Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qs re Public Service Mobility program- But still on probation? - hear me out

Options
  • 26-01-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have recently been appointed to a permanent public service role (below AP) which, without boring you with the gory details, is very much not working out (bullying and/or personality clash issues unfortunately :(). I would therefore be open to the possibility of transferring to another role/department under the DPER's Mobility programme.

Now, despite my permanent appointment, I am still on probation (and will be for another 8 months or so). That said, I am in my 5th year in the civil service overall when all previous temporary contracts are taken together.

1st q:Is it possible to express interest in the programme while still on probation?

And 2nd, even if I technically should be off probation, would any allowance be made for my previous service (as it is for example in internal promotion competitions)?

Any input appreciated folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1st question: Yes, if you are a CO or EO.
    2nd question: No (or, not in a way of use to you).

Probation isn't a factor in the Mobility Scheme, although satisfactory performance is - through PMDS.

Whether you can apply for Mobility depends on your grade - the scheme is only open for COs and EOs currently. It is also not open for applications within Co. Dublin (that is, if you currently work in Dublin, you cannot apply to work in a different Department / organisation in Dublin). You also mention that your current role is in the Public Service - if you're not in the Civil Service, you can't apply at all.

However, while people can apply at any time, they would not be eligible to receive an offer until they've been in Grade, Org, & Location for a minimum of 2 years. Length of service is only a factor in Mobility within the same grade, and where applicants have applied for the same list on the same day. So, while you could apply is you're a CO or EO, you will be waiting a minimum of 16 months (assuming you are the top of a list at that stage).

There's plenty of information on the scheme available on the d/PER info page, https://hr.per.gov.ie/civil-service-mobility/.

Have you considered going about this another way? For example, if you are a CO or EO and your organisation has other offices in the mobility Zone, you can request to be transferred to one of those offices through your HR department.

If you're an AO or HEO, you can use that route while also trying to apply for transfer to other civil service organisations directly - as these grades are not yet governed by the mobility rules. A list of email addresses for various HR departments is linked to on the d/PER site, linked above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You can apply and will be inilligible for a period of time. Usually 2 years in your current department.
    You will be placed and then at that spot when eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

Thanks a mill

Advertisement