Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behavior around new house

Options
  • 26-01-2019 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Not sure where else to post this.

My parents bought a new house a few months ago. Its in the town but its on its own down a private lane way, its a very old house and is in a part of town that would have been the countryside up until the 60's so it still has a countryside feel to it, there are houses at the top of the lane way but you cant see the houses from the new house.
    Since buying the house and moving in, several times we've encountered people hanging around the laneway near the house sometimes smoking and drinking, as the laneway is dark and secluded this is very intimidating when walking to the house. Last week a group of teenagers where sitting at a wall directly at the entrance to the front garden, my mother who was driving in stopped and told them they where on private property and they shouldn't be there, one of the boys squared up to her.

I should add there is nothing separating the lane way from the entrance to the house, theres no where to put a gate and we cant put a gate at the top of the laneway as its used by the other residences.

Is there anything we can do? Ive had to walk down the lane very late at night some evenings and its very intimidating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

AK47 should sort them out.. a few rounds at their legs and never any more trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

If they own the lane put some lights up, if they don't, then ask the council to put some lights up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What happened the noise makers only teenagers could hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

irishgeo wrote: »

They're not allowed apparently....

But this is always a go to option for any AH problem...

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-LA-2-2-Pack/dp/B01BHU4SVS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548476340&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=liquid+ass&dpPl=1&dpID=41dKWUHW20L&ref=plSrch

Just read the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The reviews are like a comedy sketch show.
    lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Teapot30 wrote: »

My parents bought a new house a few months ago. Its in the town but its on its own down a private lane way, its a very old house and is in a part of town that would have been the countryside up until the 60's so it still has a countryside feel to it, there are houses at the top of the lane way but you cant see the houses from the new house.
    Since buying the house and moving in, several times we've encountered people hanging around the laneway near the house sometimes smoking and drinking, as the laneway is dark and secluded this is very intimidating when walking to the house. Last week a group of teenagers where sitting at a wall directly at the entrance to the front garden, my mother who was driving in stopped and told them they where on private property and they shouldn't be there, one of the boys squared up to her.

I should add there is nothing separating the lane way from the entrance to the house, theres no where to put a gate and we cant put a gate at the top of the laneway as its used by the other residences.

Is there anything we can do? Ive had to walk down the lane very late at night some evenings and its very intimidating.

Is there a gate to this laneway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Smear the wall with molasses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Your parents like dogs? Should just get a nice big German Shepard and train it to so when it sees tracksuits and smells Lynx to go for the jugular!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

El_Bee wrote: »

Is there a gate to this laneway?
    Do people even read?

Its clear from the OP if they can't put a gate up. Using my intuition i am guessing a gate doesn't exist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or play classical music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Any more of that "squaring up" you should report to Community Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

People like them will most likely strive to get a reaction from you and your parents. Just ignore them as best you can and they'll move on. If you react then they'll make your life hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ned Gerblanski

They're not allowed apparently....

But this is always a go to option for any AH problem...
    LIQUID ASS (url removed)
    Just read the reviews

They are the funniest reviews I've ever read anywhere. Gas stuff!
    So just get some Liquid ass and pour some around where they like to hang. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Install lights so the laneway is no longer dark, and CCTV so it is no longer isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Lights may help, and CCTV definitely would. Don't go the dog route or they'll end up mutilating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Its even simpler than that, its not a volume but tone or frequency. My girlfriends boss is too tight to play it outside his corner shop but is willing to put up with antisocial behaviour. I would do it in a heart beat. It wont cost the earth and when they complain noone will believe them.

I wouldn't square up to them OP. Let community Gardai deal with it- they're probably very familiar with what happens in the town, who's a threat V's who's just a bit of a nuisance. A few drive-by's if they have the time, when the teenagers are outside of your house will probably move them on.

Lighting would help enormously on the laneway also and will probably drive them towards another part of town. Also, talk to the neighbours; as they've been there longer they'll be able to tell you what the story is. I wonder are they there in Summer when evenings are longer or is this their Winter haunt?

Or play classical music.

I know its against the Geneva convention but Daniel O Donnell, "I miss my mammy but things are fine in the closet" EP , come to mind

I know its against the Geneva convention but Daniel O Donnell, "I miss my mammy but things are fine in the closet" EP , come to mind

Philip Glass can clear whole auditoriums.

Its even simpler than that, its not a volume but tone or frequency. My girlfriends boss is too tight to play it outside his corner shop but is willing to put up with antisocial behaviour. I would do it in a heart beat. It wont cost the earth and when they complain no one will believe them.

Its played at 20k mHz I think but I would have to check it up.

I am on the spectrum so my hearing is very good and was never into night clubs. All I will describe it as "a slightly uncomfortable awareness behind the ears"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Its played at 20k mHz I think but I would have to check it up.

I am on the spectrum so my hearing is very good and was never into night clubs. All I will describe it as "a slightly uncomfortable awareness behind the ears"

I can hear it! Good!

It's very annoying!

I wouldn't square up to them OP. Let community Gardai deal with it- they're probably very familiar with what happens in the town, who's a threat V's who's just a bit of a nuisance. A few drive-by's if they have the time, when the teenagers are outside of your house will probably move them on.

Lighting would help enormously on the laneway also and will probably drive them towards another part of town. Also, talk to the neighbours; as they've been there longer they'll be able to tell you what the story is. I wonder are they there in Summer when evenings are longer or is this their Winter haunt?

Community Gardai are useless with tits on. Kids nor parents have no respect for them. Hell I have no faith in the capability of the Gardai. A discrete speaker system as mentioned above would be the way to go, not a full blast but just enough.

I can hear it! Good!

It's very annoying!

Can you describe it accurately enough to make a complaint to a Garda that it will be taken seriously? .... I doubt it

Community Gardai are useless with tits on. Kids nor parents have no respect for them. Hell I have no faith in the capability of the Gardai. A discrete speaker system as mentioned above would be the way to go, not a full blast but just enough.

Repeated phonecalls to gardaí will get action. They don't want to be hassled with kind of thing, and people constantly phoning up- so they'll come down hard on the teens as a result. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Get a sponge and a pint of Diesel. Sponge the diesel onto the top of the wall where they sit. It will destroy their clothes and mammy will tear them a new hole. But also call to the local station and speak to the "Compol" guy's. Where in the country are they ?

Get a sponge and a pint of Diesel. Sponge the diesel onto the top of the wall where they sit. It will destroy their clothes and mammy will tear them a new hole.

You Sir, an evil genius!!! What about Jeyes Fluid, it shifts nesting swallows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Are you sure it's a private laneway and private to who? Is there a reference to it in the title documents and land registry records? Maybe it's a private right of way shared by all who live off the lane or maybe it's not. I'd be checking that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Grease where ever they sit. A motor factors will have it in stock and they won't be long wrecking their clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

elperello wrote: »
    Any more of that "squaring up" you should report to Community Garda.

Or plant a lump hammer directly between his eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Or plant a lump hammer directly between his eyes.

Or go the home alone route,
    Oil and bird seed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement