Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's rubbish. He didn't wake up some morning and decide that he couldn't be bothered trying to think of a name for a character - that he doesn't deserve a name.
    There was some reason for it - maybe to make the main character seem anonymous, like reduce his perceived importance. That the setting and the story is the main focus. Or might be something as simple as just wanting to do something a bit different to create a media buzz. Gets people talking.

Whatever other faults associated with the film, you are being over picky dwelling on the fact that the lead character is not given a proper name.

I only half understood it first time I saw it. After reading lots of comments in the past month, I'm going to give it another viewing. I'll probably get better enjoyment from it, or at least I'll pick up on bits that I didn't get on the initial watch.

*shrug* your speculation's as good as mine; it doesn't matter what he may or may not have thought, Nolan's last 2 movies have been without his long-time brother screenplay partner, Jonathan Nolan. Both these 2 movies have been more pronounced technical exercises where "character" has been almost absent. Now, while Dunkirk at least had a visceral immediacy amounting to its cast's need to get off a beach they may otherwise die on, Tenet had ... ... well, what? The Protagonist had no background, name, motivations, arcs, biases - nothing. Heck, it wasn't even clear if he was sexually attracted towards Elizabeth Debicki's character; at least that would have been a pretty simple, classic motivation. Like many writing duos, when one leaves it can reveal what it was they brought to the table (often especially obvious with comedy acts); Jonathan Nolan seems to be the one who put some flesh on the bones of Christopher's intellectual flights.

Honestly, Christopher Nolan doesn't need "buzz", he's arguably the most bankable, famous director on the planet - he has the clout to crash a 747 and build whole cornfields on a whim - but watching his older work such as The Prestige or Batman Begins, then Tenet, and to me there's a huge gap in terms of the humanity and basic screenwriting within the story. If Nolan wants to just make these big splashy conceptual movies, then cool! Dunkirk worked far better as a purely technical exercise and between it and Tenet, Dunkirk's the better movie.

But as a viewer who likes to be vaguely emotionally engaged with the human beings on-screen, yes even blockbuster fluff, Tenet had no pulse; asking me to spend 2+ hours with a character with no discernable characteristics got boring. To then go "aha, it was me all along from the future" without bothering to show any clues towards this? Yeah, that's just lazy, sloppy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this makes more sense than the movie

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

AllForIt wrote: »
    Half way through and I put it on pause.

Absolutely no idea what this is about tbh. I thought I was going to be one of those ppl that 'got it' and say it was great but it turns out I could not be more disinterested.

All I see is echos of Batman and Inception but no actual movie. Haven't a clue. I can't even say it's bad because I don't know if it is good or bad, all I know is that I'm completely disinterested. I doubt watching the second half will change what I think of it.

For me it was enjoyable set piece film but bonkers logic.

Its ridiculous. Completely implausible. But I still enjoyed it as a spectacular action film.

Switch your brain off popcorn stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Big Nolan fan... absolute pile of pretentious ****e

sticker wrote: »

Probably his worst film to date.

Its still got some gorgeous set pieces.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Probably his worst film to date.

Its still got some gorgeous set pieces.

My wife got me the 4k blu ray for the silly season. It's going to adverts...

My wife got me the 4k blu ray for the silly season. It's going to adverts...

I hope thats not all she got ya. If so, get the divorce lawyer on stand by:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

silverharp wrote: »

That was funny af :)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I hope thats not all she got ya. If so, get the divorce lawyer on stand by:D

It was sitting on a PS5 so not all is lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Thank you for posting this. I don't have to watch the film now, fvckin hell it looks beyond ridiculous. Video was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

"yeah , yeah.. no I'll... I'll get there" that exactly what I said to myself a 1/3rd of the way through the film ha was just waiting for that "rosetta stone" moment that would make sense of the whole thing. Still waiting :pac:
    Funny thing I found myself doing intially after seeing it in cinema was telling myself it was probably very good and I just needed to rewatch it to fully appreciate it and understand it. Nope, just not a very good movie. I had thought Nolan could do no wrong and I was the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can put as many crazy concepts in a film but none of it is interesting. What is interesting is characters and how these characters interact, react and deal with the situations you put them in.

Tenet unfortunately has robots in place of characters and one of them they didn't bother to name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I've watched all of his films multiple times, but this one wont be getting a second outing. I had a pain in my head by the time it was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I've no idea what the f**k was going on, but I loved every second of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

kerplun k wrote: »
    I've no idea what the f**k was going on, but I loved every second of this.

Couple of lads trying to stop another lad setting off a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

In fairness Inception was also pretentious sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Couple of lads trying to stop another lad setting off a bomb.

Told in epic fashion.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Told in epic fashion.

one man's epic is another man's silly backward-playing muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Watched this last night, probably in the opposite of how Nolan intended it (on a laptop, with earphones).

