Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't turn on (help)

Options
  • 26-01-2019 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently got new PC parts and installed them I went to turn it on and it wouldn't work no lights no beeps and no fans spinning i dont know if it's my power supply or what but I need help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

I recently got new PC parts and installed them I went to turn it on and it wouldn't work no lights no beeps and no fans spinning i dont know if it's my power supply or what but I need help please!

A few possibilities but check the plug in something else first. Does it work.

Take out the power supply and plug the working plug into it. Does it's fan spin ? If it does, possible the power supply is ok.

Check it out like that. Put the power supply back in and keep adding a part and see if the next in sequence comes to life. Sometimes one part may be faulty and pulling down the voltage. It is a matter of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tim o connor

Damien360 wrote: »
    A few possibilities but check the plug in something else first. Does it work.

Take out the power supply and plug the working plug into it. Does it's fan spin ? If it does, possible the power supply is ok.

Check it out like that. Put the power supply back in and keep adding a part and see if the next in sequence comes to life. Sometimes one part may be faulty and pulling down the voltage. It is a matter of elimination.

The power supply fan isn't spinning when new motherboard is installed but it does spin when the old motherboard is in its very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 54,181 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The power supply fan isn't spinning when new motherboard is installed but it does spin when the old motherboard is in its very strange

That would point to something on the new motherboard then.

Have a look at this, maybe it might point you in the right direction

https://www.pcgamer.com/5-reasons-your-new-pc-wont-boot/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

have you double checked your cables on motherboard, ensuring everything is clicked into place using the correct cables?

the power switch cable in particular is a tiny cable that you might have put in the wrong slot or wrong way around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6q4h-lNHrU (old video of the cable/s I mean so you get idea what I mean)

the PSU might not spin anyway until enough load is being pushed through it, a lot of PSU's these days are silent(no fan spinning) until at a certain draw level

BArra wrote: »
    have you double checked your cables on motherboard, ensuring everything is clicked into place using the correct cables?

the power switch cable in particular is a tiny cable that you might have put in the wrong slot or wrong way around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6q4h-lNHrU (old video of the cable/s I mean so you get idea what I mean)

the PSU might not spin anyway until enough load is being pushed through it, a lot of PSU's these days are silent(no fan spinning) until at a certain draw level

The corner of the motherboard is touching the case I think it's the motherboard that's shorted

• Advertisement

Did you not use stand off's?

Did you not use stand off's?

Yes I did but the motherboard is a big too big so one bottom corner was touching case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes I did but the motherboard is a big too big so one bottom corner was touching case

You are not getting around this without a bigger case or at a push, taller standoffs.

Ok so I just put all the old parts in again and 2 LEDs come on as usual and I do have everything placed in correctly but it won't start same as the new motherboard could this be a the button? I was told the new motherboard doesn't have those little LEDs so maybe it's not the new motherboards fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

you need to rule out things,

can you assemble it outside of the case to rule out that its shorting inside your case, the motherboard must have a pinout for the power button, it needs to be in the correct one at right orientation

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    you need to rule out things,

can you assemble it outside of the case to rule out that its shorting inside your case, the motherboard must have a pinout for the power button, it needs to be in the correct one at right orientation

I have assembled outside case still does the same thing power sw is in the right place

Advertisement