Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6n 2019 Ireland v England Build Up Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Perifect wrote: »
    If he's not playing well and others overtake him, he'll be dropped. Sentiment won't come into it.

It would take an unprecedented loss of form for 3 other hookers to be considered ahead of him. Add into that his leadership qualities, and Best having a lot of Credit in the bank.

There is as good as zero % chance that Best doesn't make the plane if he's fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

aloooof wrote: »
    It would take an unprecedented loss of form for 3 other hookers to be considered ahead of him. Add into that his leadership qualities, and Best having a lot of Credit in the bank.

There is as good as zero % chance that Best doesn't make the plane if he's fit.

Well, we'll see. He'll be 37, it mightn't be a form issue. He just might be finished at the top level. We'll find out later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Sky Sports have the England squad announced:

England: 15 Elliot Daly, 14 Jonny May, 13 Henry Slade, 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 Jack Nowell, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Ben Youngs; 1 Mako Vunipola, 2 Jamie George, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 4 Maro Itoje, 5 George Kruis, 6 Mark Wilson, 7 Tom Curry, 8 Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Harry Williams, 19 Courtney Lawes, 20 Nathan Hughes, 21 Dan Robson, 22 George Ford, 23 Chris Ashton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Interested to see how Daly fares, completely phoned it in against Leinster and was dreadful. Not sure how easy it'll be to suddenly regain form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

AdamD wrote: »
    Interested to see how Daly fares, completely phoned it in against Leinster and was dreadful. Not sure how easy it'll be to suddenly regain form.

That was definitely an attitude issue as opposed to a talent/ form issue.

Wasps were dead and buried and he'd signed for Sarries anyway.

Daly a very impressive player and wont have any problems getting up for a game away to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

AdamD wrote: »

He's not a full back. I don't know why Jones keeps selecting him there and he seems completely disinterested for Wasps of late and was mediocre at best in the autumn. I don't think he's someone who can just turn on a big performance when needed despite being out of form so hopefully we look to bomb him early via Murray and see how he handles it.

Buer wrote: »
    He's not a full back. I don't know why Jones keeps selecting him there and he seems completely disinterested for Wasps of late and was mediocre at best in the autumn. I don't think he's someone who can just turn on a big performance when needed despite being out of form so hopefully we look to bomb him early via Murray and see how he handles it.

Is he more capable at FB than Anthony Watson? We clearly targeted him last year with some kicks, which paid off very well. I'd suspect he's probably better under the high ball?

aloooof wrote: »
    Is he more capable at FB than Anthony Watson? We clearly targeted him last year with some kicks, which paid off very well. I'd suspect he's probably better under the high ball?

I wouldn't have him down as any better than Watson (who is probably better than he showed that day) but Daly was rubbish under it against SA in the autumn and they repeatedly went after him.

I'd have strongly considered Mike Brown. Daly's performance levels have been below par for a while and, against Conor Murray, I would be a bit nervous if I was an England fan.

I wouldn't have him down as any better than Watson (who is probably better than he showed that day) but Daly was rubbish under it against SA in the autumn and they repeatedly went after him.

I'd have strongly considered Mike Brown. Daly's performance levels have been below par for a while and, against Conor Murray, I would be a bit nervous if I was an England fan.

Daly seems like a really good fit for the 23 jersey, even if his form hasn't been amazing. Really hard to say for sure who Jones considers to be first choice in a number of positions/combinations, which is pretty bad this close to the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

One thing I'd add to the Henshaw discussion is his GIGANTIC kicking. That man can kick a ball harder and higher than most. The hang time that he'll be able to put on the ball is crazy.
    I'm expecting a lot of high balls from himself to chase if he starts at 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kuang1 wrote: »
    One thing I'd add to the Henshaw discussion is his GIGANTIC kicking. That man can kick a ball harder and higher than most. The hang time that he'll be able to put on the ball is crazy.
    I'm expecting a lot of high balls from himself to chase if he starts at 15.

I'd say Daly's boot is bigger to be fair. If a kicking duel came down to length I'd say Daly has it. Henshaw has a lovely neat long low raking grubber though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Thats a very good english team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd say Daly's boot is bigger to be fair. If a kicking duel came down to length I'd say Daly has it. Henshaw has a lovely neat long low raking grubber though.

True.
    I'd have no reservations about Henshaw's ability to contest in the air though.
    I'm expecting more high balls than usual in this game. Hopefully we'll see no red cards resulting from aerial contests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Slade can be gotten to. He's not a great tackler. I'm rather surprised he was selected tbh. He hasn't impressed for England. Lovely passer though so it dovetails with the forwards selection and Tuilagi at 12. Win the gain line and get Slade to spread it to the back 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »

Daly's left foot is like something out of terminator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Simpsons_06_15.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

apart from the two V's, itoje and farrell... theres none of the rest that id consider top international class.

that midfield is chalk and cheese. Tuilagi will look to hit hard and try to off load out of contact... but aki wont be stepping backwards. im also expecting a lot of dummy lines from him trying to suck in our centers... but i think ringrose is too clever for that.

