Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching a current bid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

You mustn't be aware of the fines or prison terms applicable to agents for made up bids I take it. Likewise if they don't record and relay all bids to a vendor.

I've never heard of any estate agent going to prison. If they don't record or relay all bids then surely your point of estate agents not accepting matching bids falls under that description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Cazale wrote: »
    I've never heard of any estate agent going to prison. If they don't record or relay all bids then surely your point of estate agents not accepting matching bids falls under that description.

If you put a gun to their head they will, but they will recommend you don't (in your own interest) as you will appear as a messer to the vendor, compared to the person who has already placed the same bid. Think of it from the vendors perspective. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

You were telling people earlier to bid above whatever random price an estate agent told you. That's naive.

I'd trust nobody especially when it comes to buying a house. I'm my experience if I only went with someone I trusted 100% I'd probably be living in a tent.

I think this is the tinfoil hat coming out that EA's are creating fake bidders. An extra 5k offer equates to an extra 50 quid commission. It isnt worth the hassle of a deal falling through or risking your EA license for that type of money. Honestly from my experience, their not in it for the seller or buyer, they are in it for themself to get a sale to close out as many fail and need to be re advertised again.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

If you put a gun to their head they will, but they will recommend you don't (in your own interest) as you will appear as a messer to the vendor, compared to the person who has already placed the same bid. Think of it from the vendors perspective. :rolleyes:

If I'm a vendor I'm delighted if another bid comes at the same level from people not in a chain if I am looking for a quick sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I have never heard of them going to prison either. I also havent heard them getting caught for phantom bids. I have experienced them reject bids however this was mainly down to the situation the deal was under so for example, problems with the deeds so they would only accept mortgage free deals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

If I'm a vendor I'm delighted if another bid comes at the same level from people not in a chain if I am looking for a quick sale

I have been a vendor too so I suppose it is a case of different stroke for different folks. I would prefer my EA to get me the best price possible though, encouraging bids above the current one would be standard enough to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I have been a vendor too so I suppose it is a case of different stroke for different folks. I would prefer my EA to get me the best price possible though, encouraging bids above the current one would be standard enough to achieve that.

Absolutely they should but the bidder not in a chain presents a more favourable position IMHO.

I am currently selling and looking for a new place. I have been told by the last 2 EAs i've bid on property with that they have offers from people currently renting ready to move. They are much more attractive as it eliminates a large number of potential pitfall and time delays.

I am in a position to up my offer on the latest property but am unsure if I will as it will more than likely only be used as leverage to get the other party to up their bid. The sellers are looking for a quick sale and we can't do that as the only bids on our property are from people in chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MrBusso

Thanks for all the replies.

In the end we decided against bidding on that particular property as we found there was planning permission granted on a large site right next to the estate and it is quite built up already.

The painful hunt continues.

Advertisement