Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching a current bid

Options
  • 27-01-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Viewed a property yesterday that has been on the market for a number of months. We were the only people there and were told that an offer is in below the asking, however, that buyer has been very slow to push things forward.

I have dealt with this particular EA on a previous unsuccessful bid and found him most unhelpful and very poor at communicating. I do not want a similar experience this time round so, if I was to formalise a bid matching the existing offer, outlining the fact we are not in a chain, have approval and are ready to go would this be conveyed to the seller or, because it’s not a larger bid than the current one can it be dismissed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

I have found EA s are the most unprofessional sorts I have ever come across.... is there any proof of the bid from other person?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

MrBusso wrote: »
    Hi,

Viewed a property yesterday that has been on the market for a number of months. We were the only people there and were told that an offer is in below the asking, however, that buyer has been very slow to push things forward.

I have dealt with this particular EA on a previous unsuccessful bid and found him most unhelpful and very poor at communicating. I do not want a similar experience this time round so, if I was to formalise a bid matching the existing offer, outlining the fact we are not in a chain, have approval and are ready to go would this be conveyed to the seller or, because it’s not a larger bid than the current one can it be dismissed?

Thanks.

I would match current bid and say that you are a cash buyer. The EA wants to shift the house. The fact you are not in a chain is a huge bonus. I have seen quite a few cases where sellers have accepted a lower offer because people weren't in chains as they were looking for a quick sale

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I would match current bid and say that you are a cash buyer. The EA wants to shift the house. The fact you are not in a chain is a huge bonus. I have seen quite a few cases where sellers have accepted a lower offer because people weren't in chains as they were looking for a quick sale

But it appears from the opening post that the op is not a cash buyer, I assume “approval” relates to a mortgage.

Op, if the property isn’t sale agreed, that means 2 things, the owner hasn’t accepted the bid you are planning to match, and the seller is not in a rush. If the bid the same, EA just goes back to other bidder and tells them to move the process on or they are going with your bid. Bid above though, and tell the EA you are looking at other properties and you might get the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I don’t know what good matching the current bid would do for you. If seller was happy with that figure they probably would have gone with it, or at least go with other interested party as they bid first.

I think you should at least offer more than other party.

How much below asking is the current offer?

If other party is in a chain there could be all sort of difficulties and delays. If sellers want a quick sale someone not in a chain will be a lot more desirable.

If other party is in the same position as you then bid more provided you can afford it and you think the house is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

If other party is in a chain there could be all sort of difficulties and delays. If sellers want a quick sale someone not in a chain will be a lot more desirable.

If other party is in the same position as you then bid more provided you can afford it and you think the house is worth it.

Yes, theee is more problems with a chain however being a mortgage buyer isnt exactly that enticing either. Cash buyers are king and yoy could match an offer if cash. Everything else wouldnt entice a customer tbh

Fol20 wrote: »
    Yes, theee is more problems with a chain however being a mortgage buyer isnt exactly that enticing either. Cash buyers are king and yoy could match an offer if cash. Everything else wouldnt entice a customer tbh

What you will find is a lot of people saying they are cash buyers when they require a mortgage. As long as you have all your ducks in a row mortgage approval can be a quick process. Even if you are a cash buyer the process can take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Based on the experience there might also be issues with the house: we had it some many times you wouldn't believe. The reason might be simple - as in they are not in rush or super slow but there might be a probate (or even more than one - we had that) that could be the reason. The seller might be in the chain (for example trying to settle some debt by selling more than 1 property - we also had that). Best bet is to offer a tad more than then highest bid if you really want to buy the house to see if there is a counterbid. If they want a higher price or dont want to sell, you will find out this way quicker I think

Good luck - a crappy EA doesnt help and makes the process even worse than it is (and its beyond bad in general)

What you will find is a lot of people saying they are cash buyers when they require a mortgage. As long as you have all your ducks in a row mortgage approval can be a quick process. Even if you are a cash buyer the process can take months.

Your not a cash buyer imo if you are getting a mortgage. I meant you are paying for the property using savings. And savings alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If your require a mortgage and you claim to be a cash buyer then your lying, pure and simple.

Bad tactic, the EA will not be pleased that you're blantly lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

GingerLily wrote: »
    If your require a mortgage and you claim to be a cash buyer then your lying, pure and simple.

So you’re saying they don’t like being played at their own game?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Most agents won't accept matching bids.

And if they do, the vendor most likely won't take the matching bidder seriously (for good reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are relying on a lender to buy a property, the lender will require a survey and valuation before draw done. If there are any issues with either, drawdown can be delayed and/or refused. A cash buyer is required to have neither to complete the sale so the process is faster. Why would a cash buyer take months to complete unless there was a problem on the sellers side?

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you are relying on a lender to buy a property, the lender will require a survey and valuation before draw done. If there are any issues with either, drawdown can be delayed and/or refused. A cash buyer is required to have neither to complete the sale so the process is faster. Why would a cash buyer take months to complete unless there was a problem on the sellers side?

Oddly enough. I didnt need a survey to complete mine. They were newer build apartments and btl mind you.

barrier86 wrote: »

If you want to piss off the EA and seller go ahead, but your unlikely to go sale agreed if you start playing games.

OP, I'd just offer 500e or 1k more then the current bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

OP -a couple of things

If you are offering the same as the existing offer you need to be able to show that your bid is better. Why is it better?

If you are a cash buyer (ie have all the cash yourself and don't require borrowings) then you are top of the pile.

If you are borrowing but have no property to sell on, then you'd be next preference.

If you are borrowing but have a property to sell then you'd be at the bottom.

you need to convey which of these options is you to the seller/EA. If the other bid is a better option, then don't expect the seller to accept your offer.

also- you mentioned the other bidder hadn't moved things along. Maybe they are in the background. Maybe they've done a survey and found some issues that they are looking into resolving.

Don't expect the EA to tell you the whole truth unless you ask the pertinent questions. They shouldn't lie to you, but they may hold back information unless you ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

And if they do, the vendor most likely won't take the matching bidder seriously (for good reason).

You don't know if other bidders exist, how serious they are if they do and if they are in a chain. Bid what you think the property is worth paying. I bid slightly less than the bid the estate agent claimed was already in and it was accepted the next day.

Cazale wrote: »
    You don't know if other bidders exist, how serious they are if they do and if they are in a chain. Bid what you think the property is worth paying. I bid slightly less than the bid the estate agent claimed was already in and it was accepted the next day.

If you suspect other bidders don't exist yet proceed to deal with the EA and go sale agreed (despite not trusting them ) you are somewhat of a house / naive bidder.

I presume you reported then to the PSRA for lying about a bid.

• Advertisement

This is untrue. Especially if the buyers circumstances are different.

This is untrue. Especially if the buyers circumstances are different.

This is untrue.

I can point you in the direction of many who don't take matching bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Would submitting a max bid be a bad move ? Obviously you would end up paying that amount.

mkdon wrote: »
    I have found EA s are the most unprofessional sorts I have ever come across.... is there any proof of the bid from other person?

What proof are you looking for here? The agent has told them there is a bid on the property. The agent must log all bids on each property.

The OP can either walk away or put their own bid in.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Would submitting a max bid be a bad move ? Obviously you would end up paying that amount.

That would depend on how much the "max" bid is relative to the current offer on the house.

I have tried this tactic before where I felt a property was worth it but was outbid unfortunately. As least there was no if's or buts.

It would at least guarantee an immediate decision. If the bid is accepted, the house is yours, if not, someone else can make it their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

If you suspect other bidders don't exist yet proceed to deal with the EA and go sale agreed (despite not trusting them ) you are somewhat of a house / naive bidder.

You were telling people earlier to bid above whatever random price an estate agent told you. That's naive.

I'd trust nobody especially when it comes to buying a house. I'm my experience if I only went with someone I trusted 100% I'd probably be living in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Doing this only means you end up overpaying.

If you are really eager to get this moved along, then maybe bid half way between current bid and your max

eg current bid is 100k, your max is 150k - you bid 125k.

a sizeable higher bid might tempt the seller and flush out the other buyer.

Cazale wrote: »
    You were telling people earlier to bid above whatever random price an estate agent told you. That's naive.

I'd trust nobody especially when it comes to buying a house. I'm my experience if I only went with someone I trusted 100% I'd probably be living in a tent.

You mustn't be aware of the fines or prison terms applicable to agents for made up bids I take it. Likewise if they don't record and relay all bids to a vendor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Decide what you think the house is worth. Say to the agent that if the house was available for x amount you would be interested. After that wait for the agent to make an approach.

Advertisement