Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

Get Real is just a slowed down version of Creep, fo sure. She might as well have just asked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ridiculous move by Radiohead to be sure, but in their defence, Creep has the same chord progression as The Air that I Breathe and that's about it. Get Free has the same chord progression and and an obviously similar vocal melody to Creep and there is zero chance she/her writers weren't familiar with Creep. Rick Beato as usual has a good video on it and mentions she offered them 40% without even going to court which says a lot. I have no idea what the outcome was of it though. :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The song, The Air that I breathe, made famous by The Hollies was written by Albert Hammond. His son Albert Hammond Junior plays rhythm guitar for The Strokes. Hammond Sr ended up getting a co writer credit on Radiohead's song, Creep. Radiohead were then sued by the record label that owned the publishing rights to the song.
    The singer Lana Del Ray was recently sued by Radiohead's label due to claims that her song, Get Free, sounded like Creep.
    I bet they all heard the tune first while in an elevator. Turns out it was on a b-side of a Eurovision single many moons ago for an entry from Norway or Denmark, and all the original band members and anyone associated with that song in any way shape or form are all dead. Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think I've had that most of my life... how is it pronounced?
    In Mandarin, it's 报仇睡前拖延, where the pinyin is bàochóu shuì qián tuōyán. She's in Taiwan, so there's at least a dialectal difference, and they use the older more complex characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

New Home wrote: »
    I bet they all heard the tune first while in an elevator. Turns out it was on a b-side of a Eurovision single many moons ago for an entry from Norway or Denmark, and all the original band members and anyone associated with that song in any way shape or form are all dead. Or something.

In fairness to Albert hammond we all know a lot of his songs whether we know it or or not

Watching horrible histories with junior last night, I never associated Roman emporer cesar with cesarian birth

Roman law under Caesar decreed that all women who were so fated by childbirth must be cut open; hence, cesarean. Other possible Latin origins include the verb "caedare," meaning to cut, and the term "caesones" that was applied to infants born by postmortem operations.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I remember being told that Caesar was a nickname that meant bald (like Claudius meant lame), and that that method of delivering a baby was named after him because he was born that way himself. I'll look it up later.

I remember being told that Caesar was a nickname that meant bald (like Claudius meant lame), and that that method of delivering a baby was named after him because he was born that way himself. I'll look it up later.

Also on horrible histories they had Viking funerals and how they partied hard afterwards, I wonder is that where we got our waking customs, they say abroad that we do death well here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Speedsie wrote: »
    Banoffee pie was invented in 1971 in Sussex.

Salted caramel was invented in 1977 by a French chef

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel#Salted_caramel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The song, The Air that I breathe, made famous by The Hollies was written by Albert Hammond. His son Albert Hammond Junior plays rhythm guitar for The Strokes. Hammond Sr ended up getting a co writer credit on Radiohead's song, Creep. Radiohead were then sued by the record label that owned the publishing rights to the song.
    The singer Lana Del Ray was recently sued by Radiohead's label due to claims that her song, Get Free, sounded like Creep.
    *Rey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

in 1989 Pepsi had the 6th largest navy in the world*

Pepsi was allowed to trade in the USSR since 1972. They couldn't accept Rubles in payment but did get Stolichnaya in exchange. But when the USSR invaded Afghanistan in 1980 the US boycotted Russian goods including vodka which Pepsi couldn't sell anymore.
    Pepsi asked for the money it needed differently. In 1989, the Soviet government and Pepsi signed a strange agreement in which Pepsico acted as a middleman to scrap 17 old submarines and three warships.

But in order to scrap them, they had to take ownership of them.

*In your face Coke. :P

*Sigh* You couldn't even let me have two hours could you? I might have to send the Pepsi Navy after ya. :cool:

:confused:

Sorry, what?

A bad joke. :o

• Advertisement

Ah, yes. NH misses the point yet again, what a shocker... :p

608701.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ He gave away even more. His foundation closed down 14 of September 2020 after giving more than 8 billion dollars away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Didn’t he die last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Didn’t he die last year?

Rumours of his death are greatly exaggerated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Julius Wagner-Jauregg won a Nobel Prize for a syphilis treatment.

Give the patients malaria to induce fever.

And the best bit was only 15% of patients died of malaria.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, wha'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, wha'?
    Except for polio anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The name Vanessa was invented by Jonathan Swift

Wasn't that a type of butterfly?

He took it from the name of Esther Vanhomrigh, who he had a long relationship with. Van from her surname and Essa from the pet form of her first name. He wrote a poem called Cadenus and Vanessa after her.

The naming of the butterfly postdates his life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Flutterby is a much better word.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The name Vanessa was invented by Jonathan Swift

And the name Wendy was created by J.M. Barrie for the character in Peter Pan.

There was no Lorna until R. D. Blackmore's Lorna Doon

humberklog wrote: »

I always thought Wendy was a diminutive of Gwendolyn. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

While research shows that Barrie didn't invent the name "Wendy", he might as well have. Barrie introduced the character Wendy Darling in Peter Pan in 1904.

"The name Wendy appeared twice in the 1881 census of England, one born 1840, and one born in 1880. The magazine Family History also states that Wendy, along with the names Marian and Shirley were once boys names, and that in 1797 a boy named Wendy was apprenticed to some one in Glos."

link https://web.archive.org/web/20160125143240/http://www.wendy.com/wendyweb/history.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

He took it from the name of Esther Vanhomrigh, who he had a long relationship with. Van from her surname and Essa from the pet form of her first name. He wrote a poem called Cadenus and Vanessa after her.

The naming of the butterfly postdates his life.
    Who was Stella in Swift's life?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Esel wrote: »

A sixpack of lager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The surname MacGregor was banned in the United Kingdom under pain of death between 1603 and 1774, apart from a brief respite when Charles II was on the throne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Stella was his name for Esther Johnson.
    He liked his Esthers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Someone who made him yella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stella was a diver, and she was always down...

610053.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Montgomery, the state capital of Alabama and one of the birthplaces of the Civil Rights movement in the US was named after Richard Montgomery from Swords. He never went there, or anywhere near there, having fought in the West Indies, Canada and New England. He has counties names after him in 13 states.

He grew up in Abbeville House in Kinsealy, which was later owned by Charlie Haughey.

The Rolling Stones first performed "I can't get no satisfaction" at the Adelphi theatre on Abbey St in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Squirrels are behind most power outages in the U.S. https://cybersquirrel1.com/

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

It’s impossible to hum while holding your nose

J is the most recent addition to the alphabet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

It’s impossible to hum while holding your nose

Nope.

The spiny dogfish, a small species of shark which inhabits our waters and is well known to any angler is unlike almost any other shark in that it possesses a pair of venomous spines near the dorsal fin which are used defensively.

They undertake extremely long migrations, one dogfish was found to have travelled over 8000 kilometers being tagged off the pacific coast of Washington and recaptured off the coast of Japan.

They also have the longest gestation period of any vertebrate, lasting 22-24 months!

I was perhaps most surprised to learn that they have recently become a threatened species due to overfishing - in my youth fishing on the Shannon estuary and the Atlantic coast of Clare only c. 15 years ago they were by far the most ubiquitous species we’d catch. I haven’t been fishing in years so presumably things have changed in that regard, sad to see!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was perhaps most surprised to learn that they have recently become a threatened species due to overfishing - in my youth fishing on the Shannon estuary and the Atlantic coast of Clare only c. 15 years ago they were by far the most ubiquitous species we’d catch. I haven’t been fishing in years so presumably things have changed in that regard, sad to see!

I pulled a few in this (late) summer when mackerel fishing in N. Co. Dublin. Very annoying yokes, but yeah you've gotta be careful of the stingers at the back when unhooking them.

Apparently they used to be a popular fish in chippers and were called Rock Salmon, I've never seen it for sale myself though.

I pulled a few in this (late) summer when mackerel fishing in N. Co. Dublin. Very annoying yokes, but yeah you've gotta be careful of the stingers at the back when unhooking them.

Apparently they used to be a popular fish in chippers and were called Rock Salmon, I've never seen it for sale myself though.

Yeah they’re very tough to handle alright, like a thick chord of writhing muscle!

And haha well I saw today that in an effort to shift eating preferences of Britons towards more locally available fish due to Brexit they’ll be rebranding a lot of their indigenous catch with more palatable names ala dogfish being called “rock salmon” :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There's a reference to it in the Commitments movie when they're driving the band around in a chipper van and an old man asks "have ye any rock salmon?" And they respond "sorry, we only have soul!"

Man I love that movie.

• Advertisement

582673.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fell down a wikipedia rabbit hole at the weekend on Irish poets & nationalism at the beginning of the 20th century...better than Eastenders.

WB Yeats was infatuated with Maud Gonne, and asked her to marry him 5 times between 1900 and 1910. She refused him each time and instead married John MacBride, and had one son Sean MacBride. Their marriage was a disaster and they divorced after 2 years. John was later executed for his role in the 1916 rising, whereas Sean later founded Clann na Poblachta and became minister for external affairs under De Valera.
    Yeats proposed to Gonne again in 1916, who at this stage was 51 and addicted to cholorofom, and was again turned down. He then proposed to Maud's daughter Iseult Gonne, who was then 21 and the product of Maud and a French politician to reincarnate their dead son by having sex in his mausoleum. Iseult refused. and later eloped with 17yo writer Francis Stuart. Both embraced fascism, Stuart broadcast to Ireland fro Nazi germany on the greatness of Hitler, whereas Gonne was put on trial for harbouring Nazi agents in Ireland. Stuart later became head of Aosdana, which caused a furore due to his links to Nazi Germany.
    Yeats died in France in 1939 at age 73. He was buried discreetly in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, with instruction to "dig me up in a year when everyone has forgotten, and plant me in Sligo.". His body was returned to Ireland by the Irish Navy, which by then was under the command of Sean MacBride, the son of his former nemeses/muse.

There is important new information which suggests that Seqenenre-Taa-II, The Brave, (c.1558–1553 BC) who ruled Southern Egypt during the occupation of Egypt by the Hyksos may have been murdered:eek:

ec6xy3A.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There is important new information which suggests that Seqenenre-Taa-II, The Brave, (c.1558–1553 BC) who ruled Southern Egypt during the occupation of Egypt by the Hyksos may have been murdered:
    I knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

retalivity wrote: »
    Fell down a wikipedia rabbit hole at the weekend on Irish poets & nationalism at the beginning of the 20th century...better than Eastenders.

WB Yeats was infatuated with Maud Gonne, and asked her to marry him 5 times between 1900 and 1910. She refused him each time and instead married John MacBride, and had one son Sean MacBride. Their marriage was a disaster and they divorced after 2 years. John was later executed for his role in the 1916 rising, whereas Sean later founded Clann na Poblachta and became minister for external affairs under De Valera.
    Yeats proposed to Gonne again in 1916, who at this stage was 51 and addicted to cholorofom, and was again turned down. He then proposed to Maud's daughter Iseult Gonne, who was then 21 and the product of Maud and a French politician to reincarnate their dead son by having sex in his mausoleum. Iseult refused. and later eloped with 17yo writer Francis Stuart. Both embraced fascism, Stuart broadcast to Ireland fro Nazi germany on the greatness of Hitler, whereas Gonne was put on trial for harbouring Nazi agents in Ireland. Stuart later became head of Aosdana, which caused a furore due to his links to Nazi Germany.
    Yeats died in France in 1939 at age 73. He was buried discreetly in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, with instruction to "dig me up in a year when everyone has forgotten, and plant me in Sligo.". His body was returned to Ireland by the Irish Navy, which by then was under the command of Sean MacBride, the son of his former nemeses/muse.

My mother used to work for the stuarts in laragh wicklow I stayed there many times as a child. Lovely people very eccentric.

• Advertisement
Advertisement