Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6n 2019 Ireland v England Build Up Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I was rather hoping we'd see a Te'o/Tuilagi midfield. Heavy on the bosh but not creative in the slightest. I'll be worried if they decide to pick Ford at 10 and move Farrell to inside centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Any guesses at an England 15? Anyone know if Elliot Daly is likely to start? Always thought he was a class player, think he'll be a very good signing for Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Unfortunate that Teo is out, he's a liability at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

aloooof wrote: »
    Any guesses at an England 15? Anyone know if Elliot Daly is likely to start? Always thought he was a class player, think he'll be a very good signing for Saracens.
    Would be great for us if he brings his Wasps form. He's been playing like a drain all season.

aloooof wrote: »

England have retained 25 players. The ten players to drop out are: Dan Cole, Ben Earl, Ben Moon, Brad Shields, Jack Singleton, Joe Cokanasiga, Ollie Devoto, Jonathan Joseph, Ben T’eo and Ollie Thorley.

Wouldn't be too hard to figure out the English 23

Forwards
    Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
    Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
    Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
    Jamie George (Saracens)
    Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
    Maro Itoje (Saracens)
    George Kruis (Saracens)
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
    Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
    Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
    Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
    Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

Backs
    Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks)
    Mike Brown (Harlequins)
    Elliot Daly (Wasps)
    Owen Farrell (Saracens) captain
    George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
    Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
    Dan Robson (Wasps)
    Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
    Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

• Advertisement

Stab

1 Luke Cowan-Dickie
    2 Jamie George
    3 Mako Vunipola
    4 Courtney Lawes
    5 Maro Itoje
    6 Mark Wilson
    7 Harry Williams
    8 Billy Vunipola

9 Ben Youngs
    10 Owen Farrell
    11 Chris Ashton
    12 Manu Tuilagi
    13 Henry Slade
    14 Jonny May
    15 Elliot Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lancey Howard

Hope you are right. Your front row reads: hooker, hooker, loosehead

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's another mistake in that team too. Back row.

Not gonna lie, I don't know the English pack very well

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not gonna lie, I don't know the English pack very well

No bother pj.... It's doesn't matter who they select... We're gonna smash the sassanach ba$tards !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Vunipola.
    George.
    Sinckler.
    Itoje.
    Launchbury.
    Lawes.
    Curry.
    Vunipola.

Youngs.
    Ford.
    May.
    Farrell.
    Tuilagi.
    Daly.
    Brown.

A couple here I'm not sure about. Throwing Curry in at the deep end for one. Robson is also clearly the in form scrumhalf. With Te'o out I think Farrell has to start in the centre. Lawes moves to blindside with Shields out. Cokanasiga out means you want Daly back on the wing, in his best position. So Brown starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Right, I'm going to call it.

I don't see any combination of 15 English players there that can beat us if we're anywhere close to our best.

Barring any major unexpected events, Ireland by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

"All the good roses were eaten at Christmas time, time to dispose of the rest" Peter O Mahony Saturday 2nd February 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Right, I'm going to call it.

I don't see any combination of 15 English players there that can beat us if we're anywhere close to our best.

Barring any major unexpected events, Ireland by 10.

I think it's been a bit of a weird year or so for English rugby in general.

Their star names haven't really been playing to the standards that they previously were, and they've all been ravaged by injuries at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I'm worried about complacency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I'm worried by Jack Nowell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Guess,

Forwards
    Starting 1-8
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
    Jamie George (Saracens)
    Maro Itoje (Saracens)
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
    Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)

Subs 16-20
    Nathan Hughes (Wasps)

Reserve:
    George Kruis (Saracens)

Backs
    Starting 9-15

Subs 21-23
    Dan Robson (Wasps)
    Elliot Daly (Wasps)

Reserve:
    Mike Brown (Harlequins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The return of the Schmidt curve ball?

The Schmidt curve ball for me would have been Ruddock wearing the 19 jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's England, so I'm not too worried.

We could play a retired tight-head at fullback, they'd still just keep giving the ball to Billy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Guess,

Forwards
    Starting 1-8
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
    Jamie George (Saracens)
    Maro Itoje (Saracens)
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
    Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)

Subs 16-20
    Nathan Hughes (Wasps)

Reserve:
    George Kruis (Saracens)

Backs
    Starting 9-15

Subs 21-23
    Dan Robson (Wasps)
    Elliot Daly (Wasps)

Reserve:
    Mike Brown (Harlequins)

I hope that this is our team (England) for the game with the exception of Daly at FB and maybe Nowell on the wing instead of Ashton. Curry is a very handy player, different to Underhill but will be interesting to see how he goes against a world class back row.

I just pray to he doesn’t switch Farrell to 12 and bring Ford in at 10, I don’t see that being enough and Slade is a far superior overall player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

GDK_11 wrote: »
    I hope that this is our team (England) for the game with the exception of Daly at FB and maybe Nowell on the wing instead of Ashton. Curry is a very handy player, different to Underhill but will be interesting to see how he goes against a world class back row.

I just pray to he doesn’t switch Farrell to 12 and bring Ford in at 10, I don’t see that being enough and Slade is a far superior overall player.

Yeah, fullback is a tight call, Browne, Daly and Ashton all viable options there.

Looking at that selection I think they (England) have a huge opportunity to beat Ireland.
    The pack looks very strong, the half-backs are class, and there's a lot of speed in May, Ashton and Nowell is a great finisher.
    Slade and Tuilagi are a bit of a question mark at the minute, but sometimes coming into matches with a bit of an unknown quantity can be an advantage, Ireland won't underestimate them but there may be a few surprises in the English playbook.

Two sides having won the 6 nations between them over the past 5 years, coming into the World Cup, both playng well against New Zealand in Autumn, some payback for last 6nations in the minds of the English players, Ireland at the peak of their rankings in history so England would love to take them down. This has the potential to be a real cracker, probably the best match-up for an opening match of the championship in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Not going to give him the clicks. He actually has his ear to the ground regarding some Leinster goings-on, but he's the biggest cheerleader in the country. He's not far from making the likes of Conor George look even and balanced.

The return of the Schmidt curve ball?

Or some pretty rubbish mind games with Eddie Jones.

I dunno, it would be the biggest surprise he's ever sprung. Even if it's only while Kearney gets back up to speed, it's basically telling a couple of other actual full backs that they're rubbish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This has the potential to be a real cracker, probably the best match-up for an opening match of the championship in years.

My worry with it is that we haven't started very well in the first round in the last 2 seasons. Still, having home advantage should be enough to see us getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Yeah, fullback is a tight call, Browne, Daly and Ashton all viable options there.

Looking at that selection I think they (England) have a huge opportunity to beat Ireland.
    The pack looks very strong, the half-backs are class, and there's a lot of speed in May, Ashton and Nowell is a great finisher.
    Slade and Tuilagi are a bit of a question mark at the minute, but sometimes coming into matches with a bit of an unknown quantity can be an advantage, Ireland won't underestimate them but there may be a few surprises in the English playbook.

Two sides having won the 6 nations between them over the past 5 years, coming into the World Cup, both playng well against New Zealand in Autumn, some payback for last 6nations in the minds of the English players, Ireland at the peak of their rankings in history so England would love to take them down. This has the potential to be a real cracker, probably the best match-up for an opening match of the championship in years.

I would agree with this. Ireland are clearly the better side at the moment and are rightly favourites, 9pts does seem a bit on the high side though, in my opinion.

I’ve read a few comments that it doesn’t matter to much with regards to winning and it’s all about the WC but I just don’t see that. If Ireland win the tournament again they’re going in with huge confidence and knocking the likes of England and Wales in the process. If England and Wales have a good tournament they will be going in thinking they’re the best in this part of the world at least. That said NZ are still the team to beat for me come WC time but that’s a discussion for another day.

Talk of Henshaw at FB is interesting, if he does play and England play Daly then it’s safe to say both teams will be attacking them from the start.

We are seriously over rating England.

No leadership and lots of dross. We'll hit them hard and early and just like in South Africa they'll have no answer.

Bonus point and potential embarrassment for the visiters on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

So looks like Kearneys been dropped. Watching his atrocity of a performance last Friday people were just saying he's minding himself for England. Sorry but this is international rugby where you need to be in some sort of form and the right frame of mind. Maybe he's still carrying something. I'd like to think so. I hope he gets back to form and plays again for us as we are no doubt weaker without him at FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

No leadership and lots of dross. We'll hit them hard and early and just like in South Africa they'll have no answer.

You sound like an English fan....:)

This England squad minus some of their best players were one offside away from taking down the All Blacks.

Hardly dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Henshaw at fullback allows Ireland to get their three top centres on the field I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Henshaw at fullback allows Ireland to get their three top centres on the field I guess.

