Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Ideas

Options
  • 26-01-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong place feel free to move.

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on protecting some product ideas I have in advance of a meeting with local enterprise office....there may be possibility of an innovation grant but obviously you have to give details your idea/s so I'm wondering would it be wise to establish proof that I had the idea first ...in case I see it a couple of years down the line or would I have no comeback anyway and I have to take the risk

Maybe I'm paranoid and perhaps the idea/s isn't marketable in any event however I'd like not to be a mug if there are some simple steps you should take to protect the idea etc.........

I'm not talking about getting a patent etc but just simple steps an experienced person would take if there are any to protect themselves...like the way some writers used to mail copies of their manuscript to themselves as proof it was their original work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

What you need is a confidentiality agreement, they have other names such as non-disclosure agreement (NDA) or secrecy agreement.

There are certain conversations that can be reasonably assumed to be confidential and where the other party may be reluctant to sign an NDA. These include your solicitor, your accountant, doctor etc. State bodies that deal with industry are subject to secrecy by law and therefore are not, and generally will not, sign confidentiality agreements. I would expect LEO's fall into into this category but always best to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

From a previous thread.
    tricky D wrote: »
    It seems anti-intuitive but stop thinking about protecting your idea.

The likelihood that your idea is an original, groundbreaking and a world beater is about zero. People are very unlikely to steal it. The trick is in the execution ie. doing it better, faster, cheaper.

What you need is for people in the know to kick the hell out of the tyres of your plan. iCabbi did exactly that here and got feedback worth gold and have recently moved offices years later so look to be up and running along very nicely. Thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68173835

Advertisement