Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian PR while working part time in Europe

Options
  • 26-01-2019 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all.
    I have a plan that so far based on what I have researched, seems to be without any major problems.
    That being said maybe some of you can point out any realistic problems that I can expect to encounter.
    I currently hold a 2 year Canadian work and holiday visa which was activated 1 year ago.
    I had planned to return to Canada from Ireland in the next two weeks. I am based in British Columbia.
    I have being offered a position in a company in Europe (Greece) that I would be a fool to turn down. This position runs 5 months of the year every year.
    Originally I had being hoping to apply for Canadian PR when I returned.
    From the research that I have done on PR I have learned that 2 out of the 5 years need to be spent in Canada. with the job in Greece I will spend 5 months per year, over 5 years , a total of 25 months/2 years 1 month.
    My job in Canada supports this which is great.
    I can potentially apply for express PR with my current qualifications.
    Unfortunately I have until the end of next week to make a decision.
    If anyone out there can offer some advice on this plan. Especially if you have experienced something similar.
    Does this seem like a waste of time and effort? Will I most likely experience a lot of stress and headache from this with little chance of success? Or does this seem like a plan that will have a high chance of success?
    Many thanks for reading and pondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

No major problems with that plan. Only risk is the residency obligation changes to be more than 2 years in 5 but I can't see that happening. You may also be subject to extra scrutiny when applying to renew your PR card. Also you won't qualify for citizenship if you spent 5 months of the year outside Canada. Also your taxes may be complicated.

Finally be aware that the RO is not calculated in 5 year blocks, it's assessed every time you enter the country, or apply for a PR card renewal. That means that if you enter Canada, from that day if you count back 5 years, you must have been present in Canada for 2 of those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oxford_13

Thank you very much for your reply and the great info that you have provided. These are all thoughts to ponder some more.
    I expect taxes will become somewhat of a nightmare but I will just have to deal with that at the time.
    Thanks again.
    Much appreciated.

Hi Circular flexing.
    Am I clear in understanding what you explained in the last part of your message, that if I return to Canada in 2 weeks, begin my PR application, giving that I have spent 9 months in Canada from the start date of my visa returned home after 9 months and will be returning 4 months later to continue on with my visa that I will have little or no hope of being granted PR as I have not spent the full 2 years in Canada prior to my flight landing in Vancouver?
    So on a two year work and holiday visa a person would need to have spent the entirety of this in Canada in order for their application to be successful?
    If so is this something that an employer could help me with?
    Thanks circular flexing

Hi Circular flexing.
    Am I clear in understanding what you explained in the last part of your message, that if I return to Canada in 2 weeks, begin my PR application, giving that I have spent 9 months in Canada from the start date of my visa returned home after 9 months and will be returning 4 months later to continue on with my visa that I will have little or no hope of being granted PR as I have not spent the full 2 years in Canada prior to my flight landing in Vancouver?
    So on a two year work and holiday visa a person would need to have spent the entirety of this in Canada in order for their application to be successful?
    If so is this something that an employer could help me with?
    Thanks circular flexing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The clock for residency obligation doesn't start until you land as PR, any time spent in Canada under IEC is irrelevant for RO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement