Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada for IT

• 27-01-2019 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering anyone have any experience moving to toronto for IT.

Currently working as an IT support engineer for a large mnc.

My partner is a nurse so we were are planning on maybe going in a year's time. But just wondering is there much difference in the wages
    for IT thann here when factoring in cost of living the currency etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Hi just wondering anyone have any experience moving to toronto for IT.

Currently working as an IT support engineer for a large mnc.

My partner is a nurse so we were are planning on maybe going in a year's time. But just wondering is there much difference in the wages
    for IT thann here when factoring in cost of living the currency etc ?

No idea about difference in wages, I'm in IT too but not a support engineer. Cost of living in Toronto is high afaik, especually rent.

Your partner will find it very hard to work in Canada though. They will need to get their qualifications assessed and it's likely they will need to do some kind of bridging course so that they can register in Canada. If you are serious about moving over, you should get going on this first as the whole process can take a number of years.

http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/canada-outside-ontario/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I moved here as a software engineer and found it easy to get work. I'm not sure about the demand for support roles though. Just a quick google looks like I.T roles are in the $50K CAD range which is around 35K in euro. Rent in Toronto won't get much cheaper than $1500 per month and $2000+ p/m is more the norm.

Example: $50K nets you $3K per month / $1.5K paid every 2 weeks. If your partner was struggling to find work you'd need to use at least half your monthly wage if not more for rent.

We're paying similar rent to back home but instead of being in a kip area we are downtown, have 24hr front desk, swimming pool, gym etc and the street car on our doorstep.

It's more of a lifestyle change you will get instead of a pay increase.

Feel free to pm me any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Ah okay, I was hoping to move and save money.

I see what you mean about the lifestyle though, thanks also for the nursing requirements hopefully we can get that sorted so she can hit the ground running.

Cheers for the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Ah okay, I was hoping to move and save money.

hopefully we can get that sorted so she can hit the ground running.

I was only referring to the situation if you partner could not get work.

Yeah by all means look in to it. If you both get work and choose a reasonable location in Toronto, maybe mid-town or north york you can (1) live in a condo building that is nicer than anything Ireland could offer, prob have an indoor pool and jacuzzi, Gym, BBQ area etc. and you'd pay the same rent as a poxy 1 bed apartment in Inchicore or the likes.
    (2) You will be able to save money if you both work. It's just that the CAD dollar is weak so if you save ~$1000 per month here its only ~600e

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

jme2010 wrote: »
    I was only referring to the situation if you partner could not get work.

Yeah by all means look in to it. If you both get work and choose a reasonable location in Toronto, maybe mid-town or north york you can (1) live in a condo building that is nicer than anything Ireland could offer, prob have an indoor pool and jacuzzi, Gym, BBQ area etc. and you'd pay the same rent as a poxy 1 bed apartment in Inchicore or the likes.
    (2) You will be able to save money if you both work. It's just that the CAD dollar is weak so if you save ~$1000 per month here its only ~600e

Yeah that sound great , be great for a change anyway .currently working out of cork so the prices aren't as bad as Dublin yet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

I moved to Toronto in September and work as an IT Support Engineer. I was on more money back home( level 1 service desk support in a professional services firm for 3 years). My role is similar in terms of phone support but involves a lot of deskside/level 2 work aswell.

In terms of money I'm on a bit less than I was back home, but I'm mainly using this role to help build some Canadian experience which will help when looking for more lucrative jobs. You shouldn't have any problem finding work in IT. Just don't come with the expectation of landing a realy well paying job straight away(it probably does happen some lucky people though). If you've any more questions or anything feel free to PM me.

Advertisement