Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet X Ireland?

Options
  • 26-01-2019 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed any light on Planet X Ireland for me?
    Do they still exist? How does one go about talking to them?

1) No email address on website
    2) Phone number goes to voicemail and I tried a load of times this week
    3) Leave a message form on webpage didn't produce any reply
    4) Got on online chat with Planet X UK who said there is zero connection and that Planet X Ireland used to buy bikes from them but don't anymore

Are they gone or just tough to get hold of?

They're listed on my BTW scheme and I was considering as an option.

On the off-chance that they DO exist, can they normally get in any Planet X bike listed on UK site but not Irish one (however see point 4 above)

Thanks for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

g0g wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on Planet X Ireland for me?
    Do they still exist? How does one go about talking to them?

1) No email address on website
    2) Phone number goes to voicemail and I tried a load of times this week
    3) Leave a message form on webpage didn't produce any reply
    4) Got on online chat with Planet X UK who said there is zero connection and that Planet X Ireland used to buy bikes from them but don't anymore

Are they gone or just tough to get hold of?

They're listed on my BTW scheme and I was considering as an option.

On the off-chance that they DO exist, can they normally get in any Planet X bike listed on UK site but not Irish one (however see point 4 above)

Thanks for any input

Rumour has it that they are closing / closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

jamesd wrote:
    Rumour has it that they are closing / closed.

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Good riddance.

Whatever you may think of their bikes, the owner is a nice guy (as are many of the staff) and he did a great retul bike fitting service. Hopefully, he’ll keep that up in some shape or form.

Anyways, if true*, it will be a double blow for Athlone and the midlands as another bike shop in the town closed recently as well.

*I wouldn’t actually be surprised if it was true. I was recently thinking of buying a new bike from there, but after pricing it up against getting the equivalent bike from the UK website store, it would have cost close to €200 more to shop locally. My understanding is that they were always a franchise and had to buy the bikes themselves from the UK store (hence they then needed to add on a mark-up to make a profit and hence why they were always more expensive than buying directly from UK website)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I dropped down on Wednesday and they were closed, sent a message and this is the reply I got.

Apologies for this. I have no staff at the moment as 2 of my guys got very good jobs over Christmas and left suddenly and I am managing a team in New Zealand. Again apologies I will update the communication pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

That sounds about right the owner is currently the manager/ds of the new evo/pro racing team shame if the shop has closed or is closing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Anyone been in the shop lately? I'm planning on heading down to check out some CX bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Whyner wrote: »
    Anyone been in the shop lately? I'm planning on heading down to check out some CX bikes

I could've sworn I saw an ad on fb the other day for a bike shop of another name in that exact location. Can't find anything now though :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I could've sworn I saw an ad on fb the other day for a bike shop of another name in that exact location. Can't find anything now though :(

Looks like he was selling off old stock this weekend. Facebook ad was Planet Ireland Bikes.

On their UK site:

Our Stores
    Please Note our Store is now closed
    Planet X reputation for supplying high-quality products at competitive prices continues to grow online nationally and internationally.

As our lease has come to an end, it is a natural point to close our last remaining retail store and focus 100% of our effort upon selling online to our growing customer base.

All of our fantastic team have been relocated to our central distribution centre and our Sheffield Store is now closed

If you have any further questions please Contact Us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whyner wrote: »
    On their UK site:

Just so you know. Planet X IReland and PLanet X uk are 2different entities. The irsih one is just licensed to sell te bikes pretty much. Planet X Uk shut its shops a few years ago and has a central warehouse now.

• Advertisement

Gotcha, wasn't sure if that note was recent or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Looks like they've rebranded as Planet Bike Ireland on FB anyway. I saw an ad on my feed over the weekend for a massive clearance sale, can't find it on the fb page now though. It did sound like they were pricing everything to go, Carnac helmets for €20 etc...

Advertisement