Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6n 2019 Ireland v England Build Up Thread

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Possibly to do with lineout calling. I thought Roux was a surprise omission in the original squad in any case.

A significant team selection in that Kearney and SOB are for the first time in years not first picks when fit. Hard to know with Kearney, anything from regaining his place next week to not even making the RWC squad is a possibility at the moment.
    I think it'll be a case of message received loud and clear, he'll train the bollocks off himself all week and he back in the team next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

awec wrote: »
    I think it'll be a case of message received loud and clear, he'll train the bollocks off himself all week and he back in the team next week.

Can move Henshaw to Stockdale's wing if he doesn't score a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

troyzer wrote: »
    I mean, he'll do a job and I'm not overly worried with him on the bench. But McGrath is next level when he's healthy.

Ah now. I mean for a while he was the form loose head in the country. And in fact at that time It was Healy who was off the boil. Kilcoyne was unlucky not to be picked more then. An in-form Healy is ahead of the rest and McGrath has done great things for us but to say he's "next level" is just hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Ah now. I mean for a while he was the form loose head in the country. And in fact at that time It was Healy who was off the boil. Kilcoyne was unlucky not to be picked more then. An in-form Healy is ahead of the rest and McGrath has done great things for us but to say he's "next level" is just hyperbole.

Well, he's a Lion.

As mentioned already, Kilcoyne hasn't been in a Six Nations game for six years.

Again, he's grand and I'm not overly worried but there is clearly a gulf between them when McGrath is healthy.

Possibly to do with lineout calling. I thought Roux was a surprise omission in the original squad in any case.

A significant team selection in that Kearney and SOB are for the first time in years not first picks when fit. Hard to know with Kearney, anything from regaining his place next week to not even making the RWC squad is a possibility at the moment.

I think the idea would have been to give Dillane a run alongside Toner or Henderson against Italy to see if he could make a case for himself. Roux can run a Lineout and scrm on that side if toner had to go off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    I mean....is it time to bring forward Aki's relocation to Leinster to back up Conor O'Brien? We'll need to think deeply on this.

6N zero tolerance policy is in operation. Be very careful...! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Zzippy wrote: »
    6N zero tolerance policy is in operation. Be very careful...! ;)

Who shades it in the scrum? Killer is a great impact player to have, but I always worry about the scrum, although he does seem to have worked on that the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Mr Tickle wrote: »

When McGrath was at his best, I don't think it's out of the question to say he's next level. The bloke played in 3 Lions tests in NZ and was pushing hard for the starting spot.

Unfortunately, he has never hit those heights since; this isn't the first time he lost his spot in the 23 since that Lions tour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »
    When McGrath was at his best, I don't think it's out of the question to say he's next level. The bloke played in 3 Lions tests in NZ and was pushing hard for the starting spot.

Unfortunately, he has never hit those heights since; this isn't the first time he lost his spot in the 23 since that Lions tour.

He seems to have had a real loss of form since then. Before that tour began himself and Mako were both 10/11 to be the starting loosehead in the test team.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so joe has admitted that it was "a bit of rustiness in that game that tipped the balance for robbie" when referring to Rob Kearney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so joe has admitted that it was "a bit of rustiness in that game that tipped the balance for robbie" when referring to Rob Kearney

Yup, not match sharp and no point having him on the bench as he doesn't cover positions.

Jack McGrath hasn't looked particularly fit since the start of the season and one or two of his early games he was seriously struggling with the pace.

Kilcoyne on the other hand has probably never looked fitter and is playing pretty well. I'm not hugely surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its going to be a nervy one

I ****ing hate losing too England esp with that smug Jones in charge. Everyone loved him when he was with Japan but he turned into a right gob****e when he joined England

were going for 3 in a row against them in fact

"A lot of the time, you'd probably lose the wood in the trees" - Tadhg Furlong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sydthebeat wrote: »

Glad to see no sentiment or risk taking at this point. Kearney will understand that.

Having gotten warmed up at 15, Henshaw must carry on at 15 for Scotland if he has anything other than a terrible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

On paper, that team is a lot better than the England one, purely on current form. Possibly the biggest gap there has ever been in favour of us.

Maybe the biggest gap between the 2 teams since 2003 in terms of quality and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

On paper, that team is a lot better than the England one, purely on current form. Possibly the biggest gap there has ever been in favour of us.

Maybe the biggest gap between the 2 teams since 2003 in terms of quality and experience.

This is the talk I'm hearing all week. We're too good for these, we are by far the better team, we are going to win this easy. This talk scares me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

This will be the first Six Nations appearance for Dave Kilcoyne since 2013.

And its well deserved. Been in flying form, and brings great impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Perifect wrote: »
    This is the talk I'm hearing all week. We're too good for these, we are by far the better team, we are going to win this easy. This talk scares me.

Why would it scare you? I could proclaim that we’ll win by 60 but the players aren’t taking notice of random internet users or even what journalists think.

salmocab wrote: »
    Why would it scare you? I could proclaim that we’ll win by 60 but the players aren’t taking notice of random internet users or even what journalists think.

It's the general attitude everywhere. The journalists, families and friends of the players etc. They can say all they want that they don't listen to any of this talk. I really hope they don't but we have seen examples of complacency before. This aligned with a hungrier underdog.......I'm scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

The coaches must have identified that Garces won't penalise Kilcoyne for his illegal scrummaging, pushing in at 45 degrees. He's in big trouble in the scrum every time he's not allowed to cheat

salmocab wrote: »

The players are glued to boards. Sure Joe has the best quotes up on the white board before kick off.

Don't kid yourself into thinking we don't matter. We're all there is between world no.2 Ireland and the Ireland our parents grew up with.

