Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace redundant immersion switch with a normal socket

Options
  • 26-01-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

We had a combi boiler fitted last year, as a result the hot water cylinder was removed from the hotpress which is now a storage cupboard. On the wall inside is the switch which was the immersion heater switch.
    As this is now not needed could I replace this switch with a regular plug socket? It will be used to power a dyson cord free vac docking station and only that. There is still power to the switch. If it’s simple and risk free to do then I could tackle it myself. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You would not be permitted to install a socket in the hotpress, but it may be possible to redirect the cable so that it could power a socket in a suitable room outside the hotpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

2011 wrote: »
    You would not be permitted to install a socket in the hotpress, but it may be possible to redirect the cable so that it could power a socket in a suitable room outside the hotpress.

Thanks. Plenty of sockets in the room outside, it’s a small bedroom, but didn’t want to hang a vacuum docking station there. What is the safety reason for forbidding what we are asking? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ak84

New build houses that I am working on have a socket in the hotpress for a pump.
    So I wonder is this breaking the regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

gebbel wrote: »
    Thanks. Plenty of sockets in the room outside, it’s a small bedroom, but didn’t want to hang a vacuum docking station there. What is the safety reason for forbidding what we are asking? Ta

There is no good reason, but electric code in Ireland can be a bit weird at times. Like not socket in the bathroom, so you end up with your washing machine in the kitchen instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

2011 wrote: »

If the tank is gone it’s no longer a hot press I would think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What is the safety reason for forbidding what we are asking? Ta

My guess:
    A hotpress has a high ambient temperature by its nature. So the risk of electrical devices overheating is increased. Add this to the possibility that any appliance may be covered in clothing and the potential for a fire increases further. Also I would imagine that plenty of people would plug something in there and close the door on the lead.

Basically the only electrical wiring permitted in a hot press should be related to the heating or plumbing system. Distribution boards, intruder alarm panels etc. are not permitted to be installed in there. Even wiring should not pass through or enter the hot press (except that for the heating or plumbing system).

salmocab wrote: »

Interesting, I had not thought of that.
    You may be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is no good reason, but electric code in Ireland can be a bit weird at times. Like not socket in the bathroom, so you end up with your washing machine in the kitchen instead...

There is a good reason. The hint is in the name "hot press". It can overheat when in use. Many immersion timers will say in the instructions "not to be installed in the hot press". They can over heat and the heat shortens its lifespan of the timer. It also voids the warranty. The typical hot press also tends to be crammed with clothes. Clothing covering a timer, electric shower isolation switch etc can cause a fire

salmocab wrote: »

Correct, I put a few shelves in there for storage. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Correct, I put a few shelves in there for storage. That’s all.

Remember something like a coat hanging over a socket can be a fire hazard, especially if you have something like a charger plugged in. Chargers heat up at the best of times. I saw a bedroom go on fire because the bed was pushed up to the socket with a phone charger plugged in

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Remember something like a coat hanging over a socket can be a fire hazard, especially if you have something like a charger plugged in. Chargers heat up at the best of times. I saw a bedroom go on fire because the bed was pushed up to the socket with a phone charger plugged in

OK interesting, thanks.

It is also good to avoid some of the cheap and nasty Chinese chargers. Ideally look for units with the CE mark. You may be able to install a socket in location that makes it unlikely to be covered by anything.

Advertisement