Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MasterCard over limit but ATM still obliged?

Options
  • 26-01-2019 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering is there a small courtesy amount by which MasterCard limit can be exceeded when withdrawing cash from an ATM

I ask because I seem to have managed the above without realising it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi,

Just wondering is there a small courtesy amount by which MasterCard limit can be exceeded when withdrawing cash from an ATM

I ask because I seem to have managed the above without realising it

Hi bessboroughboy,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

When using a credit or debit card some transactions can still go through when there is insufficient funds or credit available. To avoid this we do recommend checking your available credit, on Card Care or 365 Online, before using the card.

Thanks again,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

Hi bessboroughboy,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

When using a credit or debit card some transactions can still go through when there is insufficient funds or credit available. To avoid this we do recommend checking your available credit, on Card Care or 365 Online, before using the card.

Thanks again,
    Tara

Thanks Tara,

However, I can confirm that, according to my online balance, there were no funds available prior to my successful ATM withdrawals (which totalled €200)

My take on the situation is that there was some leniency applied due to the fact that the amount by which my limit was already exceeded was comprised of an interest addition only and not purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

How much were you charged 

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

hillbloom wrote: »
    How much were you charged 

I was only charged the usual cash advance fee but I'm very curious as to what algorithms are applied which would allow me to withdraw €200 above and beyond the combined total of my actual credit limit plus a recent interest amount.

Definitely not a timing issue, the limit was exceeded and the balance was correct prior to the cash withdrawal.

It was about €70 over the limit when the withdrawal was made on the 7th just before another interest addition (usually applied on the 10th)

Advertisement