True, plus I wouldnt trust Larmour's defensive capabilities against England. He doubtless has dazzling feet going forward but you need an experienced reassuring presence at fullback and if Henshaw is in the team he would provide that.

troyzer wrote: »
    This England squad minus some of their best players were one offside away from taking down the All Blacks.

Hadly dross.

All Blacks were minding themselves for the main event. They were pulling a Kearney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROC in the Indo is also running with Henshaw at 15.
    The team will be announced tomorrow at the famous time of IRFU Lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ROC in the Indo is also running with Henshaw at 15.
    The team will be announced tomorrow at the famous time of IRFU Lunchtime.

Interesting if it comes to pass, since Kearney was confirmed as fully fit yesterday and trained this week. To my mind and I could be wrong, this will be the first time Kearney has not been picked when fit and available against Tier 1 opposition?

I still can't believe it.

If Kearney is undercooked and can't be risked, fair enough. The solution is a guy who hasn't played fullback in four years? Overlooking three actual full backs in the process?

Even if Kearney is done and put out to stud, we need to look to the World Cup but Henshaw won't be playing fb for Leinster between now and then.

And we don't use the 6N for experimenting, right?

It would shatter about 50 different things that we all believed.

It would be very interesting but I just can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be fairly interested and excited to see it but I'm unsure as to how likely it is. If I was EJ, I'd be looking for Farrell/Ford to absolutely pepper the backfield with kicks. I don't care how much anyone sees themselves as a full back or has experience playing there in the past, his positional sense won't be as sharp as it once was and England can win some field position.

If it was the RWC warm ups and he got 2-3 games there along with a couple of provincial games between now and then, I would be a lot more confident about it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Normally I wouldn't believe it, but Kearney was so bad last week that it's really not that unrealistic that he gets dropped. Maybe Schmidt is sending a message.

Can't really explain him overlooking Larmour, Addison or Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Normally I wouldn't believe it, but Kearney was so bad last week that it's really not that unrealistic that he gets dropped. Maybe Schmidt is sending a message.

It's the second part that really does confuse me. In Larmour and Addison, he has guys who started at 15 in autumn and Larmour has started the last 3 European games there for Leinster. There are real options available.

It could turn out to be a masterstroke and possibly a case of Schmidt wanting to get his best players on the field but any excitement at Henshaw starting at full back would be significantly dampened by the sense of unease. Leinster and Ireland have both tried him at 13 in the past year (the other position he once played regularly) and the results were mediocre at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I believe in Henshaw at 15, I just think it sends a slightly ****ty signal to some players, when Joe is usually so good at signalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

England away points v Ireland in 6N = 14, 42, 13, 13, 13, 8, 12, 9, 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Which isnt quite as good as your best two centres and your best fullback on the field though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its odd. Given our relative lack of depth is at centre rather than full back, surely giving one of that trio a big game has to be part of his plan. If Henshaw at 15 becomes plan B, or even plan A, if Bobster is in the doghouse, then we are leaving ourselves very very exposed at centre backup. I would have though both COnway and Larmour have done enough, not that there arent concerns with them, but not to be leapfrogged like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Henshaw has the natural ability to thrive at 15, he’s brilliant under a high ball. If he can re adjust to the positioning aspect, I think he’ll be a huge asset going into the World Cup. He is a better tackler, stronger runner with ball in hand and possibly has more flair than Kearney. He’s the solid dependable player who joe has all the faith in the world in just like Kearney has/had. Get him in at 15 for the whole 6 nations if it works brilliant another dimension to Ireland’s attack for the World Cup.
    While it was a few years ago he has played 15 in some big games for Connacht included beating Toulouse away, the first win in thomond park, and a home win against Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wegians89 wrote: »
    If he can re adjust to the positioning aspect, I think he’ll be a huge asset gelding into the World Cup.

I can't see Robbie agreeing to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Jewelers wrote: »
    England away points v Ireland in 6N = 14, 42, 13, 13, 13, 8, 12, 9, 9.
    was posted in the thread already i think. Its basicially theyve scored 1 try in all games bar the 03 game with the world cup winning side at its best
    Will be around same this weekend. ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Its odd. Given our relative lack of depth is at centre rather than full back,

Huh? We've centres coming out our ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I can't see Robbie agreeing to that

Edited now, getting too excited haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Larmour is still young and learning his trade, struggled against Argentina in November.

Addison playing 13 most of the season, still relatively new to set up.

Conway not a specialist full back although he can feel the hardest done by I think.

Henshaw has risks attached but so do the above.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement