Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal Walk

• 27-01-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all just want to highlight the amount of random attacks that are happening along the canal bank between Abbeylock and clare street.

Lights and cameras dont seem to bother this pack of wild animals.

A teenager minding his own business was the victim of a particularly vicious attack yesterday evening around 7pm by a group of 10-15 youths who broke a hurley over his head.

There was another attack earlier in the week which was also in the leader.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Typically you will never see a guard on patrol in areas such as this. I'd never run that route or that UL path after dark...why take the chance, unfortunately.

They know full well where the more troublesome kids are, there aren't dozens of groups of them.

On the other hand, you do have to admire the amount of speed vans and traffic cops around the city in recent times...they can work when they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Typically you will never see a guard on patrol in areas such as this. I'd never run that route or that UL path after dark...why take the chance, unfortunately.

I cycle/run along the UL path morning, noon and night. I frequently return from the pool or library at around 10pm. Have been doing so for the last 3 years at least. Never once I have had anything anything untoward happen to me along the path, not once. Yes there is often kids hanging around but they have never once done anything to me except for the odd smart remark aimed at me which I just ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Foolish to walk that path at night half of the incidents don't get reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

panda100 wrote: »
    I cycle/run along the UL path morning, noon and night. I frequently return from the pool or library at around 10pm. Have been doing so for the last 3 years at least. Never once I have had anything anything untoward happen to me along the path, not once. Yes there is often kids hanging around but they have never once done anything to me except for the odd smart remark aimed at me which I just ignore.

Fair enough, I just never chanced it, is there many people using it at night?

I'd be inclined to think also, they may be more likely to do damage to a guy quicker...again, I could just be over thinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Fair enough, I just never chanced it, is there many people using it at night?

I'd be inclined to think also, they may be more likely to do damage to a guy quicker...again, I could just be over thinking it.

Usually a couple of people walking their dogs and that's about it. It could be that they might target a guy more. Generally the kids I see hanging around are all bravado and no bite. They might yell something stupid at you to impress their mates but there in no way threatening.

• Advertisement

Thats your experience and nobody should have to tolerate comments etc but unfortunately people have been left with permanent life changing injuries in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Used to run along the UL path often until one day I was running along passed a bunch of youngsters and got a rock thrown at the back of my head. Luckily enough it didn't do damage but I never ran that route again. Too many young gurriers up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I had a “run in” with a group of about seven scrotes on bikes before Christmas whilst out walking my dog on the Shannon Fields around 8pm. Not a particularly pleasant experience. I rang Henry St and it transpired that the Gardai were already looking for them as they were up to no good out in UL earlier that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just to add my two cents. I regularly (2/3 times a week) run from UL into town and back and have never encountered any trouble. To be fair, I usually run at the "popular times" (mid-week around 4/5pm or weekend mornings) and, usually, there are loads of people out walking/running/cycling. Maybe it doesn't suit, but if you stick to those times, you should be fine in general. Like any city amenity, it will be the subject of anti-social behaviour at certain hours of the evening/night. Best avoid then.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i run and walk that route most days as well. Have often cycled it too and have never experienced any trouble. In fact id recommend it to everyone, its really a beautiful route & away from traffic/cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Have heard of anti social and attacks there last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Often cycle this route and have never had any issues.

I've seen a few small groups drinking cans etc the odd time later at night but never had any hassle.

I understand there has been some issues all the same. Cameras at entry/exit points might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I run it and cycle it very regularly and have done so for years. I've experienced isolated incidents. Once some stones were thrown by young lads from the other side of the canal. I think this kind of group is more likely to attack and rob males their own age. They're generally afraid of adults and will ignore them. So, I do think teenage boys and young male adults should be careful going down there, especially at night.

There's another group who hang out by the Lelia Street access but I think they just want to drink and talk and keep to themselves.

It's a fantastic amenity but we shouldn't be blind to the possibility of it being dangerous to some people at some times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

kilburn wrote: »
    Hi all just want to highlight the amount of random attacks that are happening along the canal bank between Abbeylock and clare street.

Lights and cameras dont seem to bother this pack of wild animals.

A teenager minding his own business was the victim of a particularly vicious attack yesterday evening around 7pm by a group of 10-15 youths who broke a hurley over his head.

There was another attack earlier in the week which was also in the leader.

I think it's good to highlight incidents like this but like others I use it a fair bit and have never felt intimidated or uneasy there. I do think it would be no harm if the garda on the bike did a run through it ever now and then. There's no substitute for policing.

Cllr Crowe on the radio on some of these incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

I walk this every day, twice - for almost twenty years now,( from the railway bridge to town and then back) have noticed an increasing trend of younger ( under 20) lads , and often girls of a similar age drinking under both sides of the Pa Healy Road bridge over the canal. Frequent small fires started under the bridge also, and associated littering etc afterwards. Ive perhaps been lucky in that ive never had any hassle, but I can see how intimidating it is, even if nothing occurs. Summertime Troy's lock can be a magnet for drunkenness also.
    Last summer and summer before ago I saw gardai on cycle patrol here a few times, looks as if that was only temporary - if it happened even once a week at random times it would catch the issue.

Another assault close to the canal on Saturday evening, 2 ambulances had to deal with the misfortune.

Hopefully it will be taken up by the local politicians coming up to the elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

All the lights on the grove island side of the walk are broken or smashed now from the canal head to the pa healy bridge

It’s getting worst so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

kilburn wrote: »
    Another assault close to the canal on Saturday evening, 2 ambulances had to deal with the misfortune.

Hopefully it will be taken up by the local politicians coming up to the elections
    Do you have a link to this story? Just wondering if the attack was unprovoked or if there was some gang fighting at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I've never once have had a problem there, either on the way to UL or to Corbally when running.

Having said that, there is clearly an issue here.

Do you have a link to this story? Just wondering if the attack was unprovoked or if there was some gang fighting at the time.

It was a random unprovoked attack they seem to be targeting males on their own

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/363594/limerick-gardai-issue-appeal-after-teensustains-serious-facial-injuries-in-assault.html

They hassle a lot of students and international students down that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

I think the assault mentioned above ( where the young male sustained facial injuries happened on the Corbally Road (up from the roundabout beyond the garage) - it may very well be some of the same individuals involved however.

topcat72 wrote:
    I think the assault mentioned above ( where the young male sustained facial injuries happened on the Corbally Road (up from the roundabout beyond the garage) - it may very well be some of the same individuals involved however.

More than likely the same pack of teenagers though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I wouldn't have a worry there myself but then again I know the area well.

Why wouldn't you be concerned or worried being from the area is irrelevant to be fair

Feral teens don’t care they will attack ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Maybe a false sense of security but I consider myself fairly streetwise. I've never personally been worried walking down there but perhaps its worse now than it used to be...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Worth mentioning that there have been several incidents relating to dogs being poisoned on this route.

Advertisement