I thought it was really good! Not a patch on Interstellar, Inception, or TDK, but probably level with Dunkirk. I was worried that I was going to be so confused but I actually found it pretty easy to follow (I'd just come from binging 3 seasons of Dark, so my brain must've been well trained for anything!)

Dialogue / sound for me was fine. In fact, probably the fact I was wearing earphones helped.

R-Patz was good in it, I felt Washington was a little wooden at times, but at other times he was funny and engaging. Brannagh was chewing the scenery at times as is his wont. Debicki was good, similar role to the Night Manager and she played it well.

Good action, good effects, good car chases and shoot outs. It's basically a James Bond movie with added complexity and science fiction elements.

7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CodeApples

just watched it. Not one to watch too late as i lost the will towards the end. Would say 6.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Covid19

You need to see it twice. But, before the second viewing, watch one of the many explanation vids on YouTube first that run through many of the plot set pieces. It's only then you understand that there is an absolute tonne of things happening in the background that you will have missed at first watching. I think this was the intention. Armed with the knowledge of what to look out for, second viewing is a joy. I personally thought it was a work of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I was really looking forward to this movie as I loved his previous stuff but I was disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Covid19 wrote: »
    You need to see it twice. But, before the second viewing, watch one of the many explanation vids on YouTube first that run through many of the plot set pieces. It's only then you understand that there is an absolute tonne of things happening in the background that you will have missed at first watching. I think this was the intention. Armed with the knowledge of what to look out for, second viewing is a joy. I personally thought it was a work of genius.

Not sure about that, after watching it I was sure I had missed lots of things, but after checking online, realised I hadn't and the plot was just very shallow.

The backward timey effects are great, but it's like Nolan was trying to serve us a deconstructed film at the same time (the algorithm, the protagonist), even the way Pattinson played the sidekick meant there was no surprise.

I thought they would go a bit into what it would take to change destiny rather than the watching things that already happened from another angle that Harry Potter did much better.

I agree the plot was thin as was the dialogue; the problem with watching Nolan movies now is that we're waiting for the big mind bending twist or crazy out-there element. Sure there was a twist in Tenet (the very end reveal) but in essence it was a globe-trotting action film, James Bond on acid as some reviewer said.

I'll happily rewatch it, knowing what I know (that there's really no great mystery to unravel). I don't think it'll be as rewatchable as Interstellar, which was all about the visuals and the music on a massive scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I tried to watch it over the weekend. I have a reasonable home cinema setup, and couldn't hear a word they were saying. Everything was muffled out by the background sounds. I've never had this issue with a movie before. I ended up resorting to a less-surround setting, which helped, but I really had to focus to hear the dialogue. I was glad to hear that others experienced similar problems as I originally thought it was an issue with my setup!

Anyway, by a long way my least favourite Nolan movie, not helped at all by the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I watched it last night. I thought it was good initially, but the longer I think about it the less happy I am.

On the plus side:

- it looks good.
    - it has some great set pieces.
    - interesting idea
    - JDW & RP act well in it

Negative

- it's trying waaaay to hard to be clever.
    - fight scenes are more interesting than exciting
    - the car chases again were more interesting than exciting.
    - poor acting from Branagh
    - why cast such a tall woman? it might be petty but every time I saw her I was just thinking "she's a good bit taller than them".
    - the more I turned it over in my head the less sense it made

On the whole the premise and story just felt too brittle. I don't think Christopher Nolan is as clever as he thinks he is.

6/10

dubstepper wrote: »
    I don't think Christopher Nolan is as clever as he thinks he is.

Or, he's less clever than WE think he's trying to be, and he was just making an action movie with a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Watched this last night. Having scanned through some comments here, I fall in to the same group thinking that it's a bit heavy on exposition but looks great, and the time travel stuff is head spinning (in a fun, I wanna figure it out way). The big army battle at the end was a bit of a mess though. Cool concept, and cool build up but I'd no idea what was going on, who they were shooting at, what was backwards, what was forwards.

I've two questions though...
    1. The locked gate at the end. Pattinson has to go back at the end to "unlock" it. But he's inverted, so he's actually locking it. From his perspective it's open and he locks it. What am I missing here? If he never went back, the gate would have been open and The Protaganist's path would never have been blocked.
    2. It seemed that while they were inverted, Pattinson and The Protaganist were able to just walk around (e.g. outside the airport) and no-one was like "hey what's up with those backwards people".

Bacchus wrote: »
    2. It seemed that while they were inverted, Pattinson and The Protaganist were able to just walk around (e.g. outside the airport) and no-one was like "hey what's up with those backwards people".

I can't remember it exactly, but I think they went through a turnstile once they'd gone back in time, which allowed them to move forwards again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I can't remember it exactly, but I think they went through a turnstile once they'd gone back in time, which allowed them to move forwards again.

The point bring made is in relation to for an example the airport scene revisited. The lads are walking/running backwards with the lady on the gurney. Everyone else in real time would be going forward dealing with the plane crash and no doubt some would think "what's going on with these lads running backwards?"

Advertisement