Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Think I'm just too far south and east (Wexford town) for anything this time but anyway I'll still stay up half the night radar watching.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dacogawa wrote: »
    Was wondering when streamers were going to come into the equation, M2 buoy temp has been dropping (4.9c now) and the dew point is down to -1.1c.

The potential for streamers would be fairly short lived, from about 2am to early morning. A few places could get lucky.

I remember getting very lucky in January 2008 I think it was, was under a 4 hour streamer which dumped over half a foot of snow. I remember the potential for streamers that night was very narrow not lasting more than 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Disgusting day in East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

That low is such a complex system

On satelite it looks like its pushing precipitation North with a clearance to showers to the Southwest

Cant see minus 6 tonight maybe minus 3

Showers could be anywhere

Someone just said to me that they had more snow last night outside Sligo town.

My take is itl stay 5 or 6c during the day and just below zero at night. Never as severe in these set ups

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow depth at Knock is 6 cm at 1 pm. Sleet being reported despite surface temp of 0.3, dewpoint -0.2. Shallow surface cold layer below warming upper layers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sleet/rain all morning, temperature rose to 3.1C, starting to fall back now, high ground north of Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy snizzle at Dunshaughlin now, starting to leave a wafer thin deposit of slush on top of the car. Still a really dirty day.

If only the precipitation was decent....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sleet/rain all morning, temperature rose to 3.1C, starting to fall back now, high ground north of Kilkenny.
    So what do think our chances are of getting anything later

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Still raining here in South Clare....
    If it was snowing I'd be sleeping in the car tonight, there's so much precipitation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Will it snow in my front garden between 9pm and 9:05pm I’ve to put the bin out and that’s the usual time. Not sure if I should avoid the risk and put it out early. I’ve also heard that after brexit there’ll be no more streamers from the east so enjoy them if you get them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How will any snow be able to stick after all this rain? Is it a case of if its heavy enough for long enough it ll stick regardless? And when is the "turn" suppose to happen- asking as I cant seem to decipher from any forecast and need to plan/cancel a journey tonight? Very technical question I know!:o Thank you! ( north kk 200 masl)

1982 probably started off as rain or sleet looking at the charts. If the temp drops and the snow increases then it will stick.

snow starting to get heavier here now, edges of the grass and moss starting to turn slightly white.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Temperature finally got to 3c. Rain stopped and wind has died down. What's next?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain has cleared in Waterford City for now anyway. 15.2mm since Midnight, Temp 4.6c. Max gust of 67km/h

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

jarvis wrote: »
    Will it snow in my front garden between 9pm and 9:05pm I’ve to put the bin out and that’s the usual time. Not sure if I should avoid the risk and put it out early. I’ve also heard that after brexit there’ll be no more streamers from the east so enjoy them if you get them.

Might need a survival kit. Id bring a flask at very least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

12Z radiosonde data for Valentia show snowline there around 550 metres. Ignore the drop in dewpoints just above the surface. It's a trait of the Valentia soundings and is not real.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/sondage_display.php?id=3953&map=2&date=1548936000&map2=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

gozunda wrote: »
    Temperature finally got to 3c. Rain stopped and wind has died down. What's next?

It’s 4.5 here near Mallow but windchill is considerable. I think we are out of luck for any snow as I think this front will unfortunately fall away to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Thank god the snow has kept away. After last year I'll be happy if I never see it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

not even close to marginal here in tipp, 100m asl. The hills near me have no snow on them up to 420m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Increasingly wintry precip here now

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Thank god the snow has kept away. After last year I'll be happy if I never see it again.

Site ban - for eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I think people are forgetting this is supposed to be a slow burner.
    Don't think anyone forecast there would be much snow by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

channaigh wrote: »

We will likely get something later on the higher ground, might not be a lot but it's a wait and see.

Davaeo09 wrote: »

Not down south anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Exactly....rain to sleet to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Sorry, but there was snow forecast to be falling by now. There was also talk of significant event in south, which would be almost over now. Not to mention all the ‘ECM boom, 12 inches oooh errr matron’ stuff.

It’s quite clear to me that only very moderate and localized accumulations are now probable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All forecasting said tonight anyway, anyone that got any today were ahead of schedule for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

RobertKK wrote: »
    channaigh wrote: »

We will likely get something later on the higher ground, might not be a lot but it's a wait and see.
    Hopefully enough to close the school on top of the hill 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Sorry, but there was snow forecast to be falling by now. There was also talk of significant event in south, which would be almost over now. Not to mention all the ‘ECM boom, 12 inches oooh errr matron’ stuff.

It’s quite clear to me that only very moderate and localized accumulations are now probable

Sounds like you need a break from Netweather! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Lashing rain ,howling wind and bloody freezing here in North Wexford

Advertisement