Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bossdrum wrote: »
    That was when he had the television show as well.
    Surely they can't be paying him that for 1.5 hours per day of radio and i'm not interested in hearing about all the preparation that goes into the show beforehand:rolleyes:

I'd say he is on a fixed amount per year, whether he presents his awful Saturday night tv show or now.

The fact it failed and had to be cancelled doesn't mean his salary was reduced, I would guess.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say he is on a fixed amount per year, whether he presents his awful Saturday night tv show or now.

The fact it failed and had to be cancelled doesn't mean his salary was reduced, I would guess.

Nice work, if you can find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Knew he'd play it!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Knew he'd play it!
    Ugh, I didn't even hear the programme and I know what you're referring to.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tubs played it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Ugh, I didn't even hear the programme and I know what you're referring to.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tubs played it too.

Enlighten me please; didn't hear the show today at all for a change.

Did listen back to the 2 Johnnies from Wednesdays show & thought it was quite good; I am a fan of theirs to be fair.

Say D'Arcy with his own, personal, Podcast is only trotting after them with their Spotify platform exclusivity.

• Advertisement

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Enlighten me please; didn't hear the show today at all for a change.
    It's July 1st, Mundy Thursday.

Oh my, my, my; my, my.

It's July 1st, Mundy Thursday.

Oh my, my, my; my, my.

Awful awful song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭archfi

Another RTE covid monologue that no-one asked for or needs, least of all from this clown.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Jedward are a tonic; like the 2 Johnnies I have a lot of time for both of them but be the Lort D'Arcy can't manage them at all.

He seemed to shunt them in & let them jabber on when he had not one, but two, guest segments rushed in at the end.

The axe thrower must've been fuming; she could barely get a word in edge-ways; didn't quite get point across re encouraging more women to compete, don't even recall a website/Instagram (but maybe that's cos there was D'Arcy, her, Jedward & some lad who likes dips competing for air-time.....dips, bucking dips!!) other than the shed is in Wicklow; she mentioned a World Championships which, other than for Covid, would've been occurring this year (2 yearly cycles/odd number'd years).

Whatever about Jedward (and I'd give them their own show; even the half hour til Drivetime, instead of D'Arcy, but her trying to discuss something kind of serious, like axe throwing & safety & training etc. which would've been interesting, the guy who's tasted 40 Dips so far & has an Instagram dedicated to it; that segment could've waited til after the 4pm Nuacht surely?

And of course he cuts to an ad break, comes back to yer man with the dips & then goes to Nuacht at about 4:02, 4:03pm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Donny Patterson

Hard earned cash?????
    He has some neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who was that gushing luvvie lady on at the end of the show today.

Freaking D’Arcy was almost melting in the fakery of the exchanges.

Brief synopsis….

Everyone was great, fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

happen to be driving today and caught the segment with Amanda Browne , even the WOKE to the max Darcy seemed taken a back when Miss Browne claimed there was "no other person involved in the making of her baby " , this was after Ray asked about what she might say when her child asked about its father in years to come

found it quite chilling to listen to this lady , almost as if she delighted in erasing the role of a father in bringing a child into the world

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Miss Browne claimed there was "no other person involved in the making of her baby " , this was after Ray asked about what she might say when her child asked about its father in years to come

found it quite chilling to listen to this lady , almost as if she delighted in erasing the role of a father in bringing a child into the world
    It's an interesting question to ask, what would you say if the child of a sperm-donor asked about her biological, but non-involved father? That's a good question.

As to whether it's "chilling", the sperm donor has presumably, already chosen/ consented to help a couple, without wanting to be part of that child's life.

It's hardly "chilling", is it?

Aside from any genetic illnesses, biology is irrelevant if we maintain that biological pre-determination does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's an interesting question to ask, what would you say if the child of a sperm-donor asked about her biological, but non-involved father? That's a good question.

As to whether it's "chilling", the sperm donor has presumably, already chosen/ consented to help a couple, without wanting to be part of that child's life.

It's hardly "chilling", is it?

Aside from any genetic illnesses, biology is irrelevant if we maintain that biological pre-determination does not exist.

