Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant suggestion for shaded area

Options
  • 26-01-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I have a small patch of earth in the garden approx 60cm square that is permanently in shade and I would like to grow something there with this sort of spec (if possible)
    1. Nice colorful flowers
    2. Not invasive, ie not likely to outgrow itself into some monster (like my bayleaf tree!)
    3. Fairly robust to weather Co Kerry storms.

Would appreciate suggestions, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd suggested a Astilbe - a compact perennial flowing plant with long lasting bloom. The only potential downside is that they can grow to about 1.5 metres in a willowy fashion but as the area is shaded presumably it's also protected by something like a wall/hedge. Begonia is lower in stature, structurally robust and offers lots of vivid colour and is long lasting - I just think they look a bit hanging basket "domestic".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Berginia - look for a variety that you like rather than just the first/cheapest bog standard one - has attractive pink flowers especially in the 'off' season and is very robust. Christmas rose (Helleborus niger) will also grow happily in shade - the white ones show up better in a gloomy corner than the reddish ones. For something really small, 'wild' violets and wild/alpine strawberries will grow in shade and make nice plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Camellia.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you're looking for winter flowers, go for an helleborus niger - you can find more easily the white variety, but there are some pink ones that are just stunning; they change colour as the flower ages (from white they turn into yellowish/greenish, and from rose pink they turn into an auberginy shade).

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1366&bih=645&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=yUVMXMvSJa6ZlwTfk7PICg&q=pink+helleborus+niger&oq=pink+helleborus+niger&gs_l=img.3...37804.38591..38727...0.0..0.92.419.5......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i8i7i30.kicdz-7LLvA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

There is a fairly extensive list of possible plants for your shady spot in this linked page. I particularly like the Acanthus mollis, the Alchemilla mollis and the Pulmonaria. There are also the options of Vinca major, Bergenia, Perscaria and Ajuga. I have also found Mahonia seems to do OK in shade but the size it grows to depends on the variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, much appreciated! I didn't realise there was such a choice. Some interesting research ahead to find whats going to finally fill the bare patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Late to the party. Personally I would go for a sarrcoccoa confusa. It’s is hardy, not too , will take deep shade and has lovely highly scented flowers in winter and nice berries after.

Advertisement