Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming mouse and keyboard

Options
  • 26-01-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into buying a new mouse and keyboard, both I have are just cheap ones off amazon.

I want a mechanical keyboard that don't make too much noise and a weighted smooth low latency mouse. I'd like the option of rgb or even just red led on black to go with the rest of my build but willing to sacrifice that if the savings are considerable.

Anything you guys recommend? Best value for performance is what I'm after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

mechanicals cost quite a bit to be honest, £100-160 of the queens pounds, the cheaper mechanicals I can't help with

Logitech G513 (linear or tactical, beware of slight ping noise on depress of key, otherwise quieter than most cherry mx keys)
    Logitech G413 (less features than above, mainly RGB afaik but it has red LEDs as you requested)
    HyperX HX-KB1RD1 (Cherry MX Red)
    Corsair K70 (Lux, or Speed Switches)

Thats a couple to wet your whistle, you want a cherry mx red, brown(quieter), or Logitech G Romer tactile or linear (but beware of slight ping noise on the depress of key which you may or may not be effected by)

Logitech G703 mouse is highly rated, I use the G903 myself but its pricy enough unless you can nab it on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Im hoping not to spend more then 100e each.

In terms of keyboards, how does this look?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Mechanical-Switches-Backlighting-Ten-Keyless/dp/B06XQ5G9ZZ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1548539647&sr=8-15&keywords=mechanical+keyboard

I do like the look of the logitech G703 and might go for that, or I heard the SteelSeries Rival 600 is a very good mouse for the price? I have no idea what makes a good mouse tbh, only that my cheap one does give me a disadvantage in games as I find i sometimes click when I don't mean to with a light touch or I move too much as its too light.

reviews look good on that keyboard and as always, the amazon return policy cant be beat

check out some youtube reviews of them, you will learn a lot about them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Instead of the G703 (built-in rechargeable battery) consider the G603, or even the smaller, lighter G305 - the new HERO sensor has insane battery life!

My G305 has been running on the same, single AA Lithium since October 2018.

Also, the low weight of the G305 isn't a hindrance, it's an advantage. I suspect your cheapo mouse is either badly balanced, or simply has a poor sensor (or both).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you want to save on the keyboard and splurge on the mouse, Curry's have a sort of own-brand mechanical keyboard which is surprisingly good for the price. It's called an ADX Firefight, think I paid €65 for mine, more out of curiosity, but it's been about 18 months and still working away grand and very happy with it, and it does gets a tonne of use. And even if there was an issue you can walk straight back in without any hassle.

When I bought it they had just one model (red lighting) but now they have a newer model as well as one with RGB, they're all close in price. They're all Kailh red switches I think. I'll probably sell this one and pick up the RGB one, the upgrade cost will be pretty small. I know you can get Chinese mechanical keyboards for that price from Amazon that would be similar, but I was surprised to find it at such an affordable price in a retail store.

• Advertisement

Also forgot:

RJN is one of the premiere mouse reviewers around, definitely check him out:
    http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/find-a-mouse/

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/mice-and-keyboards/mice/logitech-g502-proteus-spectrum-optical-gaming-mouse-10143454-pdt.html

Got this a few weeks ago to to replace my R.A.T. 5 that died after 5 years of use. Very happy with it. Very good price as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah the wired G502 is very popular with gamers and then the G903 for wireless

_DMac_ wrote: »
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/mice-and-keyboards/mice/logitech-g502-proteus-spectrum-optical-gaming-mouse-10143454-pdt.html

Got this a few weeks ago to to replace my R.A.T. 5 that died after 5 years of use. Very happy with it. Very good price as well
    Skerries wrote: »
    yeah the wired G502 is very popular with gamers and then the G903 for wireless

http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/logitech-g502-review/
    This is a mouse with great features, but it’s just a bit too awkward, heavy and clunky for First Person Shooters in my opinion. That said, I know people who play well with it and I can sniper well with it. It’s only when I have to flick the mouse around a lot that the shape and weight becomes a problem. The infinite scroll wheel is amazing though, great for general use. It’s still extremely popular, and rightfully so, it’s a great mouse, but it’s not a top recommendation for FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have a G402 - which is pretty much the same size as the G502 and a small bit lighter. I actually prefer it for FPS than a small light one because I can rest my full hand on it rather than finger gripping a tiny one. I also use the additional buttons for reloading, switching weapons, etc.

So I think there's a lot of personal preference involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah I have the G402 as well, really like it.

The G402 is actually what I went for! Along with the Corsair K63 keyboard I mentioned earlier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The fact that’s it’s heavy played a big part in buying it and I have to say it’s been excellent since getting it and all I play are FPS games pubg, r6s, bf4 etc

_DMac_ wrote: »
    The fact that’s it’s heavy played a big part in buying it and I have to say it’s been excellent since getting it and all I play are FPS games pubg, r6s, bf4 etc

I went (crappy mouse) -> G402 -> G403 wireless -> G305 & think I can safely stop there :)

Unless I can buy a FinalMouse mouse - that 58g Ninja :eek:

Recently started using the new Corsair Harpoon Wireless. Really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I’m a huge Logitech mouse fan but the roccat kone is a fantastic feeling mouse and very solidly built. Tried it recently in my workplace and it reminds me a bit of the mx518 but more of a neutral shape. I currently have the g903 and power play mat but the grip on the g903 is nonexistent and it’s light as well. The kone on the other hand feels like I could club someone with it and continue playing on with it after I finish with them.

Received both items about an hour ago.

G402 is nice and light, very responsive and glides so smoothly on the new mouse mat I also got.

K63, they clicks are still a bit loud for my liking but with time I'll probably get used to it. Its a nice size, very bright LEDs and feels very responsive to type on.

Lovely stuff, I'm used to the G513 Linear Logitech, the slight ping on depress does not bother me anymore and it's quiet compared to most mx switches

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BArra wrote: »
    Lovely stuff, I'm used to the G513 Linear Logitech, the slight ping on depress does not bother me anymore and it's quiet compared to most mx switches

The Corsair strafe uses bear silent mechanical keys. Fantastic keyboard and I can game with no issues.

decided to return the g513 linear, played an hour of anthem and the slightest pressure on surrounding keys activated a key, I'm gonna give the tactile version a shot to see does it fix that for me

I like the looks of the borderless design of the g513, ill have to give a corsair a try if this one does not work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

BArra wrote: »
    decided to return the g513 linear, played an hour of anthem and the slightest pressure on surrounding keys activated a key, I'm gonna give the tactile version a shot to see does it fix that for me

I like the looks of the borderless design of the g513, ill have to give a corsair a try if this one does not work out

It will likely be the same. The actuation distance on the Logitech roamer g switch is only 1.5 mm. Compared to Cherry MX which is 2.5??

You might be pressing the key without realising it.

well the tactile should give feedback to my finger/s so I should know when its engaging or not from the 'tactile bump'

will see any who and cross my fingers, amazon dispatch these keyboards from Italy and Spain, takes a week min even with prime as they ship standard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

For anyone who's a Prime member, some decent prices on mice (ends tonight):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=logitech+mouse&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

MOH wrote: »
    For anyone who's a Prime member, some decent prices on mice (ends tonight):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=logitech+mouse&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Genuinly curious about the G305 lightspeed

jebidiah wrote: »

Great mouse. Have one as my backup. On the small size in case that bothers you.

jebidiah wrote: »

Put a AA Lithium battery in it & you'd swear it's not even in your hand, plus it will last 4-6 months.
    However the mouse feet aren't as good as Steelseries' - I've since switched to a Rival 310.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Put a AA Lithium battery in it & you'd swear it's not even in your hand, plus it will last 4-6 months.
    However the mouse feet aren't as good as Steelseries' - I've since switched to a Rival 310.

Or a single AAA with converter. Even lighter still.

Currently using an EC2-A which I love, not sure where that g305 fits in terms of size. Seems bit smalle than the zowie.

Advertisement