Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable electrical wiring

Options
  • 26-01-2019 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

http://imgur.com/WXsDPC8

Could people please express their opinions on wiring done on my house by a builder.

It doesnt look right to me. Exposed cable in a hot press. Surely not acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Looks like he was going to box them in with wood or plasterboard but hasn't done so. Was this a new build or renovation.
    You can see the wooden battens fixed to the wall on either side for boxing in the wires so it looks like the box was removed at some stage or else the builder started to box off the wires and didn't finish the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hasn't bonded all of the pipework down the RHS either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

Looks like he was going to box them in with wood or plasterboard but hasn't done so. Was this a new build or renovation.
    You can see the wooden battens fixed to the wall on either side for boxing in the wires so it looks like the box was removed at some stage or else the builder started to box off the wires and didn't finish the job.

Its was a new build, 10 year old now, always annoyed me but out of sight out of mind and just fed up looking at it now.
    True it looks like incomplete frame work. Is that a problem? Surely live feed through a hot press isnt appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

Hasn't bonded all of the pipework down the RHS either.

Could it be bonded somewhere else? But surely bonding should be done so its visible?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Could it be bonded somewhere else? But surely bonding should be done so its visible?

Doubt it. Straps are there, don't know why you'd land them there if you weren't going to bond them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Its was a new build, 10 year old now, always annoyed me but out of sight out of mind and just fed up looking at it now. True it looks like incomplete frame work. Is that a problem? Surely live feed through a hot press isnt appropriate?

I don't think it's a major problem though you may be loosing some heat up to the attic.
    It may actually be handy if you ever need to pull cable to/from the attic.

For the most part It's just laziness or lake of care on the part of the builder and his tradesmen.
    What is the most annoying thing is that they started to do the right thing and just didn't bother. Awkward job to finish now that the tank and all pipework has the corner obstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

http://imgur.com/WXsDPC8

Could people please express their opinions on wiring done on my house by a builder.

It doesnt look right to me. Exposed cable in a hot press. Surely not acceptable?
    the pipes should also be insulated for 1 meter from the cylinder to comply with the building regs part L

1.4.4.4 The hot pipes connected to hot water
    storage vessels, including the vent pipe and the
    primary flow and return to the heat exchanger,
    where fitted, should be insulated, to the standard
    outlined in Paragraph 1.4.4.3 above, for at least one
    metre from their point of connection.

Advertisement