Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit Bushes and Compost Bin Questions

Options
  • 26-01-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello all,

Two questions for you wise individuals.

I have a long but narrow garden approx 60ft and I'm thinking of having some fruit bushes down the back. Rasberries, red currant and strawberries, that kind of thing. Is it possible to buy juvenile bushes and plant them in or should I start from seed? If it is the former where would I pick these up? I'd love to be picking fruit this year if possible.

Also I want to have a compost bin to get rid of my green and brown rubbish where possible. In my mind this question is pretty dumb but do worms just find it through their wormy senses or do I need to buy worms and introduce them?
    If you can't tell, I'm new at gardening.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shrub fruit generally grows on it's own rootstock, so you can plant from seed, but it'll take longer. I just buy juvenile plants.

Tree fruit is often grafted to control the size.

You may have to wait a couple of years for the plant to bed in before you get fruit, and be prepared for birds and squirrels to rob you, their capacity for theft is boundless. Netting is usually necessary.

fruitandnut.ie is a good place to start research, and there are some good UK sites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regarding composting, if you have space consider a triple bay composter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tjc28 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Two questions for you wise individuals.

I have a long but narrow garden approx 60ft and I'm thinking of having some fruit bushes down the back. Rasberries, red currant and strawberries, that kind of thing. Is it possible to buy juvenile bushes and plant them in or should I start from seed? If it is the former where would I pick these up? I'd love to be picking fruit this year if possible.

Also I want to have a compost bin to get rid of my green and brown rubbish where possible. In my mind this question is pretty dumb but do worms just find it through their wormy senses or do I need to buy worms and introduce them?
    If you can't tell, I'm new at gardening.
    Thanks in advance.

Lidl is great for all the fruit bushes but not at this time of year, it'll probably be nearer the summer before they stock them. They sell very healthy plants that would be maybe a couple of years old for around the 5 euro mark.

Any independent garden center would sell them too and give you great advice and answer any questions you have.

The waste in the compost bin will attract the worms and various other wriggly insecty things that are needed to break it down, if you are going to add extra worms wait until the waste is actually breaking down before adding them or they will go somewhere else more suitable. Any good fishing tackle shop will sell you tubs of worms for about 2-3 euro for 20 and they won't be long multiplying in the right conditions.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in general, unless you have *very* odd conditions in your garden, worms and compost bins tend to follow the 'field of dreams' rule - if you build it, they will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The worms that are most active in compost are the Brandling worms, reddish and like to be above-ground.
    Yes, if you supply the conditions, they will appear...they're the same ones that collect under flower-pots and piles of leaves.
    Also, whenever you are working in the garden, if you come across an odd worm or centipede, drop them in.
    Compost works faster if it is mixed (green-brown as you say) and aerated so be prepared to toss it over once in a while.

Raspberries are planted as canes, usually in late summer or autumn: so if you plant some this spring they may not fruit this year.
    But you might be lucky. And thereafter they are very easy to maintain.
    I grow loads and I don't lose too many to birds at all.
    Strawberries need minding every year but they are such a summer treat! Usually best to get these, too, as baby plants from a hardware shop or nursery, though they can be grown from seed.

Blackberries and loganberries can be grown ON a wall or fence, which saves space. (But they are prickly)

Apple and pear trees will fruit reliably in Ireland though you need to give a thought to pollination.
    Plums are easiest of all but they can sucker.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

thanks for all the replies folks. Not sure about planting trees at this stage but I love my berries. I'll start hitting up the hardware shops and garden centres

Not sure where you are in the country but if near Wexford, I use these regularly and have always found their plants and advice to be very good.
    https://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/
    Ive no connection to them just a very satisfied customer.

Be mindful of where youre going to plant raspberries as they WILL take over!!

We've strawberries, raspberries, tayberries, blackberries (a cultivated thornless variety) blueberries, honeyberries, black and red currants and gooseberries. When you put the effort in it's extremely rewarding.

If near Wexford, I could give you some currant bushes (well established but no longer needed) some raspberry canes and blackberries. I also have plenty of strawberry runners you could have.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Not sure where you are in the country but if near Wexford, I use these regularly and have always found their plants and advice to be very good.
    https://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/
    Ive no connection to them just a very satisfied customer.

Be mindful of where youre going to plant raspberries as they WILL take over!!

We've strawberries, raspberries, tayberries, blackberries (a cultivated thornless variety) blueberries, honeyberries, black and red currants and gooseberries. When you put the effort in it's extremely rewarding.

If near Wexford, I could give you some currant bushes (well established but no longer needed) some raspberry canes and blackberries. I also have plenty of strawberry runners you could have.

thanks for the very kind offer but I'm not near Wexford. Really appreciate the advise though.

and thanks to all the other posters too!

Advertisement