yesterday.

VCc4KhZ.jpg

Credit: Sinead Crowley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Temp drop from 4c to 3c in Dublin & the wind changing direction...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Certainly keeping an eye out later. Last year though was a different set up with streamers coming at us from the East North East on the perfect trajectory to hog the coastline and dump their load on the PROC. This time, if temps/dew points/etc are right, we still need precipitation exiting the country on a NW to SE trajectory to just stay a bit further west on exiting our Island than models currently show. Very possible but every mile east you go will help (eg. Youghal has a better chance than Midleton which has a better chance than Cork city, etc).

From what I'm reading overall is it now assumed that the snow line is drifting further east? Think I might be out of luck out my side looking at the ME warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

You can add me to the Cork city lamp-post watching club :)

I have a temperature monitor in the back yard, which shows a peak of around 6.8C at 11.45am today, but it has now started to fall back and has dropped to 6.4... hopefully it will continue to drop rather than start to climb again. The temperature reading is probably about 1 degree higher than it should be as the sensor is very close to the house and is gaining some heat from the shelter (WiFi signal weakens if placed further away).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drizzle has almost stopped here. Was in Navan earlier and no drizzle there, just damp conditions. I think I'm just too far north for any meaningful precipitation.

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    From what I'm reading overall is it now assumed that the snow line is drifting further east? Think I might be out of luck out my side looking at the ME warning.

yes but its virtually impossible for ME or anyone to say with certainty that a front won't be 50 miles further east or west in 8 hours time.

My best guess though is that the precipitation will die out but before it does there will be snow east of an angled line from Waterford city to Galway city to Bray (if that makes any sense!). It is though, to use a hackneyed cliche, a "nowcast" situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Netweather is showing snow falling over Dunshaughlin and most of Meath, but in reality there is nothing falling at all, precipitation is so light, it would have to be seen under a lamppost.

and now as I typed above it's just started to graupal lightly, maybe a few tiny flakes in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just started to snizzle a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    drizzle has almost stopped here. Was in Navan earlier and no drizzle there, just damp conditions. I think I'm just too far north for any meaningful precipitation.

Im about 15km north from Navan and nothing here all morning, breezy, cloudy and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow and ice pellets near Dublin airport now. Heaviest bursts so far.

Just started to snizzle a bit.

I think many of us are lacking any meaningful precipitation. The real heavy stuff is way down south and off to the west. If you look at netweather's radar, the precipitation over Ireland is far more fragmented in light compared to what's heading into the south-west UK unfortunately.

I think much of this precipitation will fragment even further and die out.

I reckon the Wicklow mountains is doing alot of damage to the precipitation levels here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I said it yesterday but the BBC forecast yesterday morning was spot on for us anyway, the rain pushing north would break up to leave it cloudy cold and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Let's not forget met aren't forecasting anything heavy or wintry at lower levels until tonight so I wouldn't be worried about what it's doing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Raining in North Kk all morning think it's time to get off the rollercoaster
    Unless things change in the next few hours

Let's not forget met aren't forecasting anything heavy or wintry at lower levels until tonight so I wouldn't be worried about what it's doing now

by tonight much of the front would have pushed away or fragmented. I'd say south-eastern counties have the best chance of seeing lying snow tonight as the front should last there till after midnight.

There may still be snow shower potential in eastern coastal areas after the front clears, particularly south of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Brief snow shower, dub Airport

• Advertisement

Promising enough updated forecast on met.ie. I like the munster one from a nimby perspective too!

National

Today

Cold and blustery this afternoon with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow. The snow will be mainly on high ground this afternoon, but in Connacht and Ulster some snow will also occur at lower levels. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 6 degrees with an added wind chill factor in a fresh to strong and gusty east to southeast wind.

Tonight

Very cold this evening and overnight with further wintry falls, mainly in the south and east, with some snow accumulations on lower levels as well. Frost and ice will form as well, resulting in slippery surfaces. Lowest temperatures between 0 and -6 degrees, coldest over Ulster.

Tomorrow

Friday will be a brighter day with spells of sunshine, but feeling raw in a northerly breeze. A few wintry showers may occur in coastal areas but otherwise it will stay dry. Highest temperatures of only 3 to 5 degrees.