Slade as a second playmaker has never really shone at test level, despite being a very good footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Individually as players yes but that backline will have played very little together. The backrow combination is quite untested as well. The bench is quite green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Sangre wrote: »
    Individually as players yes but that backline will have played very little together. The backrow combination is quite untested as well. The bench is quite green.

The backline could be more dangerous in the 2nd half if they bring ford on for slade and push farrell and tuilagi out one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What's key is to not give them a sniff at the start. England generally start games very well. If you don't start well, you could find yourself down 14 points fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any penalties near half way and he'll have a shot.

what we want is on the first phased play to get bundee to run hard outside of Farrell and test out that thumb of his.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

That was definitely an attitude issue as opposed to a talent/ form issue.

Wasps were dead and buried and he'd signed for Sarries anyway.

Daly a very impressive player and wont have any problems getting up for a game away to Ireland

No, its a talent issue. His stats under the high ball, one of the key tasks of a full back, are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd like to see Henshaw* run a hard short line on Slade. Test out his defence.

* Presuming he starts at 15.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's clearly something wrong with Jack McGrath.

Kilcoyne on the bench. Is Jack McGrath injured?

EDIT: What troyzer said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

troyzer wrote: »
    There's clearly something wrong with Jack McGrath.

Out of form/fitness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Obviously confident with SOB's fitness if he is on the bench.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kearney dropped after all. I guess the notion that playing terribly the week before Ireland teams are announced doesn't matter is false.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Out of form/fitness?

Probably the latter but he missed the Toulouse game as well even though he was ostensibly healthy. There's something niggly going on which is keeping him off the pitch for big games.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Super Rob discarded. I think it'll strengthen the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This will be the first Six Nations appearance for Dave Kilcoyne since 2013.

• Advertisement

A few guys who can be quite disappointed, mostly those who didn't make the bench. Excited to see how Henshaw goes. If it's a success, it could be a very interesting solution to a significant problem that was coming down the tracks. I'd be curious to see how things go with selections for Leinster next season. It would leave a hole for Leinster at 12 which would need to be addressed.

I mean....is it time to bring forward Aki's relocation to Leinster to back up Conor O'Brien? We'll need to think deeply on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

awec wrote: »
    Kearney dropped after all. I guess the notion that playing terribly the week before Ireland teams are announced doesn't matter is false.

Or he just is not match fit. Or a combo of both.

is there no live presser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Think Kilcoyne has deserved that spot. Pity we're missing Beirne/Henderson, would be some bench with 1 of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

i await the Henshaw hamstring tweak!
    Full-Back STOP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

A little surprised Schmidt didn't keep VDF for impact and upping the pace. Plus if he gets injured early can SOB last the whole rest of the game? Good to see Kilcoyne on the bench. Super player in form. Otherwise a fantastic team-stronger than the one that beat the AB's.

Roux in ahead of Dillane is interesting. Dillane was in the original squad and Roux wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »

Possibly has more to do with him not playing little or no rugby for 2 months and not being fit enough. No doubt last Friday would factor into it, but a one off poor performance is probably the least important part of the selection process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Delighted with the team really. Going to be plenty of pressure on Henshaw’s shoulders and I’m sure Farrell will be testing him out with variable kicks.

Bit of a set back for McGrath but hopefully he turns his form around just like Healy did. Great to think we still have Henderson and Beirne missing from that squad.

A few guys who can be quite disappointed, mostly those who didn't make the bench. Excited to see how Henshaw goes. If it's a success, it could be a very interesting solution to a significant problem that was coming down the tracks. I'd be curious to see how things go with selections for Leinster next season. It would leave a hole for Leinster at 12 which would need to be addressed.

I mean....is it time to bring forward Aki's relocation to Leinster to back up Conor O'Brien? We'll need to think deeply on this.

5fbUwrx.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

troyzer wrote: »
    Probably the latter but he missed the Toulouse game as well even though he was ostensibly healthy. There's something niggly going on which is keeping him off the pitch for big games.

Killer deserves every bit of that selection.
    His game has improved leaps and bounds this year, and it wasn't far off to begin with!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Killer deserves every bit of that selection.
    His game has improved leaps and bounds this year, and it wasn't far off to begin with!

I mean, he'll do a job and I'm not overly worried with him on the bench. But McGrath is next level when he's healthy.

It's rare that a team selection that is widely reported ends up wrong.
    stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s only 2 journos so far? One of whom I wouldn’t trust with directions to the toilet.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Roux in ahead of Dillane is interesting. Dillane was in the original squad and Roux wasn't.

Possibly to do with lineout calling. I thought Roux was a surprise omission in the original squad in any case.

A significant team selection in that Kearney and SOB are for the first time in years not first picks when fit. Hard to know with Kearney, anything from regaining his place next week to not even making the RWC squad is a possibility at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Delighted with the team really. Going to be plenty of pressure on Henshaw’s shoulders and I’m sure Farrell will be testing him out with variable kicks.

Bit of a set back for McGrath but hopefully he turns his form around just like Healy did. Great to think we still have Henderson and Beirne missing from that squad.

Second row impact is my only concern there. Roux is a decent player, but having Henderson or Beirne on the bench is a different beast altogether.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement