Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A permaban that they wanted

Options
  • 26-01-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

The usual pleasantries aside, permabanned for discussing the "Republic of Ireland" in context of a Brexit thread in politics for ignoring "moderator instructions" - appealing severity of the ban; subjective nature of the ban; moderator bias, etc etc etc etc.
    Mod note:

If people really want to debate the name of the State, open a new thread if there is enough substantive material to do so.

The topic of this thread is Brexit
    I fail to see how this thread is about anything other than the relevance of Ireland in the context of Brexit, but if the "Republic of Ireland" wishes to continue to be a State without a hard border on this island then I guess we should capitulate to our British masters.

I fully accept that the use of quotes was incorrect, I understand that it could have been seen as "back chat" or something by the mod. EDIT: To clarify as I did with the mod, this was not the intention. Ireland (island) / RoI (soccer team and accepted vernacular as per moderator actions being one of the two nations on the island).

It is, however, not contrary to their warning and I suggest not deserving of a permanent ban from the forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Granted permission to post PMs
    Sorry, but you misinterpret my use of the word "appeal" - I am "appeal[ing]" to you to reconsider the permanent ban for, as you state, using the name "Republic of Ireland" (which evidently you do not deem to be trolling in other uses despite pointing out that it is incorrect usage and, in fact, condescending).

You were not banned for using the name "Republic of Ireland". You were banned because you were dragging the thread off topic into a discussion of whether such a phrase was offensive etc. You were warned not to drag the thread off topic any further.
    I fail to see how discussing Ireland / the Republic of Ireland - whatever you deem it (correctly or incorrectly) to call it - is not relevant to a brexit discussion on an Irish forum.

Brexit will not change the name of the State. What people call the State will not change Brexit.
    I fail to see how the warrants a permanent ban; I did not ignore a mod instruction by simply using the now accepted name of the State as sanctioned by yourself. If you feel I do so, I apologise but certainly it was not my intention to ignore your instruction - I have a fair record of accepting instruction and moving on.

In itself it doesnt, but you have been banned four times before and had 13 warnings/infractions, so the ban is an escalation because you simply will not comply with the rules of the forum.

As regards "the now accepted name of the State as sanctioned by yourself", no where did I sanction a particular name and if you want to argue that in DRP make sure that you clearly state that I did not at any stage decide what to call the State. I said that discussion of what to call it was off topic, so please use the precise terms that were used when appealling. If you had complied with the mod warning to not go off topic, then you would not have been sanctioned. But you did, and you were.
    I would certainly appeal that this is not warranted of a permanent ban and if you were to agree to de-escalate same I will endeavour to ensure that I do not transgress again.

Unfortunately not. You reported the mod note indicating that you understood the warning, and seemed to be implying that there was nothing that the mods could do to enforce it. Well unfortunately for you, the only way we have of enforcing the rules is to impose a ban or other sanction.

I don't propose to change my mind on this, so you may now go to DRP.

Point of order as you only gave permission to post first PM in DRP; assuming permission to post remainder?

Yes

Unfortunately not. You reported the mod note indicating that you understood the warning, and seemed to be implying that there was nothing that the mods could do to enforce it. Well unfortunately for you, the only way we have of enforcing the rules is to impose a ban or other sanction.

I don't propose to change my mind on this, so you may now go to DRP.
    That was certainly not my intended meaning to the reported post. It's unfortunate that you will not de-escalate and are relying on historic cards/bans.

See you around!

Inadvertently forgot to post the first PM exchange
    Dear FreudianSlippers,

You have been permanently banned from Politics for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

johnnyskeleton

Your post:
    I fail to see how this thread is about anything other than the relevance of Ireland in the context of Brexit, but if the "Republic of Ireland" wishes to continue to be a State without a hard border on this island then I guess we should capitulate to our British masters.

Glad to see you were waiting for that one. I'll go ahead and appeal the permanent ban from politics for asking a question.

Ok,

Well when you go to feedback they will ask you if you engaged with us about the ban. Since you have already decided to appeal I'm not sure that you are engaging with same, but I will address your suggestion that you were merely asking a question.

The mod warning was very clear that discussing the name of the state was way off topic on brexit. You then reported this post suggesting that the warning was pointless because the mods couldn't do anything about it. Then you deliberately went back to the whole "Republic of Ireland" issue to deliberately go out of your way to ignore the mod instruction.

