Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meter/consumer tails

Options
  • 26-01-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

sorry if this should be in insulation section so feel free to move it.

Myself and the family are going to do some upgrades/insulation later this year and we are just forming a list of what needs to be done and in what order and so on, and one thing that has arisen is the meter tails from the meter going to the board in the house, the meter is in standard cabinet recessed into the wall and the tails are leaving the cabinet through the side hole but there is no conduit around them, from my understanding (and i might be wrong) meter tails cant be in direct contact with pumped ball insulation, is this true or not and what kind of conduit should be used or is their an alternative to prevent the balls from basically flowing/pouring out the hole in the cabinet.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I had my house done I just cleaned out the small few that came out of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 testings56

keithdub wrote: »
    I had my house done I just cleaned out the small few that came out of the hole.

Well thats good to hear but im still concerned about the effects the beads/balls might have on the wires like some of the concerns here electriciansforums.co.uk and on some other sites regarding Polystyrene and PVC, might ring around a few 2/3 electricians in the morning and see where i stand with health and safety and the legal side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

testings56 wrote: »
    Well thats good to hear but im still concerned about the effects the beads/balls might have on the wires like some of the concerns here electriciansforums.co.uk and on some other sites regarding Polystyrene and PVC, might ring around a few 2/3 electricians in the morning and see where i stand with health and safety and the legal side

The mains cables should be in a duct or conduit for protection. Your quite right that some beaded insulation reacts adversely with pvc cables.it may be simpler to replace the cable altogether and upgrade to 16mm if required

meercat wrote: »
    The mains cables should be in a duct or conduit for protection. Your quite right that some beaded insulation reacts adversely with pvc cables.it may be simpler to replace the cable altogether and upgrade to 16mm if required

we already have 16 sq installed but it's with the reduced size earth I guess these would have to be upgraded to the new twin and earth standardized cable tho, any idea what type conduit is used in cases like this tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

testings56 wrote: »
    we already have 16 sq installed but it's with the reduced size earth I guess these would have to be upgraded to the new twin and earth standardized cable tho, any idea what type conduit is used in cases like this tho?

No need to replace it so. You might need a rec to see can he slide a bit of flexible kopex up it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is 10mm^2 still permitted as a cpc for meter tails?

Are single pvcs ok to use?

Just asking has there been changes.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Is 10mm^2 still permitted as a cpc for meter tails?

Are single pvcs ok to use?

Just asking has there been changes.

I was only assuming this was now the case based on the new twin and earth and the swa 3 core color changes that were brought in. I've seen a few houses use t+e instead of singles I was just assuming I might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Guess no change so.

Advertisement