Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PIR vs. EPS

• 26-01-2019 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm getting close to point of having to decide on floor insulation for the new house. I'll have 150mm of insulation, under floor heating pipes and 75mm liquid screed on top... I was wondering which is better, PIR or EPS? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

If you are going with 150mm of insulation then you have no choice but to go PIR.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

clonagh wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm getting close to point of having to decide on floor insulation for the new house. I'll have 150mm of insulation, under floor heating pipes and 75mm liquid screed on top... I was wondering which is better, PIR or EPS? Thanks.

New House build?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

New build, with 150mm space, You have no choice, you need PIR to comply.

Suitable PIR certified for subfloor

Hi,

Im just seeing now that its a new house build, apologies.

You can't simply switch different materials.
    They are not the same.
    There's knock on effects of choosing one over the other, but with UFH you're looking at 150 PIR for the most standard situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭clonagh

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

Why have I no choice, what's the difference between the two? (Excuse my ignorance...)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

Why have I no choice, what's the difference between the two? (Excuse my ignorance...)

PIR has better insulation values than EPS, approx 30%.

Therefore in order to get the same end result, you'd have to use approx 30% thicker EPS than PIR, and that has knock on effects to your build

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Louth Build

I've a similar dilemma. Also with underfloor heating

Provisional ber specced 140mm of kooltherm giving u value of .12

When building, subfloor was left lower giving 300mm for insulation and screed.

I think 225mm of eps can only give .14

Is combining EPS with pir an issue? I think 125mm EPS with 100mm pir is about .12

Is combining EPS with pir an issue? I think 125mm EPS with 100mm pir is about .12

that couldnt possibly be economical.

figure out the u value you want to reach.... calculate what thickness of each material is required.... and price up each spec.

would 225 EPS be structurally stable under a 75 mm screed? would it crack the screed?

with 300mm to play with, you can manipulate both the material thickness and the screed thickness, and even use sand blinding to build up the levels if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

That's exactly what I'm doing combining EPS & PIR. Much more cost effective. Our screed installer has insisted on PIR on top layer as he advised ufh clips can lift from EPS.

Advertisement