You may quote the above as my response when PM'd
    Sorry, but you misinterpret my use of the word "appeal" - I am "appeal[ing]" to you to reconsider the permanent ban for, as you state, using the name "Republic of Ireland" (which evidently you do not deem to be trolling in other uses despite pointing out that it is incorrect usage and, in fact, condescending).

I fail to see how discussing Ireland / the Republic of Ireland - whatever you deem it (correctly or incorrectly) to call it - is not relevant to a brexit discussion on an Irish forum.

I fail to see how the warrants a permanent ban; I did not ignore a mod instruction by simply using the now accepted name of the State as sanctioned by yourself. If you feel I do so, I apologise but certainly it was not my intention to ignore your instruction - I have a fair record of accepting instruction and moving on.

I would certainly appeal that this is not warranted of a permanent ban and if you were to agree to de-escalate same I will endeavour to ensure that I do not transgress again.

I would also point out that all my warnings/infractions are "expired" as well.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will bring this forward to the relevant CMods.

Thanks for the prompt reply and confirmation.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

FreudianSlippers, sorry for the delay. I will try look in to this over the weekend for you.

• Advertisement

Just checking to see if you were able to look into this or whether the Politics mods have reconsidered and we can just sort this out without DRP?

FreudianSlippers,

I have only been accessing the site through the touch site which makes nodding difficult. I hope to log on through laptop tomorrow evening to look into this. If you would like to try engage with the banning mod prior to that and see can an agreement be reached and let me know.

Otherwise I'll endeavour to look into it tomorrow. Sorry again for the delay.

Thanks and understood. To save you some time, I've reached out to the banning mod again to reconsider the ban, or at least the length of the ban.

I can accept with 10 days between the post in question and now, how my post could have been perceived to be against the spirit and/or intent of the moderator instruction on-thread; this is despite my intention at the time of posting. Despite this, I will however still be appealing the ban and/or permanence of the ban for a relatively minor infraction if the banning moderator refuses to engage again, so I'll let you know once they respond. However, in the meantime, don't go out of your way to look into this.

FreudianSlippers,

After discussion with the Politics Mods it has been agreed that your ban will be reduced from permanent to 3 months. We would expect you to take these 3 months to reconsider your posting style. You know the rules, you know what gets you in trouble, so steer clear. The moderators in politics are very clear, as am I, that this is to be your final final chance in politics. If you come to the attention of the moderators again, even for a yellow card offence, your ban will be reapplied and will be permanent. You have become somewhat of a timesink for the moderators in the Politics forum and when a poster becomes that troublesome it is better for the forum, for other posters and for the moderators to just remove the poster.

Think about your posting style. Think about what you say and how you say it, because like it or not, due to your history you will be on the radar and you will no longer be given the leeway that can sometimes be given to posters.

If you are happy with this outcome we can mark the thread resolved and I will reduce your ban to 3 months.
    If you require admin review, let me know.

FreudianSlippers,

After discussion with the Politics Mods it has been agreed that your ban will be reduced from permanent to 3 months. We would expect you to take these 3 months to reconsider your posting style. You know the rules, you know what gets you in trouble, so steer clear. The moderators in politics are very clear, as am I, that this is to be your final final chance in politics. If you come to the attention of the moderators again, even for a yellow card offence, your ban will be reapplied and will be permanent. You have become somewhat of a timesink for the moderators in the Politics forum and when a poster becomes that troublesome it is better for the forum, for other posters and for the moderators to just remove the poster.

Think about your posting style. Think about what you say and how you say it, because like it or not, due to your history you will be on the radar and you will no longer be given the leeway that can sometimes be given to posters.

If you are happy with this outcome we can mark the thread resolved and I will reduce your ban to 3 months.
    If you require admin review, let me know.
    Thanks for your time and review. As I said, I had hoped the subjectivity of the post would have been considered in the harshness of the ban. I believe it has been and I'm therefore happy with the reduction from permanent to 3 months, thanks.

I would ask that we implement some kind of expiry is placed on previous bans being considered in the future - I think it's extremely harsh to, say in a year or two, permanently ban me for a "yellow card post"? There has to be some kind of expiry on ban escalation and this is certainly a matter which I believe should be considered by the mods/cmods and/or admins.

• Advertisement

I think if over time you can keep your nose clean and become a valued contributor to the forum that the mods are very likely to use their discretion, and give that leeway that I mentioned above. If however you keep out of trouble for a year or two to let your cards and record fade into the background, and then start becoming a regular problem in the forum again, then I think the forum moderators would have little choice but to apply the permaban.

Unfortunately that hasn't been the experience to date despite my net positive contribution to the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement