Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Vodafone to o2, help

Options
  • 29-11-2004 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

It got a new phone at the weekend, bought it in tesco as i got a discount.
    Nothing wrong there, i then went to the local phone shop to get my 087 number transfered to the o2 network. I was told it would cost 10euro, fair enough i saved over 10 buying it in tesco. What i didnt realise was that that 10 was for a sim pack, she then done her bit, i got a text of vodafone and put o2 sim on new phone hour or so later i got txt that it was done and now the o2 sim has my 087 number.
    then went to register on the net and as i undrestand it i wont be getting 80 euro call cred as i registered using the sim from the sim only pack.
    would that be right or not? should i give o2 a ring and see what the story is, does anyone here know maybe??
    any suggestions much appreciated

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As far as I know you don't get free credit when you switch networks, I understood it was for first time buyers, or with a new number and handset pack...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ok it all depends on what type of new phone pack you got. If you bought the phone as a Speakeasy upgrade pack (should say on the box) then you are entitled to the e80 call credit but to get this you have to re-register your details and upgrade on the o2 website.
    If you bought a Vodafone pack for your phone and then moved to o2, you aren't entitled to any credit.
    If you bought a Speakeasy pack with a new number on it, then there was no need to buy the extra sim pack and you may have problems trying to apply the e70 call credit into your account.
    The problem with buying things in Tesco is that the staff aren't trained on what exactly to sell you. You may have saved money but you actually bought the wrong item for what you wanted to do. If you had bought it in an o2 dealer you wouldn't have encountered all this hassle. You should have bought a new number Speakeasy pack and then had your number transferred onto the sim that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It was a speakeasy phone pack, so i shouldnt have needed to buy the extra sim pack which the shop assistant (in the phone shop) should have know.
    Im gonna ring them then and see what they say. Maybe i can get my number transfered to the sim that came with the phone?
    Thanks for the replies

Jozi

You're probably best off going to a dealer because AFAIK only dealers can do sim changes. Get them to ring up o2 on your behalf and explain the situation. Unfortunately you've been the victim of an uninformed sales rep and you might be stuck and not be able to get all that credit you paid for. If you do get the credit, it will e e70 rather than e80 has you bought a new number pack. Good luck!

70 isnt to bad.
    As a last resort i could always use the sim that came with the phone, but dont really want to loose my number.

Jozi

• Advertisement

If you really wanna you could buy a meteor sim pack for e20 with 20 call credit, move onto meteor, sell the call credit then move back onto o2 using the sim pack you have spare. would take about a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're entitled to whatever call credit comes with the SIM pack. I remember the SIM packs used to be €25 and you'd get something like €20 call credit. It sounds like they've now SIM-only (no credit) packs so unfortunately you don't get anything.

Should have gotten a Speakeasy pack to begin with :)

Stark wrote:
    You're entitled to whatever call credit comes with the SIM pack. I remember the SIM packs used to be €25 and you'd get something like €20 call credit. It sounds like they've now SIM-only (no credit) packs so unfortunately you don't get anything.

Should have gotten a Speakeasy pack to begin with :)
    Not to be rude or anything but did you read all the post?
    Fair enough my first post is a bit unclear but i did actually buy a speakeasy phone pack (with sim card in it) and then went to get my number ported.
    The shop that i got to do it charged me 10 euro which was for a sim pack, so i have 2 o2 sim card the 1 that came with the phone and the 1 from the sim pack which is being used as thats the ported one.
    What i didnt understand was why i had to buy the sim pack but she said i had to so i assumed she knew better.
    Then when i went to register the phone i noticed that i prob wont be getting the cred you get when buying a phone incl sim as i used the sim from the sim only pack.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Basically, for whatever reason, O2 have decided that it's only SIM packs that can be used to port (maybe SIM packs don't come with a pre-programmed number). In this case, you bought a new Phone & SIM, where the free credit is tied to the SIM. In upgrade packs, the credit is tied to the IMEI of the new phone.
    The last time I bought a Pre-Pay phone, they came with the credit on a normal top-up card that you could give to anyone, so I'm not 100% sure.

You see, pre-pay customers aren't really a hot property for any telco. So they don't give you many incentives to switch, hence why there's no free credit for SIM packs, and why she couldn't allow you to change the number on the phone & SIM you already bought - because then you'd be entitled to free credit.

TBH, your best bet is to sell on the Phone & SIM with the credit and buy yourself and upgrade pack.

No, that's wrong. It's perfectly fine to buy a new phone with a sim pack included with a number attached to it and then port over using the included sim. In fact, that's how about half of people would do it. You would then move over and get e70 c/c. He was misinformed by the s/a so he didn't do that but that's what he should have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not to be rude or anything but did you read all the post?
    Fair enough my first post is a bit unclear but i did actually buy a speakeasy phone pack (with sim card in it) and then went to get my number ported.
    The shop that i got to do it charged me 10 euro which was for a sim pack, so i have 2 o2 sim card the 1 that came with the phone and the 1 from the sim pack which is being used as thats the ported one.
    What i didnt understand was why i had to buy the sim pack but she said i had to so i assumed she knew better.
    Then when i went to register the phone i noticed that i prob wont be getting the cred you get when buying a phone incl sim as i used the sim from the sim only pack.

Sorry, misread. Yes, you should have been able to port your number to the SIM that came with your phone and you would have been able to get your credit had you done that. Maybe if you explain the **** up to a manager in the store they might be able to help you.

I think i might just leave it get the cred and then next year start using the sim pack that came with the phone, register it with a different name etc and i guess i should get the 70 cred then.
    Anyway thanks for all the replies.
    Hope anyone who read this doesn't make the same mistake or get him/her self into the same situation.
    Cheers all

Jozi

Advertisement