Was there a boards rugby forum back then? No. And we were rubbish - coincidence? I think not.

The players are glued to boards. Sure Joe has the best quotes up on the white board before kick off.

Don't kid yourself into thinking we don't matter. We're all there is between world no.2 Ireland and the Ireland our parents grew up with.

Was there a boards rugby forum back then? No. And we were rubbish - coincidence? I think not.

From what I've seen, this forum is full of posters who believe they know a lot about rugby, but don't know nearly as much as they think. The Henshaw selection exposed quite a few.

From what I've seen, this forum is full of posters who believe they know a lot about rugby, but don't know nearly as much as they think. The Henshaw selection exposed quite a few.

This from a poster who claims you "basically called the Henshaw selection" when you said nothing of the sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Think it’s a kick ass team

aloooof wrote: »
    This from a poster who claims you "basically called the Henshaw selection" when you said nothing of the sort?

I said Joe is going to try things out with the world cup in mind. It's the main focus of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I said Joe is going to try things out with the world cup in mind. It's the main focus of the year.

Which is a statement that covers just about every possible team.

This is the closest thing you posted and it was posted AFTER all the Henshaw rumours. You didn't basically call anything.
    Winning the championship or grand slam again would be great but let's get real, the world cup is the big one this year. It's about building up for that and making sure we're ready. Kearney is nearly 33. He had an awful game at the weekend, one game alone can't end his career but he mightn't be up to it anymore. It's a possibility so we have to look for alternatives. Henshaw could be the best we have available. There's no doubt that he had some great games at 15 in his earlier days. Larmour could be great but he has a lot to learn. Can that be done before the world cup? He should start a game or two in this 6 nations.
    There are other positions we need to look at. Obviously, hooker is the big one but we also need to test the back up partnerships. Marmion and Carberry should start one or two games together. Depending on the Henshaw situation, the back up centre partnership needs a run also. I think props, locks and backrows and wingers are fairly sorted.

Which is a statement that covers just about every possible team.

No, it doesn't.

This is the closest thing you posted and it was posted AFTER all the Henshaw rumours. You didn't basically call anything.

If you're going through my posts you might as well look up what I said about Best and when I said it. :)

• Advertisement

If you're going through my posts you might as well look up what I said about Best and when I said it. :)

You spelt Henshaw wrong... still can't find anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Please stop quoting.

movie_projector.jpg?itok=zD-doWcz

You spelt Henshaw wrong... still can't find anything...

I was talking about Joe trying things out with the world cup in mind. Looks like Henshaw now but there will be more.

Please stop quoting.

Please have a read of the charter and stop referring to posters being put on ignore, however oblique the reference. You have people on ignore, great, everyone doesn't have to know about it.

You're new here and have decided again to jump in with two big size 10s. People are here to talk about rugby, not to hear how you were right and everyone else was wrong. Stay on topic or post somewhere else. If you keep posting to annoy people you will not be here long.

For the last time, stick to the ****ing rugby people! Some long-established posters are going to be getting cards soon. ZERO TOLERANCE APPLIES.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Theres no doubt England will be fired up for this and I think the game will be a tough prospect. These games tend to be close but you'd hope and expect that Ireland have enough nous, experience and controlled aggression to win. Id love to see us maintain the same level of intensity and ferocity we saw against the All Blacks. We need to hit them early and sustain that across both halves. In previous campaigns we have scored early and have had long periods in the game without scoring, that needs to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

England have a lot to prove in the lead up to the RWC, they had a poor enough start to 2018, and redeemed that in a way with the autumn internationals, but not convincingly.

They'll definitely be trying to lay down a marker with this game for sure. But I think we're just a stronger side from 1-15. Bar Billy V maybe and even then there's not a huge gap between him and Stander.

• Advertisement

I think we'll shade it.
    England will be very physical, and they actually have some pacy backs in attack and some nice moves off first phase.
    A lot will depend on how Tualagi goes, he's the type of player that a team can get behind, so basically an on pitch leader.
    But all in all, we are at home, we rarely get put off our game and we have a seven.

Anyone know what state the pitch will be in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It'll be a tough game for sure. Not a huge amount between the teams. The two 10s will be in the gunsights for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fine. Aviva pitch is one of best around and hasnt been much played there recently.

It'll be a tough game for sure. Not a huge amount between the teams. The two 10s will be in the gunsights for sure.

On that point, I wonder what odds on a Farrell red card for a high tackle?

Joe's explanation that Henshaw had trained there since Australia changes things slightly. Its still strange regardless. Can you think of any other time an inside center switched to fullback a few years into his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I still think Kearney will be out first choice fullback for the World Cup if he can remain fit. None of the other options are actually playing at 15 regularly. Henshaw will go back to 12 with Leinster, Addison is Ulster's 13 and Conway and Larmour play on the wing.

On that point, I wonder what odds on a Farrell red card for a high tackle?

Double what they would be if we started Blade

Edit: or half, i don't know how gambling works. Blade is small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Joe's explanation that Henshaw had trained there since Australia changes things slightly. Its still strange regardless. Can you think of any other time an inside center switched to fullback a few years into his career.
    Not too many but Henshaw was a 13/15 for virtually all age grade and early pro career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted with that team. Really looking forward to seeing how Henshaw gets on. McGrath obviously isn't right, but Kilcoyne has been going really well and deserves the pick. Slightly surprised by Roux getting in ahead of Dillane.

I'm nearly afraid to watch this match......it'll be a battle. Hope there are no serious injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The ground staff in the Aviva are second to none, it's been cold up here for the past couple of days with a bit of ice, but they'll have had the heaters running on the pitch to combat it.

Most importantly it's to be dry all day tomorrow and Saturday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement