Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

grbear wrote: »
    Galways gameplan works just fine, regardless of pitch quality, if other teams let them dictate the terms of engagement.

Dublin brushed them aside in Croke Park because they set the pattern for each match.

Id add the facet that this is harder to do in wind and rain, and it seems to be always windy and raining in the west when they meet.
    Those days suit defenders, it is easier to get turnovers, to spoil attacks etc. therefore those tactics tend to work better. It also works well against mayos style, although mayo should be able to change it up too.
    Re the dubs, look at the 2016 drawn final in such conditions, the dubs were lucky to get the draw at all and were turned over again and again, patterns or no patterns.

threeball wrote: »
    Ya come back to me when this set of forwards win you an all Ireland. I won't hold my breath.

Another galway man who thinks he can talk with authority on all irelands despite not winning one for the guts of two decades. Are ye fellas for real at all?

How about, come back when your forwards win a knockout championship game in croke park - because that has almost been two decades also...

The height of Walsh's ambition is connacht with the setup he has. It is ironic that a guy who seems to speak with such authority on all irelands, cant see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Another galway man who thinks he can talk with authority on all irelands despite not winning one for the guts of two decades. Are ye fellas for real at all?

And your own county have won how many All Irelands in the past two decades?

Considering all the know-it-all all nonsense you come up with, that has to be the most idiotic post yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Beffs wrote:
    And your own county have won how many All Irelands in the past two decades?

Considering all the know-it-all all nonsense you come up with, that has to be the most idiotic post yet.

Now now don't forget the moral victory all irelands they've won over the years...

Typical mayo, talks a great game until they're proven wrong with facts ... Them typical retirement of well what have you done lately and then when you say you've won an all Ireland in the last 70 years they get in a huff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Galway still dining out on an 18 year old win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

kerry37 wrote: »
    And the Dubs didn't start any "incident" after losing in Tralee?? ;)

Mind don't fall off the high horse.

I saw what happened and its happened in three games Kerry played in this year that I know of.

Of course that would never happen, just like bating the head off Tommy murphy in 1938, beating up Armagh in 1953, Heffo in 1955, Nicholas Murphy taken out at throw in in 2009.

Only high horse is the one down your way that would have people think you are fkn angels, When other teams give it back - Galway in 60s, Down, Dubs, Tyrone, Armagh you get all upset :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I saw what happened and its happened in three games Kerry played in this year that I know of.

Of course that would never happen, just like bating the head off Tommy murphy in 1938, beating up Armagh in 1953, Heffo in 1955, Nicholas Murphy taken out at throw in in 2009.

Only high horse is the one down your way that would have people think you are fkn angels, When other teams give it back - Galway in 60s, Down, Dubs, Tyrone, Armagh you get all upset :)

Kerry wouldn't like that, they were just throwing down a marker ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway still dining out on an 18 year old win

Well in fairness it's preferable to dining out on losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah, my annual Kerry seethe begins. How I've missed thee.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

:pac: triggered.

• Advertisement

Is it? 20 odd years ago? Is it any different to 60 years ago at that stage? If mayo fans are trying to dine out on losses and near misses, it is still more respectable than kidding yourself into thinking winning 20 odd years ago still matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is it? 20 odd years ago? Is it any different to 60 years ago at that stage? If mayo fans are trying to dine out on losses and near misses, it is still more respectable than kidding yourself into thinking winning 20 odd years ago still matters.

Dining out of losses however they came about is a no no for me.

I'd agree that Galway are still dining out on 2001 though.

And they will still be this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Mayo have now won a national trophy more recently than Galway, by a margin of 18 years. And I'm quite sure we'll soon have won Sam more recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

I was nearly missing the incredible overconfidence of Mayo fans after winning a couple of games. It's truly a wonderful tradition.

Typical mayo response
    Cover up for their own failure by dismissing everyone else's achievements
    You've done nothing in the last 20 years which galway haven't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

brinty wrote: »
    Typical mayo response

You can argue that but there is a clear distinction between the drive and ambition of both teams over the last few years to deliver a national title.
    You have to make the final in order to win any national title.

Mayo may never win SAM but at least they are pushing hard in the latter end to try to win it. You cannot say the same with Galway who have folded on the last few trips to CP. The race only kicks off from the 1/4's/super 8's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

Typical mayo response

Despite all the evidence down through the years that they have a major problem converting all the chances they make they still deny there's a problem and try to divert attention from it with the well what have you done lately argument. It'll be the same story this year. COC will kick his 21 yard frees and miss the ones from 30 out yet get lauded as one of the greats and another all Ireland will go a begging

You can argue that but there is a clear distinction between the drive and ambition of both teams over the last few years to deliver a national title.

Mayo may never win SAM but at least they are pushing hard in the latter end to try to win it. You cannot say the same with Galway who have folded on the last few trips to CP. The race only kicks off from the 1/4's/super 8's.

What has this got to do with the original point that Mayo struggle to kick the ball over the bar and it's the reason you still haven't won an all Ireland. Dragging galway into it is just diversionary. We've had our hands up for years saying we're not good enough and won't be this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

At least the majority of Galway people can remember winning an all ireland and many of us were there in 98 and 01 to see them win the all ireland and experience it. Fact is it will be Galway who will do it when its done by a team from the west again. I was at the league final in 01 when Mayo last won the league and they were going to dominate football from that day on. Leagues are not all Ireland titles, mayo people don't have the bottle to win an all Ireland, Galway people do.

• Advertisement

crusier wrote: »
    At least the majority of Galway people can remember winning an all ireland and many of us were there in 98 and 01 to see them win the all ireland and experience it. Fact is it will be Galway who will do it when its done by a team from the west again. I was at the league final in 01 when Mayo last won the league and they were going to dominate football from that day on. Leagues are not all Ireland titles, mayo people don't have the bottle to win an all Ireland, Galway people do.

Well recent history would suggest that Galway don't have the bottle to do anything outside of Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Well recent history would suggest that Galway don't have the bottle to do anything outside of Connacht.

That comment from Crusier is utter BS as usual. There is no point engaging with such a low level debater. The line which you highlighted is a perfect example of his no nothing tactics. There are plenty of Galway people in here who can talk football at an adult level.

Exactly. You get these sneery kinda comments 'haw haw typical mayo fans', regardless of the team doing something good or bad. But they never seem to ask themselves what is typical for galway these days? Dour out a connacht title, then fold like a house of cards at the business end with their fans not bothering to show up? It seems to be just a complete lack of self awareness on their part. Still no win in a championship knockout game in croke park? Hardly a position to be sneering about typical mayo, or typical anyone for that matter.

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    I was nearly missing the incredible overconfidence of Mayo fans after winning a couple of games. It's truly a wonderful tradition.

God I fúcking love championship season. :)

Also, if I could thank this multiple times...

threeball wrote: »
    What has this got to do with the original point that Mayo struggle to kick the ball over the bar and it's the reason you still haven't won an all Ireland. Dragging galway into it is just diversionary. We've had our hands up for years saying we're not good enough and won't be this year either.

Do they though? They beat teams who are expected to beat them in big games. They go within a point of Dublin and draw with them - something nobody else can do. The reality is you cant do those things with bad forwards. Mayo have two double ypoty and a poty in their forward line. Who else has that?

An objective observer might argue that if they dont have the forwards, then what is the story with these teams that supposedly do and are getting hidings off them? Dont have the backs? Surely that is overly simplistic.

As for admitting you arent good enough, that is all well and good when you are well off the top team. I freely admit, as would any decent mayo fan, that dublin have a better team than we do. The thing is, the better team doesnt always win. We are outsiders, as we have always been and will be for the forseeable future, but when we are getting within a point of them, when pundits are lamenting bad calls in games, when you are that close, what kind of a fool of a fan would say they arent good enough? It is just a disingenuous point.

• Advertisement

Can we nip this nonsense in the bud?

There's no doubt that this Mayo team would have won multiple all Ireland's in any other era, and I still maintain that if ye won in 2013 which was on the cards, ye would have another couple since.

But this pissing contest is pointless.

Can we just revel in the way that mayo dismantled the second coming in the second half?

Glorious.

Can we nip this nonsense in the bud?

There's no doubt that this Mayo team would have won multiple all Ireland's in any other era, and I still maintain that if ye won in 2013 which was on the cards, ye would have another couple since.

But this pissing contest is pointless.

Can we just revel in the way that mayo dismantled the second coming in the second half?

Glorious.

Surely they were the third coming ?

The second coming were the team that beat Dublin by a point in the 2017 league final.

By the way the fourth coming will be the ones that hammer all around them during the Munster championship, you may also hear them called by their other name, "the team most likely to stop Dublin doing 5 in a row".

You'll recognize them.
    They will be 99% made up of the guys that failed to beat Mayo this league season, twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Surely they were the third coming ?

The second coming were the team that beat Dublin by a point in the 2017 league final.

By the way the fourth coming will be the ones that hammer all around them during the Munster championship, you may also hear them called by their other name, "the team most likely to stop Dublin doing 5 in a row".

You'll recognize them.
    They will be 99% made up of the guys that failed to beat Mayo this league season, twice.

In fairness most Kerry fans are very realistic about their prospects in 2019. A semi final spot would be a very good season.

I doubt anybody will get carried away by Munster performances this year, I don’t think anybody fully understood how far Cork had fallen in 2018. The hype was mainly coming from outside the county iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

what are the average annual methane and co2 emissions of a cow?

Also how much land would one cow take up?

What would be the output of vegetables grown on that same portion of land?

LoveMeSexy wrote:

In the past I was hopeful that Mayo would win the Championship, but over the
    years I actually came to dislike Mayo. Why, simply because of the constant whingeing they have engaged in over the last no of years. It's as if Mayo people think they are deserving of a title.

Do they though? They beat teams who are expected to beat them in big games. They go within a point of Dublin and draw with them - something nobody else can do. The reality is you cant do those things with bad forwards. Mayo have two double ypoty and a poty in their forward line. Who else has that?

An objective observer might argue that if they dont have the forwards, then what is the story with these teams that supposedly do and are getting hidings off them? Dont have the backs? Surely that is overly simplistic.

As for admitting you arent good enough, that is all well and good when you are well off the top team. I freely admit, as would any decent mayo fan, that dublin have a better team than we do. The thing is, the better team doesnt always win. We are outsiders, as we have always been and will be for the forseeable future, but when we are getting within a point of them, when pundits are lamenting bad calls in games, when you are that close, what kind of a fool of a fan would say they arent good enough? It is just a disingenuous point.

They kicked 15 wides in the league final. Huge wide tally against Galway, Kerry and pretty much every team they played in the league.
    If possession won games mayo would be going for 5 in a row, not Dublin. The relentless running style creates oodles of chances and mayo just don't convert. That's the fault of the forwards. It's always been your problem and you can bury your head in the sand all you want but until it's addressed you'll never win an all Ireland.

You can also spend your time focusing on Galway and how you're better than us which you were until recently and might be again this year but in reality for all the huff and puff, until last Sunday you had exactly the same amount of titles in the last 18 years. Zero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why is Croke Park backwards? Just to show the used stand on camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Why is Croke Park backwards? Just to show the used stand on camera?

Probably

Looked like the lower Hogan was the only stand opened for the 3 matches today.

Should be about 2-06 to no score at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Should be about 2-06 to no score at this stage.

Wesmeath haunted to be only 1 point down after 16 minutes.

If Laois had brought their shooting boots they'd be nearly home and hosed.

Absolute BS
    If my granny had balls and all that
    At the end of the day they didn't get it done as usual.
    Whinge all you like but facts are facts
    89,96,97,04,06 and is it three this decade...
    Not won one of them

It's just not good enough

I've seen it landed at Waterford doorstep if only the greatest hurling team of all time weren't around in Kilkenny they'd have won multiple all irelands. Simple truth Waterford weren't good enough to beat that team when it mattered the most and the same goes for Mayo.

Moral victories don't provide Celtic crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The phrase "kicking it away" applies perfectly to Laois.
    0-5 from the amount of possession and chances they have had is shameful stuff.
    Westmeath after a dire opening 15 finally settled into the game and will be well pleased to be 2 points up at half-time.

The shooting boots were definitely left back in Portlaoise.

In fairness most Kerry fans are very realistic about their prospects in 2019. A semi final spot would be a very good season.

I doubt anybody will get carried away by Munster performances this year, I don’t think anybody fully understood how far Cork had fallen in 2018. The hype was mainly coming from outside the county iirc

Isn't this the go to statement after ye are sent back home with your tails between your legs?

Absolute BS
    Not won one of them

I've seen it landed at Waterford doorstep if only the greatest hurling team of all time weren't around in Kilkenny they'd have won multiple all irelands. Simple truth Waterford weren't good enough to beat that team when it mattered the most and the same goes for Mayo.

"IF"

I'm also a Dub. No whinging here sham.

Absolute BS
    Not won one of them

Bad analogy.

Waterford never got within an asses roar of Kilkenny when Kilkenny were in their pomp.

Mayo on the other hand lost three finals by a point, one a replay, to a Dublin team considered one of the best of all time.

• Advertisement

Bad analogy.

Waterford never got within an asses roar of Kilkenny when Kilkenny were in their pomp.

Mayo on the other hand lost three finals by a point, one a replay, to a Dublin team considered one of the best of all time.

Doesn't really matter as the teams in 10yrs time will likely be better than now just as the ones now are better than 20yrs ago. Fitness etc moves on. None of those teams got it done when they had their chance. Lose by 20pts or lose by a point, they still lost. There are no moral victories when it comes to all Irelands.

Ger Egan once again proving himself to be one of the best forwards in the game. Not too many playing at that level who would be contenders for place on one of the top teams. He would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

the galway fellas with their usual rubbish,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Isn't this the go to statement after ye are sent back home with your tails between your legs?

I seem to remember both Joe Brolly and Ciaran Whelan fawning over Kerry both on telly and in the papers last year while the likes of Daragh OSé was far more reserved and felt they didn’t have the pieces yet. I don’t think we’ll see that this year after that league final performance and the let down last year. That’s a good thing as it will allow Kerry to develop without that weight of expectation.

Anybody from Kerry expecting an All Ireland this year needs their head examined. The team is too young and inexperienced and we have problems in too many positions. The team is in full ‘tear it down’ mode as they say in American sports. Couple of years away yet IMO.

Ger Egan once again proving himself to be one of the best forwards in the game. Not too many playing at that level who would be contenders for place on one of the top teams. He would be.

Where are his celtic crosses though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

crusier wrote: »

Funnily enough, I don't recall anyone saying that. It's almost like you're making it up.

Where are his celtic crosses though?

He will never have one. He is good at what he does, and keeps doing it.

One can do no more :)

the galway fellas with their usual rubbish,

Agreed. Do they actually believe that old spiel though? Id have my doubts. Its probably easier to put up this hardline front than to give a rival county who they dont particularly like, credit or praise. Ive no interest in getting it to be honest, but it is interesting to see the lengths they go to to avoid doing it.

He will never have one. He is good at what he does, and keeps doing it.

One can do no more :)

Pfff, sounds like he just wasnt good enough to get the job done. 🙄🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well Dublin, Donegal and Kerry have All-Ireland winners playing for them. I think that counts for a bit more than other baubles.

Mayo have won poty, ypoty and All-Stars to beat the band. The only goalie to kick away an All-Ireland got an All-Star too. It means nothing at the end of the day. Mayo have been found wanting in Croke Park when there are really high stakes. Mentally, they fold. Unbelievable resilience to keep coming back every year, but resilience isn't the same thing as winning. There was plenty of resilience at the Alamo among the Texan defenders, but they still lost. Ditto many other times in history. Mental resilience does not equal a winning mentality. Mayo need to shake off the mental tag of gallant and resilient losers. Somehow, I don't think the current set of players can do that. They just aren't good enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement