Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent out Room During the Week

Options
  • 27-01-2019 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering where you would advertise a room which would be available during the week?

I have heard some people are renting out room for just a few nights during week, like Sunday to Thursday for people working in Dublin but don't want to commute.

Does this go on? where could you advertise it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I am just wondering where you would advertise a room which would be available during the week?

I have heard some people are renting out room for just a few nights during week, like Sunday to Thursday for people working in Dublin but don't want to commute.

Does this go on? where could you advertise it?

Thanks

Daft.ie yes it goes on for sure, See it regularly on daft.ie how popular it is.... no idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Are you near a college or university?

They normally have a dedicated website for their students, you can advertise for free and Sun-Thur might suit s lot of students.

Edit: using a college accomodation site may mean your details are not broadcast to the whole world like daft would be. The ads are restricted to students to view.

Is it a lodger type setup in your own home? If so you can set up whatever terms that suits you. Just make sure your clear at the outset of what the story is
    ie: if they need to stay over the odd weekend .. what then? is that ok? will you charge extra etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, it definitely goes on. Some people list 'em on Daft, though I don't know if that technically violates their terms and conditions, and they don't have any built-in option for specifying partial-week rentals in any case, so you'd just have to make it very clear in the description (and when talking to interested lodgers, since most people can't be arsed to actually read anything).

Another option might be to AirBnB it, assuming it's a room in your own primary residence (otherwise the new legislation will put the kibosh on that plan). Of course you'd likely be getting one-off folks on holidays that way rather than longer-term professional lodgers, and you also might not be as successful if you're not located in a good spot for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Daft.ie all the way. Airbnb would be subject to tax even under the current rules.
    On tax, don't forget you still need to declare RAR income including bills, it's just not taxed under 14K.

• Advertisement

Your full address on boards is not a great idea IMHO. I'd remove your mobile number too, just get them to email a bit about themselves.

Your full address on boards is not a great idea IMHO.

wasnt me but i didnt realise there was a full address there !:eek:

Your full address on boards is not a great idea IMHO. I'd remove your mobile number too, just get them to email a bit about themselves.
    wasnt me but i didnt realise there was a full address there !:eek:

Sorry confused you with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Getdigs.ie is the only place for week day rentals. Try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Ok I did try to put it on daft and got a long email saying I couldn't ask for professionals...

Don't know how else you would describe it, I doubt an unemployed person would want to rent a room in Dublin for a few days during the week

The person would need a car, so that why I wouldn't look at students

• Advertisement

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Ok I did try to put it on daft and got a long email saying I couldn't ask for professionals...

Don't know how else you would describe it, I doubt an unemployed person would want to rent a room in Dublin for a few days during the week

The person would need a car, so that why I wouldn't look at students

Seriously? Never heard of that before i put that word in my add before had no problem , what exactly did the email say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Putting "professionals only" or similar in an ad is effectively code for "No HAP tenants", which is illegal discrimination in many cases. Presumably Daft are cracking down on that sort of thing and even though that law doesn't generally apply to rooms rented out of the landlord's own home, they are probably erring on the side of a general prohibition rather than trying to distinguish whether the listing in question is covered or not. Resubmit without using that phrasing (or anything else that would potentially be discriminatory) and just make a clear note that it's a Sunday/Monday through Friday rental only.

dennyk wrote: »
    Putting "professionals only" or similar in an ad is effectively code for "No HAP tenants", which is illegal discrimination in many cases. Presumably Daft are cracking down on that sort of thing and even though that law doesn't generally apply to rooms rented out of the landlord's own home, they are probably erring on the side of a general prohibition rather than trying to distinguish whether the listing in question is covered or not. Resubmit without using that phrasing (or anything else that would potentially be discriminatory) and just make a clear note that it's a Sunday/Monday through Friday rental only.

Would suit white-collar, executive, non-manual person(s):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

"May suit worker or student who travels back to see family at weekends"

Don't describe the person your looking for. Just let them tell you in the email they send you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Most will just ignore what you put in email.

A lot of people just block reply to all ads and don’t read the ad detail. Those are the ones you want to ignore.

I’ve advertised a house share where there is 5 lads and specified male only but received high number of enquires from girls.

Most will just ignore what you put in email.

A lot of people just block reply to all ads and don’t read the ad detail. Those are the ones you want to ignore.

I’ve advertised a house share where there is 5 lads and specified male only but received high number of enquires from girls.

misogynist ya :P you need to be "woke":pac:

Advertisement