Darcy,s question was fine and what you would expect , his reaction to her answer was telling however , even for someone as WOKE as the bould Ray , her answer was a little troubling or at least it came across that way

she answered the question in a pointedly ideological manner , effectively erasing the concept of two parents being involved in the creation of a baby , she deliberately wanted to dismiss the necessity for fathers

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

Ray just claimed that he was the very first person to raise mental health matters in this country.
    Is he for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Darcy,s question was fine and what you would expect , his reaction to her answer was telling however , even for someone as WOKE as the bould Ray , her answer was a little troubling or at least it came across that way

she answered the question in a pointedly ideological manner , effectively erasing the concept of two parents being involved in the creation of a baby , she deliberately wanted to dismiss the necessity for fathers

When she was asked what she might say to the child when older seeking info on his dad, she replied along lines that she hadn't thought about that yet!! Some airhead.

D'Arcy today continues seamlessly with more Mental Health. You'd have to conclude there's a lot of people with problems there in RTE. They're obsessed with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Having acquired natural immunity in the last 9 months? Did i miss something? Are you immune if tyou have gotten COVID in that time frame???

busunderer wrote: »
    Ray just claimed that he was the very first person to raise mental health matters in this country.
    Is he for real?

He has now doubled down and claims he was the first person to bake brown bread at home.

Mental Health ?!!?

Time to rebrand RTE to MHFM

They are obsessed with ‘mental health’

What in actual f¥<k?

+ 1000 organisations operating under the guise of Mental Health in Ireland

+ 1000

I think I know what the mental health problem in Ireland is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Acts the hard man with this woman but lets people from other community's waffle on completely unchallenged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Mental Health ?!!?

Time to rebrand RTE to MHFM

They are obsessed with ‘mental health’

What in actual f¥<k?

It's on trend lately, not to disparage those with legitimate concerns but listening to all this would make you feel like you should be suffering from a mental health issue, God forbid that you should have no issues....

That interview was painful with him constantly butting in and talking over her, why doesn't he run so and take up the mantel if he's so passionate about it. I suppose there's the risk he'd have to do some actual work then!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is he for real?

I thought that would be an extraordinary claim to make so I went to the trouble of checking the podcast.

It turns out he never claimed that he was the very first person to raise mental health issues in this country.

Simply untrue.

In fact he said "I didn't start it..."

He then went on to recount how he used the phrase "we have to start a conversation about mental health" in a TV3 documentary".

It's here - https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/ray/programmes/2021/0706/1233462-ray-darcy-tuesday-6-july-2021//

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

elperello wrote: »
    I thought that would be an extraordinary claim to make so I went to the trouble of checking the podcast.

It turns out he never claimed that he was the very first person to raise mental health issues in this country.

Simply untrue.

In fact he said "I didn't start it..."

He then went on to recount how he used the phrase "we have to start a conversation about mental health" in a TV3 documentary".

It's here - https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/ray/programmes/2021/0706/1233462-ray-darcy-tuesday-6-july-2021//

Pedantic much? He said he didn't start it and then rambled on and more or less took the credit for starting it. Half a million Euros a year or whatever he's on - worth every cent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Pedantic much? He said he didn't start it and then rambled on and more or less took the credit for starting it. Half a million Euros a year or whatever he's on - worth every cent. :rolleyes:

It's not in the least pedantic to point out that he didn't say what the other poster claimed he did.

Truth matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

elperello wrote: »
    It's not in the least pedantic to point out that he didn't say what the other poster claimed he did.

Truth matters :)

TBH when I heard him say it I get the same impression that he was the initial champion of it like no one had ever done anything beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Back around 2016 Ray had Helen McEntee on. She'd just been given a junior health minister role which included mental health. She made all kinds of promises and Ray said he'd have her back on in a year to see how she'd done.

Nothing ever became of that.

Did he ask the same of today's junior minister?

While the site was down, I was listening to Ray the day after players at the Euro's had missed important penalties in the shootout.

He was making the point that you'd think players earning so much would not miss.

He said a line like "..but just sometimes those that are paid the most can disappoint you".

He is either trolling us, or doesn't see the irony in that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭bossdrum

He mentioned that BBC had 23 million viewers and ITV only had 7 million.

He said Jenny was wondering why Gary Lineker was paid so much D'arsy said it was because of the audience that he drew.

He didn't bother mentioning that there are no ads on BBC and like RTE,most people will just put that channel on first and leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭archfi

Ray's using so many words ending in T that all i'm hearing is SH**

Heesh - heat

Cash - cat

Nysh - night

Meesh - meet

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement