Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well done Mayo...finally. Did it harder than it had to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mayo beating the second coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Not polished. But a performance of heart and resilience. Unusual for mayo they showed confidence, self belief and closed out a tight final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Year too soon for this Kerry team as many suspected. They won't be stopping Dublin this year. Maybe in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Only winners today are dubs
    They'll hammer either team and a combination of both back to back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo beating the second coming

They did it very well. Kerry still wobbly in the last ten minutes, got the goals in the first half.
    Great strong finish by Mayo, was a bit wasteful but they owned the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Stoner wrote: »
    Mayo .... but they owned the second half

Kerry didn't seem to have the energy to keep up the manic work rate and pressing in the middle third and looked a different team after the break.

brinty wrote: »
    Only winners today are dubs
    They'll hammer either team and a combination of both back to back

They won't be hammering Mayo I would think. I saw enough in that second half today to suggest that they will be the main opposition again this year.
    Hopefully they manage to stay in the bloody thing long enough this year to sow it into the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Mayo4Sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Mayo4Sam

No

robbiezero wrote:
    Hopefully they manage to stay in the bloody thing long enough this year to sow it into the Dubs.

True. I just couldn't see the Galway team as they are set up now winning the game I just watched, or the way it was won. Even though they have Mayo's number head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

threeball wrote: »
    Another toothless mayo team. Surely at this stage they should go a bit game of thrones and just take children at birth and train them on nothing else but scoring and forward play. An army of unsullied scoring machines.

Get that right fkin up you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

True. I just couldn't see the Galway team as they are set up now winning the game I just watched, or the way it was won. Even though they have Mayo's number head to head.

It is interesting. They do seem to have our number in Connacht (hopefully we can change that this year), but when it comes to high intensity, latter stages matches in the championship, I still think they're not at the right pitch. Like when I think of some of the Dublin/Mayo matches of the last number of years in the championship (2015 drawn semi-final, 2016, 2017 finals), I think Galway would get eaten alive in matches of that intensity. I'm all open to being proven wrong this year! :D

On the match that just passed, it was interesting to hear how far backwards James O'Donoghue seems to have gone. Injuries unfortunately seem to have gotten the better of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No hard luck stories. The better team won.

Disappointed after such a good League campaign to come away empty handed.

On paper we had a better team than the Mayo game in Tralee, but it wasn't to be.

Fantastic debut for James Carr and Lee Keegan did a great job on Seánie Sé.

Tommy Walsh's lack of pace exposed in Croke Park.

Dara Moynihan was a massive loss at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

Get that right fkin up you :D

What, ye're still toothless. Kicked about 15 wides and typical mayo possession normally hovers around 98% so if you think anythings changed good luck to you. Kerry just showed that their defence haven't moved on at all since last year. Good win today but ye should have walked away with it rather than biting your fingernails in injury time as per usual.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    It is interesting. They do seem to have our number in Connacht (hopefully we can change that this year), but when it comes to high intensity, latter stages matches in the championship, I still think they're not at the right pitch. Like when I think of some of the Dublin/Mayo matches of the last number of years in the championship (2015 drawn semi-final, 2016, 2017 finals), I think Galway would get eaten alive in matches of that intensity. I'm all open to being proven wrong this year! :D

On the match that just passed, it was interesting to hear how far backwards James O'Donoghue seems to have gone. Injuries unfortunately seem to have gotten the better of him.

With the current tactics Galway are a threat to no-one at the business end of the year. A change of tactics and they could be a serious team. Unfortunately the chance to do so was pissed away by the management team in the league this year. They'll probably make super 8's but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

What, ye're still toothless. Kicked about 15 wides and typical mayo possession normally hovers around 98% so if you think anythings changed good luck to you. Kerry just showed that their defence haven't moved on at all since last year. Good win today but ye should have walked away with it rather than biting your fingernails in injury time as per usual.

There’s always the begrudges. Just say Congratulations Mayo and move on, stop bashing the team and pretending they should’ve beaten Kerry by more in a National League Division 1 Final. Dublin lost to Kerry in Tralee also, are they toothless?

Carol25 wrote: »
    There’s always the begrudges. Just say Congratulations Mayo and move on, stop bashing the team and pretending they should’ve beaten Kerry by more in a National League Division 1 Final. Dublin lost to Kerry in Tralee also, are they toothless?

Yes Carol, lets all join a discussion forum so we can pat one another on the back with plaudits whenever a team wins. God forbid that we analyse a game or identify weaknesses in a team. I must begrudge my own county too as I've literally just pointed out their deficiencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

PressRun wrote: »
    Like when I think of some of the Dublin/Mayo matches of the last number of years in the championship (2015 drawn semi-final, 2016, 2017 finals), I think Galway would get eaten alive in matches of that intensity.

They would.

Its fitness for me. I think its safe to assume (given the record) Horan prioritises the league a bit more than Holmes/Connelly/Rochford. Mayo looked able to attack and defend in numbers in today whereas they definitely weren't able for that under Rochford at this time of year.

We'll know definitively if Mayo stuff Galway in Connacht this year.

That blessing from the pope is working already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

corny wrote: »
    They would.

Its fitness for me. I think its safe to assume (given the record) Horan prioritises the league a bit more than Holmes/Connelly/Rochford. Mayo looked able to attack and defend in numbers in today whereas they definitely weren't able for that under Rochford at this time of year.

We'll know definitively if Mayo stuff Galway in Connacht this year.

Unlikely I'd say. They might win but it'll be close either way. Galway won't mind Mayo winning the league as it gets the hype train going again. Worst thing would be Galway sleep walking into that game with everyone saying they are favourites to win it because they have won 7 on the trot against them. That's when you usually come unstuck in that fixture. All the attention will be on Mayo now again but sure they have the Rossies first which will be a tough game in it's own right.

Kerry still look a bit lightweight in defence and midfield. Moran will help in midfield but the backs are not much better than they were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Unlikely I'd say. They might win but it'll be close either way. Galway won't mind Mayo winning the league as it gets the hype train going again. Worst thing would be Galway sleep walking into that game with everyone saying they are favourites to win it because they have won 7 on the trot against them. That's when you usually come unstuck in that fixture. All the attention will be on Mayo now again but sure they have the Rossies first which will be a tough game in it's own right.

Kerry still look a bit lightweight in defence and midfield. Moran will help in midfield but the backs are not much better than they were last year.

I think you're overplaying the hiding in the long grass stuff. Those days are gone for most inter county teams, especially the better ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Surprised they're opening Croke Park for the division 3 final next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Surprised they're opening Croke Park for the division 3 final next weekend.

Part of a triple header with the schools finals that would have been on there regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The ref was very poor today, one of the worst to step in to Croke park for both teams, the amount of jersey pulling and off the ball blocking and a load of yellow cards for continuous fouling and the mark is a joke. What does it bring to game only to slow it up more. The game is becoming more like Aussie rules and so much back passing of the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The ref was very poor today, one of the worst to step in to Croke park for both teams, the amount of jersey pulling and off the ball blocking and a load of yellow cards for continuous fouling and the mark is a joke. What does it bring to game only to slow it up more. The game is becoming more like Aussie rules and so much back passing of the ball.

I think you could say this about every referee this weekend
    In the meath match he was awful... Wouldn't make up his mind on the mark at all and left players unsure as to keep playing or not.
    Players should've been gone before O'Shea today and how Michael Murphy stayed in all 70 minutes yesterday I'd beyond me. In fact referee look awestruck about Murphy at the throw in and Murphy played on it all game long and more power to him for that.
    Two clothesline tackles a yellow for first nothing for the second. I know he's a big gangly lump bigger than most but tackles around the neck twice is a yellow card offence and sending off but referred was afraid to do it.

I think there's a huge gap between the top three to five referees (who weren't in action this weekend) and everyone else. Gough,coldrick,Lane and even mcquillan wouldve had better control of those games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Another toothless mayo team. Surely at this stage they should go a bit game of thrones and just take children at birth and train them on nothing else but scoring and forward play. An army of unsullied scoring machines.

this fella looks a bit stupid again, mighty game of football today, better than the hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

And not a dub or nordie in sight :)

I thought it was a reasonable game, and great finish,

Didn't see what provoked the incident at the end, but could make an educated guess. They were never gracious losers.

this fella looks a bit stupid again, mighty game of football today, better than the hurling

Who said it wasn't a good game. You think that Mayo kicking 15 wides is anything other than an indictment of their forwards. Will they will an all ireland kicking 15 wides. If you do theres only one lad that'll look stupid.
    BTW i already said the hurling was crap to watch.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    And not a dub or nordie in sight :)

I thought it was a reasonable game, and great finish,

Didn't see what provoked the incident at the end, but could make an educated guess. They were never gracious losers.

Might have been Mayo taking a leaf out of Dublins book at the end of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

robbiezero wrote: »

I've only seen three incidents at end of games similar to today, and the common denominator in all three was one of the teams who lost today :)

I've only seen three incidents at end of games similar to today, and the common denominator in all three was one of the teams who lost today :)

They did the same in the league when they lost a few weeks ago.

If Mayo and Galway were to face off on a dry day in August in Croke Park, I would fancy Mayo to win comfortably every time, but a dogfight in Connacht seems to even things up a bit more, also Mayo tend to shoot themselves in the foot v them with red cards etc.
    This year they can't meet until the Connacht final so even if it doesn't go Mayos way, it wont be a long route through the qualifiers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

And the Dubs didn't start any "incident" after losing in Tralee?? ;)

Mind don't fall off the high horse.

Who said it wasn't a good game. You think that Mayo kicking 15 wides is anything other than an indictment of their forwards. Will they will an all ireland kicking 15 wides. If you do theres only one lad that'll look stupid.
    BTW i already said the hurling was crap to watch.

It's not like there hasn't been enough times to have a go at this Mayo team. Today they outplayed a good Kerry team and got over the finish line, while still giving the neutral an exciting game. Is there any need to have a go?

The forwards weren't that bad either. They scored 2-9 of our 3-11. Considering Carr, Cohen, Boland and Tracey have had feck all game time for us in Croke Park, that's a very respectable return.

I have no idea who started it today, but it seems a silly thing for a team who are losing to do and a somewhat smart if cynical thing for the team that is winning.
    It could well have been Kerry that started it, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Why would Kerry start that messing
    It was obvious the mayo boys started pinning them to the ground

It's not like there hasn't been enough times to have a go at this Mayo team. Today they outplayed a good Kerry team and got over the finish line, while still giving the neutral an exciting game. Is there any need to have a go?

The forwards weren't that bad either. They scored 2-9 of our 3-11. Considering Carr, Cohen, Boland and Tracey have had feck all game time for us in Croke Park, that's a very respectable return.

What I said about Mayo was about 10 mins into the game and is a relevant point regardless of the result. Others then brought it up at the end of the game as if to say, look they won, no problem here. So I didn't have a go after the game. I've always supported them in any all Ireland they were in but the same issues still exist.

robbiezero wrote:

From 2012..... wait!

• Advertisement

What I said about Mayo was about 10 mins into the game and is a relevant point regardless of the result. Others then brought it up at the end of the game as if to say, look they won, no problem here. So I didn't have a go after the game. I've always supported them in any all Ireland they were in but the same issues still exist.

You're a little harsh on the forwards imo but I was the one who bumped your post in the first place so that's fair enough :D

If Mayo and Galway were to face off on a dry day in August in Croke Park, I would fancy Mayo to win comfortably every time, but a dogfight in Connacht seems to even things up a bit more, also Mayo tend to shoot themselves in the foot v them with red cards etc.
    This year they can't meet until the Connacht final so even if it doesn't go Mayos way, it wont be a long route through the qualifiers for them.

Yeah it must be down to the pitch alright.

Yeah it must be down to the pitch alright.

Pitch and time of year. Rochford seemed to aim to peak Mayo later in the year which was a bit of risky strategy and saw them almost knocked out by the likes of Cork, Roscommon and even Derry.
    They are simply a better team than Galway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You wrote this at halftime :rolleyes: another Galway man lauding a Mayo loss at half time.... :D

Pitch and time of year. Rochford seemed to aim to peak Mayo later in the year which was a bit of risky strategy and saw them almost knocked out by the likes of Cork, Roscommon and even Derry.
    They are simply a better team than Galway.

Ah yes time of year as well of course. Well they should have no problem beating us then after the 7 fluke wins.

Well they should have no problem beating us then.

Hopefully. The less I see of Galway the better.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    You wrote this at halftime :rolleyes: another Galway man lauding a Mayo loss at half time.... :D

Ya come back to me when this set of forwards win you an all Ireland. I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ya come back to me when this set of forwards win you an all Ireland. I won't hold my breath.

While I understand where you’re coming from , you could also easily argue that you won’t lose many AI finals scoring 3-11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Funnily enough I still think Galway have a great chance in Connacht. Their putrid, negative, anti-football style of play is suited to boggy grounds like McHale Park. As usual it won't get them far in Croker though. It's almost like two different championships at this stage, it doesn't seem to matter any more how you get to the last 8, as long as you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Funnily enough I still think Galway have a great chance in Connacht. Their putrid, negative, anti-football style of play is suited to boggy grounds like McHale Park. As usual it won't get them far in Croker though. It's almost like two different championships at this stage, it doesn't seem to matter any more how you get to the last 8, as long as you get there.

But it does matter how you get to The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages (some folks call it the Super 8s, I calls it
    The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages)

Consider this

The Connacht champions go into a group with Lenister champs, Munster and Ulster runners up or their conquerer.

The Connacht runners up, if they win round 4, go into a group with Munster champs, Ulster champs and Leinster runners up or their conquerer.

So from a Connacht POV the former looks a much easier route to a semi final, plus you avoid the Lenister champion in that semi final, thus it's a better route to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Galways gameplan works just fine, regardless of pitch quality, if other teams let them dictate the terms of engagement.

Dublin brushed them aside in Croke Park because they set the pattern for each match.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement