Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal Feeding

• 27-01-2019 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey,
    We've just finished out our new sheep shed where ewes will have access to ad lib silage down the central passageway.
    Question is does everybody put the meal on top of the silage or do people use the hanging troughs for the meal feeding period?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hey,
    We've just finished out our new sheep shed where ewes will have access to ad lib silage down the central passageway.
    Question is does everybody put the meal on top of the silage or do people use the hanging troughs for the meal feeding period?

There shouldn't be any reason not to put meal on top of the silage, it's a pain to have to move troughs every feeding time.
    Make sure they have 18 inches /hd feeding space for meals otherwise you'll have prolapses and lambing problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any reason not to put meal on top of the silage, it's a pain to have to move troughs every feeding time.
    Make sure they have 18 inches /hd feeding space for meals otherwise you'll have prolapses and lambing problems

Would there be any risk of eye problems feeding meal on top of silage?
    Think I seen someone mentioned it on the cattle side there lately?

(Don’t feed silage to ewes, so I cant say, just asking is all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

i'd prefer to feed nuts than a ration as the finer bits of the ration could fall down through the silage

Advertisement