Regional Forecast - Munster

31 January 2019 13:00

Today

Cold and blustery today with outbreaks of rain and sleet and snow mostly on high ground. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 6 degrees with an added wind chill factor in a fresh to strong and gusty east to southeast wind.

Tonight

Very cold this evening and overnight with further wintry falls, mainly in the south and east, where there will be some snow accumulations on lower levels. Frost and icy conditions too. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -3 degrees .

Tomorrow

Friday will be a drier brighter day with spells of sunshine, but feeling raw in a northerly breeze. Some well scattered wintry flurries around. Highest temperatures of only 1 to 5 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Promising enough updated forecast on met.ie. I like the munster one from a nimby perspective too!

National

Today

Cold and blustery this afternoon with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow. The snow will be mainly on high ground this afternoon, but in Connacht and Ulster some snow will also occur at lower levels. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 6 degrees with an added wind chill factor in a fresh to strong and gusty east to southeast wind.

Tonight

Very cold this evening and overnight with further wintry falls, mainly in the south and east, with some snow accumulations on lower levels as well. Frost and ice will form as well, resulting in slippery surfaces. Lowest temperatures between 0 and -6 degrees, coldest over Ulster.

Tomorrow

Friday will be a brighter day with spells of sunshine, but feeling raw in a northerly breeze. A few wintry showers may occur in coastal areas but otherwise it will stay dry. Highest temperatures of only 3 to 5 degrees.

Regional Forecast - Munster

31 January 2019 13:00

Today

Cold and blustery today with outbreaks of rain and sleet and snow mostly on high ground. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 6 degrees with an added wind chill factor in a fresh to strong and gusty east to southeast wind.

Tonight

Very cold this evening and overnight with further wintry falls, mainly in the south and east, where there will be some snow accumulations on lower levels. Frost and icy conditions too. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -3 degrees .

Tomorrow

Friday will be a drier brighter day with spells of sunshine, but feeling raw in a northerly breeze. Some well scattered wintry flurries around. Highest temperatures of only 1 to 5 degrees.

Waterford/tipp/ east Cork in the firing line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Where the latest ECM has the greater chance of snow falling this evening (chart for 8pm)

48mlXsG.png

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

still raining and strong icy gusts out here.. last time I looked there were still no mountains either...west mayo offshore wilderness

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Its a slushy watery mess in Claremorris now. 🥶

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Icy rain has a few flakes of snow in it now. Clondalkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Started off snowy - but the precipitation has turned to sleet the last while and the green is popping back out in the fields - It's bitterly cold in a sharp breeze and the garden is still covered and a bit of a skating rink is emerging as it slushes up.

South Sligo

light snow here at Dunshaughlin, but it's not amounting to anything, ground also far too wet for such light snow to stick.

Tonights Icon showing possible Irish Sea streamers getting going for a few hours.

iconeu_uk1-1-19-0.png?31-13

Hirlam also showing streamer potential.

hirlamuk-1-24-0.png?31-10

GFS also showing some steamers.

24-574UK.GIF?31-6

At a guess if they happen, I would imagine south Dublin to Wexford coasts stand the best chance of snow streamer. I am hoping Dunshaughlin in Meath could tap into a streamer, but the wind direction may not be good for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

How will any snow be able to stick after all this rain? Is it a case of if its heavy enough for long enough it ll stick regardless? And when is the "turn" suppose to happen- asking as I cant seem to decipher from any forecast and need to plan/cancel a journey tonight? Very technical question I know!:o Thank you! ( north kk 200 masl)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Gonzo wrote: »
    light snow here at Dunshaughlin, but it's not amounting to anything, ground also far too wet for such light snow to stick.

Tonights Icon showing possible Irish Sea streamers getting going for a few hours.

At a guess if they happen, I would imagine south Dublin to Wexford coasts stand the best chance of snow streamer. I am hoping Dunshaughlin in Meath could tap into a streamer, but the wind direction may not be good for us.

Was wondering when streamers were going to come into the equation, M2 buoy temp has been dropping (4.9c now) and the dew point is down to -1.1c.

Advertisement