Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to add more sockets / outlets to a room

Options
  • 26-01-2019 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I only have one socket in my bedroom. In other houses I've lived in the bedrooms have always had 2 double sockets.

So my question is this, can I get an electrician to change my single socket to a double socket and could I also have a second double socket installed as well? (so 2x double sockets).

Is this going to require a rewiring? I've heard rewiring can cost thousands.
    Or can the new sockets be "branched off from the one existing outlet"?

any idea of cost for such a job?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Testingio wrote: »
    Hi,
    I only have one socket in my bedroom. In other houses I've lived in the bedrooms have always had 2 double sockets.

So my question is this, can I get an electrician to change my single socket to a double socket and could I also have a second double socket installed as well? (so 2x double sockets).

Thanks.

I'm considering this myself. Excouncil house 1 socket per room in a solid block house.
    I'm not an electrician so don't take my advice as approved standard.
    I am told yes you can and to wire a socket off another is called a spur there is a limit to how much you can draw off one loop though if your planning on using several of them for high draw ie the kitchen you need to be careful or you'll overheat the fuse board. For so many a new line with its own breaker on the circuit board. Can't remember if it was 40 or 60amps limit.
    I think a kettle takes the max a domestic appliance needs 13a so if my understanding is correct 3 or 4 kettles is the limit.
    I'm planning to cut chases into solid brick walls and run conduit for an electrician then a separate chase for cat5 cable and drawstring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Generally pretty easy and relatively inexpensive to add a few extra socket s, get an electrician to look at it . Not a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

I think it depends on the wiring. Ring or radial and only one spur is allowed to branch of.

Obviously you want a better look than an extension cable.

Is it possible to run a cable down from the ceiling?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Testingio wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes you can. Sounds like a minor enough job tbh.
    It won't require a rewire once the your current installation is up to scratch.
    Thanks.
    I'd guess 100-175

Advertisement