Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I have been following with great interest , in fact there has barely been any sleep the last few nights I keep getting up to check outside to see if there’s any snow 🀣 kids are driving me nuts also waiting for snow 🙈
    Can any of you experts tell me what the chances of snow in Waterford ??

Waiting in anticipation !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like the precip is starting to turn east according to nertweather, a shower on the way to Cork, looks like sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

channaigh wrote: »
    The kids are waiting. Do you think we are in line for something tonight

It is hard to know, but temperatures are falling so if there is enough precipitation its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think one of the main issues with today is not totally down to the dew points or temperature but the overall lack of precipitation.

I haven't read very many reports of heavy precipitation apart from some western and southern areas. If precipitation was properly decent, some places could have done rather well with snow.

Still chances of dustings at low levels further south later this evening and tonight.

Will be banking on the Irish Sea to perform some luck and much needed magic later tonight, again i'm clutching the Straws from Winter 2017.

It definately turned more to snow for a while when it got heavier earlier in Galway, the temp in the car also dropped. It turned back to sleet shortly after and was less intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still cant see how this will bring minus 6 and snow

Getting milder in SW and mild air up to Clare now 5c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Hasn’t stopped precipitating here at Gal/Tipp border all day...but not a drop of it has been snow :(

dew points in your area have been around 2 or 3C all day. Further north were dew points have been around 0C, precipitation just didn't really get going other than spots of drizzle, light rain or a few flurries here and there.

You may be in luck later with dew points lowering, could be a covering in some southern areas by the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kamili wrote: »
    My own workplace were sharing this repeatedly and saying they wouldn't be in today, calling snowmageddon and saying they would be snowed in. Meetings and events cancelled and emergency plans put in place for shift staff.

I pointed out it was fake news and nearly had my head chewed off, and told to cop on.

I think its a disgrace that sort of thing is posted.

Were you the only one in work today ?:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looks like the precip is starting to turn east according to nertweather, a shower on the way to Cork, looks like sleet.

Winds are still from the south? Temps dropping a bit now to 5C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Down to 2.1c at mine with DP of 1.2c but not much precip about.

A station on the backstairs at 300M had a max temp of 0.6c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ironic that the older generation who warned us all not to believe or trust anything nevermind everything on the internet are now the generation that believe everything on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Did I read earlier on this thread a poster talking about red level warnings for today? I’m not trolling I’m genuinely asking before the usual torrent of abuse comes.

Yes you did read that, and you would have also read their post saying - oh ok, hands up, I called it wrong
    Not trolling, cmon Clonmel

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Due to fly out of Manchester to Dublin at 10pm. Should I be worried?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Dcully wrote: »

Nope I don't think so

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm near Dublin Airport now and it's just a normal, cold, damp day. We'd have to get a mad snow storm in the next hour or so to affect you I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Heavy snow kicked off in Cornwall about two hours ago. Roads closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Nah, Manchester is a safe city.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Patchy/sporadic bursts of rain and sleet in Dublin 16 for the last while. 2.8c DP 0.6c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'd use an aeroplane just to be on the safe side

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'd use an aeroplane just to be on the safe side

Where did ya learn that one?

Flying is safe these days so you have nothing to worry about, watch out for them dubs when you land though, they'll rob the eye out of your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Where did ya learn that one?

Christmas cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Patchy/sporadic bursts of rain and sleet in Dublin 16 for the last while. 2.8c DP 0.6c atm.

I'm only up the road (50M ASL) and It's 3.9C here, crazy what "down the road" a difference can make.

In other news, my friend who lives in Hereford England has had nothing all day, despite his area of the midlands supposed to get pasted betwwen 2pm- overnight. weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Latest Dublin Forecast from Met Eireann -

Very cold this evening and overnight with further wintry falls and there will be some snow accumulations. Showers dying out in the early morning. Frost and icy conditions too. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -2 degrees .

I'm not expecting much below ~150m but we shall see.

Munsters update:

TONIGHT - THURSDAY 31ST JANUARY
    Very cold overnight with further wintry falls, becoming confined mainly to the south, where there will be some snow accumulations. Frost and icy conditions too. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -3 degrees .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Munsters update:

TONIGHT - THURSDAY 31ST JANUARY
    Very cold overnight with further wintry falls, becoming confined mainly to the south, where there will be some snow accumulations. Frost and icy conditions too. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -3 degrees .

Further wintry falls? Hasn’t been one yet today!!

Further wintry falls? Hasn’t been one yet today!!

If you check netweather its showing a band of snow (most likely high levels) in like mitchelstown, tallow and up to Limerick where it becomes sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've seen lying snow in this part of Dublin on 27th March 2013 and 4th March 2016 outside of 2010 and 2018 this decade.

I remember Easter being early one year and we had lying snow - looking at the calendar, it was 2013 which correlates with the 2013 date you mention above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

TTLF wrote: »
    I'm only up the road (50M ASL) and It's 3.9C here, crazy what "down the road" a difference can make.

In other news, my friend who lives in Hereford England has had nothing all day, despite his area of the midlands supposed to get pasted betwwen 2pm- overnight. weird.

The main heavy area of precipitation is struggling to get into the UK, most of it is around Cornwall and then into the English Channel, I'm not sure it will get as far north as London and the M4 corridor.

Back in Ireland the band seems to be decaying over north Leinster. Plenty of precipitation from the Wicklow mountains down to Wexford which stops around Waterford.

Another very intense looking area of precipitation in a narrow band from Cork, through Limerick and on to Galway. Could be some very decent snow inland under that.

The main heavy area of precipitation is struggling to get into the UK, most of it is around Cornwall and then into the English Channel, I'm not sure it will get as far north as London and the M4 corridor.

Back in Ireland the band seems to be decaying over north Leinster. Plenty of precipitation from the Wicklow mountains down to Wexford which stops around Waterford.

Another very intense looking area of precipitation in a narrow band from Cork, through Limerick and on to Galway. Could be some very decent snow inland under that.

That narrow band is agonizingly close to me, need it to shift just slightly East

Too little too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Heavy hail shower. Ground white. East Cork.

Advertisement