Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We have had an extra inch of snow since 11 am, right now its intermittent snizzle, bloody cold in the wind.

Report from the great snowy mountains of south east Sligo :cool:

How much do you have in total up there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

I think that's more or less it now. No real chance of anything of note at low levels. When you look at where our cold is supposed to come from we don't have any.

I have seen plenty of marginal setups for snow in recent years. Apart from Beast from the East, the general success rate from these marginal set ups is like 1 out of 10 for low lying areas on the eastern side of Ireland. But still one has to ask a question even if today would turn in to snow event more widely this would only stay on the ground for a day or two as by Sunday its back to south westerlies.
    So not much to loose really from this fail, apart from the fact that pattern is going to reset and winter will be on last legs soon. So much for HLB seasonal fail from many sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My own mother cancelled an important hospital appointment in Tullamore today as she was afraid she wouldn’t get home after reading his forecast.
    I tried to tell her we were not expecting what he predicted but she said he being a weather channel would know what he is talking about and what would I know.
    Before I have seen people ringing into work saying they would not be in after he put graphics with red warnings on it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Radar saying Drogheda is under a band of precip, it's bone dry.

same here, hasn't rained or snowed since about 2.30pm. Just damp. I'd say very little left in it now from Dublin northwards apart from the odd flurry or spits of drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Occasional bursts of sleet and hail in D3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

harr wrote: »
    My own mother cancelled an important hospital appointment in Tullamore today as she was afraid she wouldn’t get home after reading his forecast.
    I tried to tell her we were not expecting what he predicted but she said he being a weather channel would know what he is talking about and what would I know.
    Before I have seen people ringing into work saying they would not be in after he put graphics with red warnings on it...

Its amazing how people rely of Facebook/Twitter for pretty much everything. People will believe total strangers cause it's on the internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Periscal wrote: »
    But still one has to ask a question even if today would turn in to snow event more widely this would only stay on the ground for a day or two as by Sunday its back to south westerlies.

In this part of Ireland, one or two days of lying snow would be considered very rare. Most years, one day doesn't even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Scrambling for anything positive to say but I see DP dropped from 3 to 0 in Cork from 2pm to 4pm. Clutching I know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Travelling across the width of Offaly for the second time today and
    Not a snowflake to be seen all day. Well done Midlands Weather Channel (Again)

Sorry Ray, this is the boards.ie weather forum. The MWC appreciation society is on Fakebook.

After some earlier snow in Galway it turned to sleet and now light rain mixed with sleet with a bitter cold breeze.

Edit: Sorry, sarcasm is hard to detect in text format sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

And we finally have snow in Swords
    Correction
    It's stopped again we got 2 mins of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

harr wrote: »

My own workplace were sharing this repeatedly and saying they wouldn't be in today, calling snowmageddon and saying they would be snowed in. Meetings and events cancelled and emergency plans put in place for shift staff.

I pointed out it was fake news and nearly had my head chewed off, and told to cop on.

I think its a disgrace that sort of thing is posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sorry Ray, this is the boards.ie weather forum. The MWC appreciation society is on Fakebook.

After some earlier snow in Galway it turned to sleet and now light rain mixed with sleet with a bitter cold breeze.

I think he was being sarcastic, not appreciating it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    In this part of Ireland, one or two days of lying snow would be considered very rare.

Yep. I've seen lying snow in 3 winters this decade so far. Excluding 2010 and 2018, which were obviously exceptional, I'd say I had maybe 2 days of lying snow? Think I had very brief lying snow around 1 March 2013 but that melted quickly so possibly up to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Rain completely stopped now in Firhouse Dublin 24.......
    I think GL is right, it's all too marginal for snow for Dublin, even tomorrow, those Irish sea streamers won't be cold enough.......
    Sigh. I was looking forward to seeing some flakes falling and the wonderful silence that comes with snow........
    But the rugby is on Saturday so things are looking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

RobertKK wrote: »
    Transitioning to full on snow here on the hills in Kilkenny.
    Not here yet near Ballyragget bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Very wet windy squally day in South cavan/North Longford. There has been an odd shower with some snow mixed in but nothing much to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Yep. I've seen lying snow in 3 winters this decade so far. Excluding 2010 and 2018, which were obviously exceptional, I'd say I had maybe 2 days of lying snow? Think I had very brief lying snow around 1 March 2013 but that melted quickly so possibly up to 3.

I've seen lying snow in this part of Dublin on 27th March 2013 and 4th March 2016 outside of 2010 and 2018 this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Still raining here in South Clare.
    Absolute shlop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dry here again in Dublin 16. Temp on the rise too. 3.2c DP 0.8c atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think one of the main issues with today is not totally down to the dew points or temperature but the overall lack of precipitation.

I haven't read very many reports of heavy precipitation apart from some western and southern areas. If precipitation was properly decent, some places could have done rather well with snow.

Still chances of dustings at low levels further south later this evening and tonight.

Will be banking on the Irish Sea to perform some luck and much needed magic later tonight, again i'm clutching the Straws from Winter 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Was mildly interesting to see if the possibility of some snow might happen in Dublin after originally being a certain no

Happy to bow out now and return next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've seen lying snow in this part of Dublin on 27th March 2013 and 4th March 2016 outside of 2010 and 2018 this decade.

I don't remember 27th March 2013 tbh. All I can remember is snow on the 1st, 11th and 17th. I do remember March 2016 though. I saw a flew flakes frozen on the car in December 2017 if that counts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Was mildly interesting to see if the possibility of some snow might happen in Dublin after originally being a certain no

Happy to bow out now and return next year

A bit early to be bowing out!! The beast from the east was in March last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

channaigh wrote: »

You are in a dry section.

Temperatures are falling nicely now around here, 1.9C so it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

To many posters here saying where gonna get lucky tojight and others saying absolutely no chance , annoying . I think we all need to calm down and let nature do its thing. Hopefully suprised for some tonight

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I don't remember 27th March 2013 tbh. All I can remember is snow on the 1st, 11th and 17th. I do remember March 2016 though. I saw a flew flakes frozen on the car in December 2017 if that counts :D

March 2013 brought several nights of snow showers, nothing too heavy, about 1 to 3cm some nights. Snow cover never lasted past 11am each morning as the sun would just power through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think one of the main issues with today is not totally down to the dew points or temperature but the overall lack of precipitation.

I haven't read very many reports of heavy precipitation apart from some western and southern areas. If precipitation was properly decent, some places could have done rather well with snow.

Still chances of dustings at low levels further south later this evening and tonight.

Will be banking on the Irish Sea to perform some luck and much needed magic later tonight, again i'm clutching the Straws from Winter 2017.

Hasn’t stopped precipitating here at Gal/Tipp border all day...but not a drop of it has been snow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Turning here outside Arklow
    A lot of wet flakes in it
    2.6c
    Dew point is 0c
    Very gusty East wind

As my Ma says 'it would skin the Danes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Did I read earlier on this thread a poster talking about red level warnings for today? I’m not trolling I’m genuinely asking before the usual torrent of abuse comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

RobertKK wrote: »
    channaigh wrote: »

You are in a dry section.

Temperatures are falling nicely now around here, 1.9C so it's only a matter of time.
    The kids are waiting. Do you think we are in line for something tonight

Advertisement